VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI 6MT
1,884 Posts
Re: inner headlights next to HID on GLI (nymike)

Quote, originally posted by nymike »
ok, newbie time
so..if the ftp lights ONLY work when the Xenons are off...how do you ftp @ night when they are on? It maybe the stupidest question ever, but rereading this thread made me wonder as I am looking to start using this courtesy...

Your bi-xenon shutter move and you flash your highbeams at night. Since the lights are already on, the only thing that needs to happen is the movement of the shutter.
If you have coded your cluster to UK, your inner and bi-xenons flash.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: (EM06GTI)

Quote, originally posted by EM06GTI »

Exactly why we need the FTP, because YOU decide that I can't drive faster than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Making people pass on the right is IMMATURE..............................MOVE OVER AND GET OUT OF THEIR WAY. That is why in Canada they give tickets for DRIVING in the left lane, it should be for PASSING ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have drivers like that here all the time. I had a guy at work tell me he deliberately drives 70 (the speed limit) in the left lane regardless if he's passing or not just to piss people off. With people with like that you just can't win.
As for FTP, I don't dare use it. With regular road rage incidents here in Southeast Mich. that just asking for it. (let alone expecting someone to actually move over)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: (marm0lade)

Quote, originally posted by marm0lade »
This is EXACTLY the problem with drivers in the united states. In Germany they have mostly 2-3 lane (each side) hgihways and rarely have traffic congestion. In california there are 8-10 lane wide highways and traffic jams everyday. Cocky Americans think that if they are going the speed limit or faster no one else has a right to go faster. Motor in the right lane, pass in the left. Period. If you are hanging in the left lane (even if you are speeding), and someone comes up on you to pass, guess what? you shouldnt be haning in the left anyways. There is an excellent article about this in the latest Euopean Car mag detailing this exact senario, titled "The crux of the problem" (pg 23).

Amen brother! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

And for those in the US that are nervous about the strange stigmata that surrounds FTP lights here - I suggest getting a Euro switch - and just switching the headlamps on and off... Weak that we need the Euro switch to solve an American problem...

Modified by ZenDriver at 2:58 PM 11-4-2006

·
Registered
21,522 Posts
Re: (ZenDriver)

The OP I believe has since passed on. Glad to see his thread still lives on.

·
Registered
30,716 Posts
Re: (.:1of1500:.)

ready for yet another resurection ?

OK I dont own a MK5 and I already spent too much time searching, how do I get the halogen bulb to come on at the same time as the HID high beam flap motor.
I am doing that on a friend's car, he said set the instrument cluster to "Scandinavia" but that didnt appear on the VAG COM menu, the closest phonetically correct was "Saudi Arabia" which I set it to and it worked, both high beams were on ..... but now the car beeps every time it is over 75mph until you slow down, although the speed limiter alarm thingy function is set to 0 ! the car is a 2007 GLI.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: (71sbeetle)

You can use VAG-COM to set the car for "UK" and you will have all four headlights on for high beam. You can also set the fog lights to stay on in high beam, if you want that light as well. Setting the car for UK keeps the MFD displays in miles. You will need to go back into your MFD and change the clock back to 12 hour format, if that is your preference and the temperature back to F, not C. You will also have to select US gallons, not Imperial gallons.
I have done this and it works great. I think that in the process I also lost the chime reminder about when I have the key in the ignition with the door open.
You can do all of this with the helper codes, you don't need to work the bits of the long codes. There are a number of posts that describe the details.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: (colonelburke)

Almost all late model cars have a flash to pass feature installed. It's actually very smart to have standard halogen f2p lights instead of firing up your ballast/HID setup every time some idiot is doing 55mph in a 70mph zone.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
Re: (.:1of1500:.)

Quote, originally posted by .:1of1500:. »
The OP I believe has since passed on. Glad to see his thread still lives on.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

You need to find someone with VAG-com, you can do about anything you want. we shut off the DRL and the lame 3 blink function for the blinkers, on the jetta 2.5 you can set the function (car off lights off, hit the blinker one way or the other and the tail light and head light will turn on to that side)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: (unreal)

Quote, originally posted by unreal »

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that flashing to pass is considered a fairly aggressive move even in Germany. They just turn on their left blinker from what I'm told, which is a much more polite. I don't think people here would understand that though, unless you happen to find someone that's aus dem Vaterland.

Hmm funny. I do the left blinker thing all the time, and in fact it worked two times for me just today, its pretty logical actually, what else could it mean?
And yes, lichthupen- flashing your headlights is only allowed in Germany for emergencies. Not that its enforced that much. Most people move over without reminder. If you do it to people even when they can't, it would be seen as aggressive. First you use your blinkers, then if they're clueless, the FTP.
And also, do I have to have Vag-com to all the functions of the euro switch and delete DRL?
I'm clueless.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: (ElkhornVDub)

Quote »
It's actually nice to see a 'German' feature stay on the car... I believe it gives the cars authenticity.

Well then I guess my '06 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD is authentically German.
Please - flash to pass is common on most American cars. There is nothing German about it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Hey buddy...listen up!
Nothing in this thread has answered the question. BECAUSE...your DRL AUTOMATICALLY come on EVEN IF YOUR HEADLIGHT SWITCH IS OFF!!!
And the DRL's are in the HID's.
SO...once again...they only come one with the switch at OFF...and only when you pull back on the turn indicator..and ONLY when the ignition is OFF!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hey buddy...listen up!
Nothing in this thread has answered the question. BECAUSE...your DRL AUTOMATICALLY come on EVEN IF YOUR HEADLIGHT SWITCH IS OFF!!!
And the DRL's are in the HID's.
SO...once again...they only come one with the switch at OFF...and only when you pull back on the turn indicator..and ONLY when the ignition is OFF!
Uhh, I beg to differ.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Those headlights are capable of being turned on while the vehicle is running.

Now you can't say I didn't contribute. And it really isn't THAT old...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Those headlights are capable of being turned on while the vehicle is running.

Now you can't say I didn't contribute. And it really isn't THAT old...
This thread is officially back from the dead people. Just bought an '09 GLI. Can you elaborate how that is possible (from the quote above)? Do you mean running or driving? From what I've read/seen, the halogen flash-to-pass lights are only active when flicking toward the driver when the HID lights are NOT on.

During the day: HID lights are on as DRL. Flicking the stalk toward the driver uses the HID high beams.
During night time: HID lights are on because, well... the lights are on! Flicking the stalk toward the driver uses the HID high beams.

Pretty sure those two time frames cover the 24 hour period of a day. :)

Only time I can see the halogen flash-to-pass lights working are when the HID lights are off: when the car is off, or when the car is sitting with the parking brake on. Anyone care to say otherwise?

Perhaps the "feature" is meant for cars without DRL?

Thanks!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.