VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Koni Yellows (Adjustable Sport shocks and struts) and Eibach Prokit springs installed last Tuesday and after a week of playing with the adjustable damping and tire pressure, I am at a stable point.
the look
The car is dropped about ~1.2" all around and still has the factory rake, only lower and looks very balanced. I like the look and would not want to go down any further.

the settings
I am running the front Konis at a notch (on the knob) more than full soft and the rear ones at full soft. The tire pressure in the front is 28psi and at the back is 26 psi on 205/55 R16 tires. I also have a Shine rear sway bar.
the ride and handling
The ride comfort is firm but not harsh (a bit softer than the Shine kit I had earlier) and well damped. The Konis at this setting seem to match the Eibach Prokit springs almost perfect and are quick to control the springs on various surfaces.
The handling is great (the Shine handled a bit better IMHO, but I don't mind this as I like the look) with very little squat and dive during acceleration and braking. There is a little body roll during hard cornering (which can be eliminated by changing the damping on the Konis and/or increasing tire pressure up front) which I like as it keeps it real for me and reminds me of handling limits (which is quite high and most drivers won't reach that). Steering response is good and the car seems to rotate on its axis during cornering (courtesy to the Shine rear bar).
I have the setup at slight understeer tending towards neutral and a little oversteer when pushed hard. This keeps me safe and allows corner entry at slightly higher speeds than an oversteering setup ... I enjoy that.
adjustability
The konis can be setup really stiff to almost eliminate any squat/dive/roll but then ride suffers ... the upside is that such a setup would be great for track days and then back to road settings for daily driving.
More updates as I get some more seat time and maybe a comparison or two. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Re: Initial Review: Koni adjustable Sports and Eibach Prokit springs (pal)

Great writeup!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Good stuff, pal! I am sure that many people, including myself, were waiting to hear the word on the Eibach/Koni setup. So would you say that it is everything you expected? Compared to your previous Bilsteins on the Shine setup, would you say the Konis are softer than the Bilsteins at full soft? And when you are comparing the ride and handling here, is that against the full Shine or the Shine Lite setup?
It is interesting that you are running what most people would call low tire pressures. What were your findings at higher pressures. I found things a little skittish and darty on the highway above 33 psi, but I like 31-32 psi all around, myself.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: Initial Review: Koni adjustable Sports and Eibach Prokit springs (catalytic)

As pal is giving us a great understanding of his new suspension, we should remember he also has the Shine rear bar installed. This will greatly his understeer/oversteer characteristics versus a car with stock bars.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Initial Review: Koni adjustable Sports and Eibach Prokit springs (dmkozak)

I am comparing against full Shine and against half Shine Lite (225 front springs only) ... full Shine Lite (225 front and stock sport rear) was not a very great handling setup as the rears were not very well balanced with the front.
This setup (Koni/Eibach/Shine rear bar) is what seems to be working the best for me as I wanted daily driving comfort (I drive a lot
), good handling, nice looks (this seemed to be a big factor to make the change) and an ability to improve the handling and stiffness when I wanted (at the track mostly and sometimes when I feel like flogging the car a bit
).
At full soft, the Shine would outhandle this setup without breaking a sweat but as I stiffen the Konis the competition becomes closer.
I think one needs to first figure out and prioritize what one wants out of an aftermarket suspension (comfort, looks, handling), then do some research and try and find some cars to ride in. A suspension is something you will look at, feel and drive all the time and sooner or later you will be unhappy if you compromised on something. It is good to hear other peoples experiences, but remember everyone's needs and requirements and more importantly roads are different.
Enough philosophy, I will post some pics of the setup with 15mm spacers in the back sometime later today.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

An addendum to the suspension post ... I have added the suspension spacer from the 2001 and later cars on the front struts and this has reduced roll considerable in the front so I can run full soft on the Konis all around.
A discussion with pics of the suspension spacer is here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=reply&id=2069326

·
Registered
306 Posts

That looks sweet, pal. I've been contemplating the Eibach pro-kit & pro-damper setup, but I've been hearing lots of good things about Konis from friends of mine who auto-x, and I trust their opinion.
I have some questions:
How easy is it to adjust the Konis?
How much did the Konis run you?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Re: Initial Review: Koni adjustable Sports and Eibach Prokit springs (MotoMannequin)

I had the same cocktail for my A2 golf. I loved the set up. The Koni's are a cinch to adjust, takes a matter of seconds. The car handled incredibly. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to Koni and Eibach.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Initial Review: Koni adjustable Sports and Eibach Prokit springs (tachycardia)

Konis are a very versatile shock/strut kit and will go with a variety of springs ... Eibach works well and so do H&R Sports depending on the look and stiffness you want.
The fronts can be adjusted in a matter od seconds but the rears on a MK IV require jacking up the car and removing the lower strut nut and rotating. But so far I never felt the need to change the rears ... just play with the fronts and that seems to work well.
Here is a pic with H&R Trak+ 15mm spacers in the back:

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The fronts can be adjusted in a matter od seconds but the rears on a MK IV require jacking up the car and removing the lower strut nut and rotating. But so far I never felt the need to change the rears ... just play with the fronts and that seems to work well.[HR][/HR]​
I guess that I don't know the rear end of a A4 to well. Here is how I adjust the Koni yellows on my A3.

[Modified by bajan01, 10:40 AM 2-19-2002]

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Initial Review: Koni adjustable Sports and Eibach Prokit springs (bajan01)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I guess that I don't know the rear end of a A4 to well. Here is how I adjust the Koni yellows on my A3.
[HR][/HR]​
The A3 rears are struts just like the front whereas on the A4's the springs sit separately than the shocks in the back ... VW's theory is that this allows them to create more trunk space since the strut/spring combo occupies more space than just a thin shock.
Your pic os how I adjust the fronts.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The A3 rears are struts just like the front whereas on the A4's the springs sit separately than the shocks in the back ... VW's theory is that this allows them to create more trunk space since the strut/spring combo occupies more space than just a thin shock.[HR][/HR]​
That's what I thought, but is the top of the shock hidden somehow???

[Modified by bajan01, 5:41 PM 2-19-2002]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.