VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Mk5 with HId in canada, and it came out of the factory with no DRL. i noticed it after a week and went back to dealership to inquire. they plug the vagcom and corrected it, and the xenon is the DRL. I asked the tech is it possible for the inner halogen to be DRL, and he replied no. my Question is, can it be done? i do not want to waste the life of the xenon as DRL and i think it can be done somehow...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: (TomClancy)

truckers do it for a different reason. It is to let the passer know they cleared the front of their rig. Turning the lights off and on means you are good to pull back over to the right lane.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: (makmov)

Quote, originally posted by makmov »
truckers do it for a different reason. It is to let the passer know they cleared the front of their rig. Turning the lights off and on means you are good to pull back over to the right lane.

Thank you but I know that already.

I was just telling the guy that other motorists (like Truckers) use flash to pass in a different way.
Flash to pass doesn't have to mean flash your lights and pass someone.
It can be used for many different things. Like if someone is turning left and you are coming straight toward him, you flash you lights to let him know that he can cross your lane and turn.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (Aussiefishy)

Quote, originally posted by Aussiefishy »
I have a Mk5 with HId in canada, and it came out of the factory with no DRL. i noticed it after a week and went back to dealership to inquire. they plug the vagcom and corrected it, and the xenon is the DRL. I asked the tech is it possible for the inner halogen to be DRL, and he replied no. my Question is, can it be done? i do not want to waste the life of the xenon as DRL and i think it can be done somehow...

You can make the fogs the DRL's via VAG-COM, but not the inner lights in the main housing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: (ElkhornVDub)

Quote, originally posted by ElkhornVDub »
Remember, you're driving a GERMAN automobile...Flash to pass is a routine thing over in the motherland...

Russia is the Motherland. Germany is ze Fatherland.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Re: (ElkhornVDub)

Quote, originally posted by ElkhornVDub »
Remember, you're driving a GERMAN automobile, and they have that wicked thing called the autobahn. Flash to pass is a routine thing over in the motherland. It's actually nice to see a 'German' feature stay on the car... I believe it gives the cars authenticity. HID's are used during the day AND night.

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that flashing to pass is considered a fairly aggressive move even in Germany. They just turn on their left blinker from what I'm told, which is a much more polite. I don't think people here would understand that though, unless you happen to find someone that's aus dem Vaterland.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (unreal)

Quote, originally posted by unreal »
I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that flashing to pass is considered a fairly aggressive move even in Germany. They just turn on their left blinker from what I'm told, which is a much more polite. I don't think people here would understand that though, unless you happen to find someone that's aus dem Vaterland.

More commonly used (in UK as well) when you're on a two way road with a passing zone. The flashing gives the driver in front of you awareness that you're about to pass them, as it's not expected as much as on a highway/biway/freeway/motorway.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I spend 10 years in Europe Spain, Italy Greece and flash to pass is as common as the Euro. There are many single lane roads in Europe with enough space for slower cars to move to the right so the flash to pass is used all the time in these cases. Believe me it is safer for the car in front of you to move to the right and let you pass than for you having to move to the opposite lane to pass. Most head on collisions happen in Europe because people move to the opposite lane to pass. A no no on a turn with limited visibility.

·
Registered
135 Posts

If true, I'd agree with them 100%..and they have a speedlimitless autobahn too. Here, if I'm already doing 75 to 80 in a 65, and you flash me in the fast lane, I'm not going to be in too much of a hurry to move over. I'm already exceeding the limit, and because somebody decides I'm not going for a high enough fine/point penalty if I get nailed by a cop, they are going to flash me like I'm driving like a grandma or something? Heck, if they want to really go for it, then just pass me on the right anyway. What's one more moving violation going to do anyway....you want to do 85/90 in a 65, or get popped for improper passing on the right plus speeding. Either way, you take the risk. I ain't gonna speed even more to get out of your way most times if I'm already giving you 10 to 15 over..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: (focalBlur)

Quote, originally posted by focalBlur »
Flash to pass
just like the ford focus HID's

