VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anyway to turn these on. I assume they are city lights for the European cars? I have ordered the Euro switch so hopefully they will work. They have bulbs in them but don't work with high, low, or flash to pass.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (GTINC)

Quote, originally posted by GTINC »

You mean the high beams? Isn't there a stalk action for that?

No the high beams are part of the main outer HID lights.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (Diesel GLI)

Quote, originally posted by Diesel GLI »
i can;t get a consistent answer on this...
another thread said that the inner lights were the DRL's...
and flash to pass...
I know my DRL's aren't activated. We tried a bunch of different switch combo's last night. They just sat there dark lol. Mocking me again

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i wish i could get a confirmation on this... if the inners are DRL's i will tell my dealer to activate them...
if they are not, i want them deactivated...
You should know instantly, turn the key on and take the parking brake off.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (JettaGLI429)

I thought I heard something before that DOT wanted to have non-HIDs on a car because of response time? So, perhaps they are flash to pass lights? Try driving towards someone you know and hitting your highbeams. See what gets brighter...?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (JettaGLI429)

Quote, originally posted by JettaGLI429 »
I think they only serve as flash-to-pass lights when the HID's are turned off. Pull back on the stalk and they come on. The E46 3-series had a similar arrangement.

You are correct. They are flash to pass lights and only work when the headlights are turned off. Turn the headlights off and pull back on the turn signal stalk, the inner lights will come on. Turn the lights on and they will now work, the high beams will now be activated on the xenons.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (-8v-)

Quote, originally posted by -8v- »

You are correct. They are flash to pass lights and only work when the headlights are turned off. Turn the headlights off and pull back on the turn signal stalk, the inner lights will come on. Turn the lights on and they will now work, the high beams will now be activated on the xenons.

Yup just tested that out. I wish they were city lights. I would rewire them if I didn't get a bulb code.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (-8v-)

Quote, originally posted by -8v- »

that's pretty moronic...
they only work when the lights are off...?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

that's pretty moronic...
they only work when the lights are off...?

Actually it makes perfect sense. VW designed this so you don't have to cycle the HID's on and off during the day for flash to pass. They don't work when the stalk is pushed into the high beam setting, only when pulled back. They are just a daytime aux light to help save the HID life. When the HID's are on and you pull back you get full High Beams.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
This has been a real source of confusion lately, and there's a damn good explanation here, so this is being added to the FAQ. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.