VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post, having just recently joined the GTI world.
I've had a 2002 model UK-spec Golf GTI 1.8T (150bhp) for a couple of months now, and, upon curiosity about all the talk on AWD/AWW/AWP engine codes, I thought I'd take look and see what code mine is.
What I found was that my car has an engine code of AUM.

Does anybody have any info on this engine? Is it similar to the AWD/AWW north american engines? I'd like to know, so I can relate talk on mods available for US cars to what is available for mine.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Info on AUM engine? (02BeetleSport)

Erm, it's in the driver's manual - you probably have a sticker or a page with all the option codes on it (engine type, gearbox, paint finish, options, etc.) - plus it's also stamped on the engine itself.
I'm not surprised you've never heard of AUM, as my car is a euro model, but I'm hoping someone does know about it.
PS: My code is stamped right where this guy says he hasn't got one: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=452946

[Modified by HwAoRrDk, 8:59 AM 8-3-2002]

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (HwAoRrDk)

is it drive by wire (electric -bosch control unit) or does it have a throttle cable to the throttle body?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (HwAoRrDk)

I've recently signed up to this forum and have been reading about the differences between the various engine types for a 1.8T in N America.
I've got a 2001 (Jan) Golf GTI 1.8T UK-spec and the engine code is AUM.
So just wondering if anybody has managed to find out how this relates to the different N American ones!
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (tanz)

Hey there HwAoRrDk. I'm in London'ish too (Well, South Herts). And my 01/02 1.8T Beetle has an AWU engine code. I asked about it here before, but no one had heard of it.. But then I think 99% of this forums users are Americans.. Our engines have a subtly different spec. No idea exactly what tho. Probably something to do with emmisions regs I'd guess.
If you can find a UK VW forum, I am sure you will find that your engine code is pretty common amoungst us Brits. UK forums DO exist. But the only one I use, is a Beetle one. Have a search around.. Wont take you long to find one. Tuning techniques are pretty much the same between UK and US spec cars tho.
I can personally vouch for JabbaSport tho, if you want to get some serious Oomph outta yer Golf

·
Registered
291 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (MeetleBan)

my 2002 audi A3T 1.8T has the AUM engine code ... EU4 emissions (early intro) ... D-B-W ... variable cam timing ... KO3 Hybrid ... 50mm d.p. (not 55mm) ... C.R. 9.3-1 ... spec's @ 110Kw/150hp ...
this engine code responds well to ecu chip remap ... however for full benefit you need to install factory 55mm d.p. & catalytic unit from audi tt fwd (132Kw) or golf4 AWW engine (not sold in EU) ... 50mm d.p. is somewhat restrictive at mid-range engine rpm ... the good part is you have 9.3-1 C.R. & v. good lowend torque ...
I would first upgrade front brake pads & rotors, then fit proven catback exhaust (approx 2.5 inch) and then remap ecu ... just for thought ...
the new beetle 1.8T, due to space limitations, has a different intake & exhaust tract & different power/torque curves, then g4 1.8T, but will also respond dramatically to ecu remapping ... same comment re: 55mm d.p. applies ...
lastly, the "cold air intake - CAI" debate rages on ... when a CAI is fitted (MAF issue ignored) very low end torque will be decreased ... your choice ...

[Modified by kwokA3T, 4:39 PM 10-21-2002]

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (tanz)

methinks it's one of the coveted drive by cable cars ... take a picture of the throttle body so we can see if it's DBW like ours in the US or DBC? (Drive by cable)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (Levish)

EU4 emissions compliance is dependent on "D-B-W" thottle body to achieve both low emissions & driveability ... the 155Kw/165Kw (S3/TTQ EU varients) were last to upgrade from EU3 cable to EU4 d-b-w thottles ... 110Kw first & early to go d-b-w ... the cable thottles do not produce the same low rpm fat torque curves ... early intro of EU4 (mandated by regulation 2005) was 3rd quarter 1999 ... Germany has been giving registration tax incentive to those models equipped w/compliant engines ... sorry levish

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: Info on AUM engine? (kwokA3T)

quote:[HR][/HR]early intro of EU4 (mandated by regulation 2005) was 3rd quarter 1999 ... Germany has been giving registration tax incentive to those models equipped w/compliant engines ... sorry levish[HR][/HR]​
No problemo ... I don't mind being wrong, and you've obviously done your homework

1 - 13 of 13 Posts