I've wired my HIDS so that the inner lights come on with the HID high beam. Bright as hell.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: (5thVW)

Quote, originally posted by 5thVW »

If true, I'd agree with them 100%..and they have a speedlimitless autobahn too. Here, if I'm already doing 75 to 80 in a 65, and you flash me in the fast lane, I'm not going to be in too much of a hurry to move over. I'm already exceeding the limit, and because somebody decides I'm not going for a high enough fine/point penalty if I get nailed by a cop, they are going to flash me like I'm driving like a grandma or something? Heck, if they want to really go for it, then just pass me on the right anyway. What's one more moving violation going to do anyway....you want to do 85/90 in a 65, or get popped for improper passing on the right plus speeding. Either way, you take the risk. I ain't gonna speed even more to get out of your way most times if I'm already giving you 10 to 15 over..

That's lame. If nobody is in front of you and you can easily yield the lane, move over. If you want to decide what the speed limit really is, get a badge. Or run for state senate.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Re: (WillieF)

Quote, originally posted by WillieF »

That's lame. If nobody is in front of you and you can easily yield the lane, move over. If you want to decide what the speed limit really is, get a badge. Or run for state senate.

X2 well said.
How about if you don't have HID's ?? Will the high beam be in the inner lamps as well as the city lights??

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Re: (5thVW)

Quote, originally posted by 5thVW »

If true, I'd agree with them 100%..and they have a speedlimitless autobahn too. Here, if I'm already doing 75 to 80 in a 65, and you flash me in the fast lane, I'm not going to be in too much of a hurry to move over. I'm already exceeding the limit, and because somebody decides I'm not going for a high enough fine/point penalty if I get nailed by a cop, they are going to flash me like I'm driving like a grandma or something? Heck, if they want to really go for it, then just pass me on the right anyway. What's one more moving violation going to do anyway....you want to do 85/90 in a 65, or get popped for improper passing on the right plus speeding. Either way, you take the risk. I ain't gonna speed even more to get out of
your way most times if I'm already giving you 10 to 15 over..

If someone wants to drive faster than you then move the hell over and let them go and get their tickets. Mind your own business and be courteous to other drivers. People like you piss me off... Learn how to drive

I only flash if the person doesn't get out of my way.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well in true highway driving the left lane is only for passing, some people seem to forget this posted and easy concept.
In the city the left lanes become more of the cruising / driving lane where people tend to go the speed limit + some extra because they are not planning to exit soon. The middle lane(s) are for those who are coming up on an exit or do not know how far away it is. The right lane is for those who are exiting and merging onto the highway, or have their hazards on.
Thus being said, the left lane should have the highest speed, (dont mean speeding but the most constant and the highest speed on the road) the middle should have an average speed, and the right should be average to slower since people are exiting and entering the road way.
Does anyone follow these easy ideas of driving? Not really, a few will but sadly most just go and do their own thing causing problems for all.
I like FTP lights, and use them, I just wish people would realize I want to pass the nutter with the hazards on doing 55 in the left lane. Instead of thinking I am going to pull out a gun and shoot them or something.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: (feuerdog)

Dont wire your car to keep halogen light on, it wont be that much brighter. PLus my Dad works for vw on the audi side and they got a white gti in that caught fire, I beleive it was the front right corner. The investigated it and the cause was the owner wiring his light so that it would stay on.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Re: (tjm7671)

Quote, originally posted by tjm7671 »
Dont wire your car to keep halogen light on, it wont be that much brighter. PLus my Dad works for vw on the audi side and they got a white gti in that caught fire, I beleive it was the front right corner. The investigated it and the cause was the owner wiring his light so that it would stay on.

Actually the inner beam unit IS designed to be constantly on as a traditional halogen High Beam unit....with conventional outer low beams which are housed in the outside unit....All you have to do is look at the photometrics in the reflector to know that they are not only for flash to pass but as designed to throw light out in a high beam pattern... and YES all HL bulbs SHOULD be run using a SEPERATE relay unit each for optimum light and safety for the wiring harness...

Modified by racercx2 at 8:05 PM 7-9-2006

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.