VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Re: (sirAQUAMAN64)

Quote, originally posted by sirAQUAMAN64 »
The inner light only works for me when the car is off, or the parking brake up (DRL Xenons off) and I pull forward to temporarily flash my high beam.

You can get them (inner bulbs) to come on as high beams by recoding...with VAG Com..

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (racercx2)

Quote, originally posted by racercx2 »
You can get them (inner bulbs) to come on as high beams by recoding...with VAG Com..

Some can, some can't. Depends on the control module that the car is equipped with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: (5thVW)

This is EXACTLY the problem with drivers in the united states. In Germany they have mostly 2-3 lane (each side) hgihways and rarely have traffic congestion. In california there are 8-10 lane wide highways and traffic jams everyday. Cocky Americans think that if they are going the speed limit or faster no one else has a right to go faster. Motor in the right lane, pass in the left. Period. If you are hanging in the left lane (even if you are speeding), and someone comes up on you to pass, guess what? you shouldnt be haning in the left anyways. There is an excellent article about this in the latest Euopean Car mag detailing this exact senario, titled "The crux of the problem" (pg 23).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (GLIVegas)

Flash To Pass....Period...some people have set these to come on with the regular lights as well.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (Jetta109)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta109 »
Flash To Pass....Period...some people have set these to come on with the regular lights as well.

Actually that is the case in the USA..however if you look closely at the photometrics in the reflector it is indeed designed to throw light as a regular high beam unit would...Perhaps in other markets they are factory set to be used as high beams and of course flash to pass....as many other cars are even in the USA...look at any late model Accord for example.

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

It's just another common European courtesy feature that we Americans don't use, and take it as a bad thing if someone flashes their lights at us.

x2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: (marm0lade)

The police SHOULD GIVE TICKETS FOR PEOPLE THAT MESS UP THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC. It makes me crazy when someone is in the left lane on a 2-3-4 lane highway doing 55 MPH (or slower.) Drivers in the US are generally inconsiderate SMACKTARDS.
Someone in one the vanity plates posts had a good one: REVO EVOM (move over when someone sees it in their rear view.) I also thought about getting one of those scrolling LED signs and putting it in the rear window: "The left lane is for passing idiot....get over and go back to driving school."

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (racercx2)

Quote, originally posted by racercx2 »
.however if you look closely at the photometrics in the reflector it is indeed designed to throw light as a regular high beam unit would.

Yes, that´s how it works in Europe, regular high beam with bi-xenon high beam. More light --->safety.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
I guess I'm the only one.....

Quote, originally posted by Jumanklaudienssi »
Yes, that´s how it works in Europe, regular high beam with bi-xenon high beam. More light --->safety.

...who doesn't think that VW is a spiteful, mean and evil company that delights in keeping all sorts of neat stuff from the US market.
Since common sense would tell you that it is cheaper to produce one car for the whole world, rather than separate versions for different countries, there has to be a reason.
One reason could be that they are meanies. The other reason could, conceiveably, be found towards the end of this thread that explains the FMVSS.... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...99342
Sheesh.....

Modified by cb1111 at 7:37 AM 10-1-2006

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Re: I guess I'm the only one..... (cb1111)

I set my "flash to pass" inner halogen lights to turn on with my highbeams, so they work as flash to pass light durring the day or night regardless of where my headlight switch is. So here is my light options with a Euro switch.
1. Headlight Switch in off postition, DRLs off, no lights on, pull on stock and get center FTP lights on only.

2. Position one parking lights on, pulling stock for FTP centers again.

3. Position one and pull gets parking plus front fogs (and rear too 2nd pull), pulling stock lights up FTP centers still.

4. 2nd position turns on Parking, front fogs (and rear), low beam HID. Now this is where it gets fun, pull stock to open HID eyelids AND center FTP halogens. Push stock to keep ALL lights on (including F&R Fog) with HID eyelids open.

this will light up your day and night.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: (colonelburke)

Quote, originally posted by colonelburke »
Isn't flash to pass a bit obnoxious? I don't see it much, really rarely, down here.
Not being a jerk, just wondering if people really do a lot of that, or if there is another reason to "flash to pass". I usually get the message when someone rides my bumper.

The whole point of flash to pass is so you get out of the way before someone is on your ass. It's a polite reminder to you that you are in the fast lane when you shouldn't be

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: (5thVW)

Quote, originally posted by 5thVW »

If true, I'd agree with them 100%..and they have a speedlimitless autobahn too. Here, if I'm already doing 75 to 80 in a 65, and you flash me in the fast lane, I'm not going to be in too much of a hurry to move over. I'm already exceeding the limit, and because somebody decides I'm not going for a high enough fine/point penalty if I get nailed by a cop, they are going to flash me like I'm driving like a grandma or something? Heck, if they want to really go for it, then just pass me on the right anyway. What's one more moving violation going to do anyway....you want to do 85/90 in a 65, or get popped for improper passing on the right plus speeding. Either way, you take the risk. I ain't gonna speed even more to get out of your way most times if I'm already giving you 10 to 15 over..

Exactly why we need the FTP, because YOU decide that I can't drive faster than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Making people pass on the right is IMMATURE..............................MOVE OVER AND GET OUT OF THEIR WAY. That is why in Canada they give tickets for DRIVING in the left lane, it should be for PASSING ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 GLI // 18 Audi S4
12,590 Posts
Re: I guess I'm the only one..... (GotHerFast)

Quote, originally posted by GotHerFast »
Holy thread re-resurrection batman!

I've seen worse... 2004 I believe

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Re: (EM06GTI)

Quote, originally posted by EM06GTI »

Exactly why we need the FTP, because YOU decide that I can't drive faster than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Making people pass on the right is IMMATURE..............................MOVE OVER AND GET OUT OF THEIR WAY. That is why in Canada they give tickets for DRIVING in the left lane, it should be for PASSING ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that and I HATE the people that drive in the left lane because they are going over the speed limit (who cares how fast you were going, if you are getting passed, you are getting passed) when I approach from the rear, flash with no response, and move to the right to pass and they pull over at the last second to the same right lane, then I have to brake and swerve back to the left to pass them after all... FTP gives a kind reminder somone wants to overtake you... regardless of the speed you are doing if someone wants to go faster give the courtesy and move to the right. Noone said you were driving like a grandma at 85-90 in a 65... but if I come up on you at 105-120 and I flash you 1/8 mile away, you obviously are not going fast enough to need to be in the left "fast" lane... move over to the right unless you are overtaking another vehicle... that is the law in most places around this country. Move right except to pass, period. Now if you are passing someone as I come up on you... I will slow down to allow you to pass safely, but be aware of your surroundings and don't make me ride your ass to get you to pull to the right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'm glad i searched the forums. saved me a trip into the dealer to ask about it! did VW really think that people would use this "flash to pass" that much that they would need to try to save the xenons by designing the lights in this fashion? i believe in my 2001.5 passat these lights worked as the normal daytime running lights. that's why i was confused. i guess these lights on my GLI will get no use at all.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (GLIVegas)

ya that "flash to pass" light is just a big waste... slap some gold bulbs in and do the proper rewiring for some city lights:)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (jMkV)

ok, newbie time

so..if the ftp lights ONLY work when the Xenons are off...how do you ftp @ night when they are on? It maybe the stupidest question ever, but rereading this thread made me wonder as I am looking to start using this courtesy...

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.