VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a c2.500 tune, have run my car much this year but had a bunch of good long hard pulls on some fresh total 5w-40 oils and bosch filter. I floored it in 2nd gear it spacked the rev limiter because of lost of traction. "my fualt" i knew it was going to do it. but I blew my # 1 AND 4 CYLINDER COIL. is it from smacking the rev limiter with all that force? they have 70K on them I think i'm just going to replacer all of them now. should I get new spark plugs as well? they only have 10k on them MAX!

PICS for the masses

Modified by eurospec 24vT at 7:59 PM 3-21-2010

· Registered
5,186 Posts
Re: individual coils (eurospec 24vT)

Wow if you really got 70K out of your coils congrats! They are prone to failure. I would not think that hitting the rev limiter would make a coil go out. I have done it by mistake as well and never had any problems. I would just buy the 2 you need and a couple extras to keep in the car in case more fail.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: individual coils (One Gray GLI)

Quote, originally posted by One Gray GLI »
they're just prone to random failure. happened to me driving normal as well.
what plugs do you have in the car? coppers? if so, 10k is sorta long on them.

I think NGK.s I do not not what you mean by coppers.. I know the r32 spark plug is really good should I use them would they be good with my tune?

· Registered
11,821 Posts

Quote, originally posted by eurospec 24vT »

I think NGK.s I do not not what you mean by coppers.. I know the r32 spark plug is really good should I use them would they be good with my tune?

nope, r32 plugs won't work. they're shorter.
bkr7e's, they're a copper plug, as opposed to platinum(stock plugs) or iridiums.
bkr7e's are a colder plug, and most vrt guys run em at .022-.024

· Registered
11,821 Posts

ngk bkr7e's or bkr8e's (depending on how much boost/power you're actually running I guess) at .022-.024. trust me..
turbo kit has nothing to do with it. I run them(8e's now) and car runs perfect, no misfires at all.

· Registered
1,346 Posts

ngk bkr7e's or bkr8e's (depending on how much boost/power you're actually running I guess) at .022-.024. trust me..
turbo kit has nothing to do with it. I run them(8e's now) and car runs perfect, no misfires at all.

He still has the stock mani on so I would image the 7's would work just fine. (boost being in the 8-10psi range, im guessing)
One Gray GLI: why are you running such a small gap? I thought the factory setting was somewhere in the .027-.028 range??

· Registered
9,010 Posts

I run 7E's on 10-18psi. I could probably do with a set of 8E's, but last time I went to buy them it seemed like 7E's were as cold as they went. Where did you get 8E's ?
Quote, originally posted by GLgod »

He still has the stock mani on so I would image the 7's would work just fine. (boost being in the 8-10psi range, im guessing)
One Gray GLI: why are you running such a small gap? I thought the factory setting was somewhere in the .027-.028 range??

Because you can't run that big of a gap with a boosted motor and stock coils, they aren't powerful enough to reliably lit a big gap like that under boost, so you have to go smaller.

· Registered
11,821 Posts
Re: individual coils (GLgod)

Quote, originally posted by GLgod »

the car will miss under boost if I open it up some more, or so I've noticed.

· Registered
4,760 Posts
Re: FV-QR (eurospec 24vT)

^^^ Stock coils are fine - redlining the car has no ill effect on OEM coils. OEM coils are really cheap - just grab a couple extra. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Plasma coils are a waste of money, imo.
Plugs - BKR7EIX (Iridium > Copper) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: Beautiful car, btw... How much boost are you running on that OEM manifold?

Modified by MeiK at 8:28 AM 3-23-2010

· Registered
1,346 Posts

the car will miss under boost if I open it up some more, or so I've noticed.

Sounds like you've experienced it once or twice!

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: FV-QR (MeiK)

Quote, originally posted by MeiK »
^^^ Stock coils are fine - redlining the car has no ill effect on OEM coils. OEM coils are really cheap - just grab a couple extra. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Plasma coils are a waste of money, imo.
Plugs - BKR7EIX (Iridium > Copper) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: Beautiful car, btw... How much boost are you running on that OEM manifold?

Modified by MeiK at 8:28 AM 3-23-2010

14.5 psi and it;s been holding for 2 years now!!! i have a short runner in the works me and my friend are going to fab. up. car puts down 390whp on 13.5psi in summer. cant wait for the manifold.
my spark plugs now are not copper, and have never had one miss fire or anything the coils just died. i just found out they are only 35 a piece or around there from dealer so I'm going to buy 8 just to have 2 extras laying around
have a link for those plugs?

Modified by eurospec 24vT at 8:34 AM 3-23-2010

· Registered
1,032 Posts
Re: FV-QR (eurospec 24vT)

35 a piece doesnt sound too bad right? Its still over priced and could be had for less. German auto parts sells them for 20 a coil plus shipping, you could probably find them cheaper too try MJM.
Buy the ones you need from the dealer and get the spares elsewhere.

· Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: FV-QR (malezlotko)

Quote, originally posted by malezlotko »
35 a piece doesnt sound too bad right? Its still over priced and could be had for less. German auto parts sells them for 20 a coil plus shipping, you could probably find them cheaper too try MJM.
Buy the ones you need from the dealer and get the spares elsewhere.

no doubt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.