VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Re: (06DeepBlack)

I wish they could be used as 2nd high beams....like with some high wattage bulb......plus flashing....I live in deer country-can always use more light.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (GLIVegas)

Quote, originally posted by GLIVegas »

Actually it makes perfect sense. VW designed this so you don't have to cycle the HID's on and off during the day for flash to pass. They don't work when the stalk is pushed into the high beam setting, only when pulled back. They are just a daytime aux light to help save the HID life. When the HID's are on and you pull back you get full High Beams.

isn't the HID's on for DRL's? if thats the case then can't it just use the regular high beams for flashing with DRL's on? it doesn't seem like its saving much if DRL's are on.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Re: (GaBoYnFla)

Quote, originally posted by GaBoYnFla »
I wish they could be used as 2nd high beams....like with some high wattage bulb......plus flashing....I live in deer country-can always use more light.....

I agree, also I just like having seperate high and low beams. it's hard to flash your lights at someone when they come from the same area, as it's alot harder to notice.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (amerikanzero)

Quote, originally posted by amerikanzero »
Holy crap that tripped me out...r.i.p.

x2! It's wild someone pulled this out of the archives, when there's been recent threads on the same subject.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

x2! It's wild someone pulled this out of the archives, when there's been recent threads on the same subject.

Probably my fault as it's the FAQ thread and I linked it in another thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
this is my first post here, but just to add some info to this...
I have a Golf V 2.0TDI with the Xenon HIDs, and i've been noticing them after reading this thread and i know now that the inner hallogen bulb lights up when the HID is turned off (daytime) but also when they are turned on. So at night time i have 2 beams turning on (the xenon HIDs just lifts a bit) when i flash to pass or turn on the high beams.
bye...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: (06DeepBlack)

Quote, originally posted by 06DeepBlack »
Here's an explanation

So the DRL is in the flash to pass light until the headlights come on....
That is so cool!!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Actually, that's not the case. The DRL is the xenon projector beam (unless set as the fog lamps instead, which is possible).
I'd tried to set the F2P light as the DRL but didn't find a way to do so.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: (waterpumper)

Isn't flash to pass a bit obnoxious? I don't see it much, really rarely, down here.
Not being a jerk, just wondering if people really do a lot of that, or if there is another reason to "flash to pass". I usually get the message when someone rides my bumper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: (colonelburke)

Quote, originally posted by colonelburke »
Isn't flash to pass a bit obnoxious? I don't see it much, really rarely, down here.
Not being a jerk, just wondering if people really do a lot of that, or if there is another reason to "flash to pass". I usually get the message when someone rides my bumper.

Usualy truckers use it, but they turn on and off (or visa versa) their head lights. No high beam flashing or whatever, you don't want to blind him.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts

It's just another common European courtesy feature that we Americans don't use, and take it as a bad thing if someone flashes their lights at us.
I can't believe people keep bringing this post back to life... I guess it's better than new posts that just get the search police.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: (TomClancy)

Remember, you're driving a GERMAN automobile, and they have that wicked thing called the autobahn. Flash to pass is a routine thing over in the motherland. It's actually nice to see a 'German' feature stay on the car... I believe it gives the cars authenticity. HID's are used during the day AND night.
Turn on the brights at night, and listen for the eyelids to retract on the light, giving you full xenon glory.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
...... (unless set as the fog lamps instead, which is possible).
I'd tried to set the F2P light as the DRL but didn't find a way to do so.

The same lamp can be used as a fog too?
Please bear with me while I am tryin to learn about the mkV's
as i am pretty fluent in MK1-4 i am just sarting to learn MK5

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

I can't believe people keep bringing this post back to life... I guess it's better than new posts that just get the search police.

I only posted wondering if the inner light takes over for the HID if it burns out.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Checked on openobd.org, and as far as I can tell, 09 - Central Electronics, Byte 17, Bit 1, should allow for the additional high beams with the Bi-Xenons, but still retain flash to pass feature.. Anyone able to give it a try? I will ask my dealer to see if one of his techies can try it with me, but no guarantees..........

21 - 40 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.