VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '88 16V engine and I was wondering if anyone knows how the different DPR's vary?
I have seen ones spec for an Audi (Various engines) and ones for the VW's. The units look the same but the prices are not!
I found a new Bosch DPR for an Audi selling for around $260 where the same vendor is selling one for the VW for $460!
I can't see where there would be that much difference as they both are designed to work with CIS-E on engines that are nearly the same.

You can "tune" the DPR to alter the A:F ratio and I have on the unit on my engine.
I don't see were you couldn't do that with a unit for an Audi to make it work on a VW?

Am I wrong or is it just that no one has ever tried?

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
There are at least 2 types of CIS-e systems. One, perfect fuel mixture has a DPR current of 0ma, the other one is I believe 10ma but you really need to check that out.

The main reason for this change is because when the electronics failed when the current was suppose to be 10ma, the engine may not start because the fuel mixture would be way too lean. If the 0ma system failed, it would go to basic mixture and more likely would start [and get you home].

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

It may all be moot though.
While working on the car to see why it runs like crap I swapped DPR's and the car wouldn't start.
I swapped back to the DPR that the car had on it and it started right up.
I did "tweek" the DRP a bit first by adjusting the allen screw that behind the slotted screw before I put the good one back on.
The engine ran a bit better which may be telling me that the A:F ratio was off due to this DPR being out of spec.
Could they go bad slowly?

The engine would idle but not take any throttle without going way lean and refusing to rev.
After the tweek it would take some throttle, or at least more than it would take before my tweek.

Now the question is what to do?

I want to sell the car, it's a race car set up to run in SCCA ITA or ITB class.
Do I spend the $4-$500 it will take to get a new DPR or try to find a used one here?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts