VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emails from the previous owner.
what i sent him :
" I was wondering if it actually does have foreged pistons and rods. I tried taking the spark plug out, and looking inside the whole, and i saw alittle silver, and mostly copper/(charger color) stuff. Isnt the forged metal supposed to be shiny? Would i be able to see the rods when i change the oil pan gasket? You were the one who paid for all this work right? So you know what brand rods and pistons are in the motor, right? Sorry for bothering you, but i need to know. I'm just dying, cuase i cant open it up and look at it until a while. Plust my friend is very jelous that i have them, he wanted to see them, and thats when i tried to see them. Is there anyway i can see them easily? Today i took the spark plug nearest to the battery. I took out the plug to the coil too, and cranked it just enough so that the piston was at the top of the cylinder. All i saw was a copper color piston and carbon deposit. PLEASE help me with some info. i havnt had a chance to call Chapman yet, but i will soon. Any info about the stuff would be a big help. THANX AGAIN!!!!"
He said :
"HI, Your almost right. Forged pistons are semi-shiny due to the material
being made out of an aluminum-alloy. They are only shiny when you first get
them in the box. I don't know if you've taken chemistry yet, but you should
know adding heat to any metal, it's physical features will be changed. thus
causing the color to change. If you take of the oil pan, you can't see the
rods, the rods and pistons are located in the "top end" AKA the heads, and
the oil pan diverts to the "bottom end" AKA the block. Regardless, in any
case, you should know they are forged, and your heads are ported and
polished, and will support extreme pressure under limited circumstances.
good luck."
Second email :
"Oh yeah, I also urge you not to mess with the engine too much, unless you
really know what your doing. Some word of advice, do not take out spark plugs
ever, when the engine is hot, or try to plug them back in. when cranking,
make sure all the spark plugs are removed, and the power is unplugged. When
plugging spark plugs back in, use a tighten by hand and then only 30 degrees
after with a wrench,
(do not over-tighten). That's pretty much it, I hope you did your
allignment, so you don't destroy your nice nitto's, and I did you change the
gasket yet? let me know, thanks."

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Re: INFO ABOUT MY PISTONS AND RODS (BiboRado)

why must people pluralize head ie..heads??? these cars only have one head huge pet peave sorry...almost as bad as header(s)...just one people...it often makes me wonder hoe much someone knows about motors when they use these phrases...maybe its just a muscle car upbringing??
Branden... venting....

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

steve you're realy pissing me off, what's this Sh#t about you taken chemistry and crap, this guy is full of it and he think he knows it all, for once would you Fu#$n' listen to what I tell you and do it please, don't ask the PO, I don't care if he's an angel, I told you a million times to call the shop that did the work and ask them, they will know more about it than he does, they put the damn thing together, ur starting to annoy me with this, give me this bastard's email address so I can ask him why my corrado with a stock motor is smoking this so called lightened forged piston, rod, and ported give me some head corrado of yours. can you guys tell him that he will not master the mechanics of a corrado within the 2 weeks he's owned his corrado

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: INFO ABOUT MY PISTONS AND RODS (Padfan1)

hey branden, dude I wanna see your car, so you need to get this thingy on the road and bring her over, I'm realy anxious to see what you've done to her. please give me a call bruthaaaaaaaaaaaa
(619)244-1248

·
Registered
5,139 Posts

"If you take of the oil pan, you can't see the
rods, the rods and pistons are located in the "top end" AKA the heads, and
the oil pan diverts to the "bottom end" AKA the block. "
Sorry but this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. You can most certainly see the bottom of the rods (rod caps) when removing the oil pan, and both pistons and rods are located in the "bottom end" not "top end" or head(s???) as he stated. If he did in fact lead you to believe the engine had aftermarket rods/pistons flat out ask him "you lead me to believe my engine had aftermarket forged rods/pistons..is this the case?". Also ask him to produce receipts for the parts/labor because with his limited knowledge he would have had someone else do the work. In either case good luck.
Brien

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: INFO ABOUT MY PISTONS AND RODS (radoboy)

definitely see receipts.
to install those pistons and rod would require someone infinitely more adept to do (like a machine shop) correctly..
some nice je pistons prolly cost $700 bucks..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: INFO ABOUT MY PISTONS AND RODS (mrkrad)

the only reason i sent him the email was to get proof that he said the car had aftermarket pistons and rods. Just incase. I'm gonna call the shop that built my motor, and gonna ask for the recipts and stuff. I dont listen to what that guy says. I'm sure that the vortex will be much more help then that retard that thinks he knows corrados.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

If he's so sure about the aftermarket pistons/rods, why hasn't he given you any brand names yet????? It would seem like a pretty easy thing to remember.

It sounds to me like he's pulling your leg. Sorry to disappoint you, but don't give up until you find out the truth. I'll help you pull the head off if you need it...it doesn't take more than a few hours to tear it down and put it back together. That seems to be the only way you'll know for sure...but hopefully that shop can help you.
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.