VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess a screw fell out while I was driving, and my inner fender rubbed against my tire and ripped the Inner fenders plastic off. My question is, do I just need to replace that one piece of plastic or another? The photos might be hard to see, but I think another piece might of broke off, because the belt is exposed? Or am I stupid and it’s just one piece?
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Tread
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Steering part Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Bumper Sleeve Gesture Automotive lighting

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
136 Posts
looks like you are after at least 3 pieces. The fender liner itself, then there is a plastic piece that mounts to the bottom of the beam. The threaded looking posts hold it up with some spring disc retention clip things. Then there is another plastic piece that extends off the shroud at the bottom of the radiator back. It attaches to the side piece. If you have a junk yard and a t20 you should be able to find all these parts for cheap. Also be able to stock up on the screws.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like you are after at least 3 pieces. The fender liner itself, then there is a plastic piece that mounts to the bottom of the beam. The threaded looking posts hold it up with some spring disc retention clip things. Then there is another plastic piece that extends off the shroud at the bottom of the radiator back. It attaches to the side piece. If you have a junk yard and a t20 you should be able to find all these parts for cheap. Also be able to stock up on the screws.
Okay, thank you very much! Can you help me with a link or the name of the plastic I might need to get? Just so I know exactly what I'm looking for, and you think I'm still good to drive it or should I leave it till I get these pieces?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Okay, thank you very much! Can you help me with a link or the name of the plastic I might need to get? Just so I know exactly what I'm looking for, and you think I'm still good to drive it or should I leave it till I get these pieces?
I have done 20k miles in 1 year with the plastic fender line just like yours. In a worse state actually. I don't know what the previous owner did but the plastic fender is completely broken. Also including a 8k mile roadtrip over the span of 1 month and track days.

Needless to say I think you should be fine. Maybe you would be worried about rocks or stones kicking up and hitting the AUX belt but I haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
2001 GTI
15 Posts
I would at least replace the cover plate which protects the v-belts. Considering the state of your plastics, you're probably missing the rest of the set as well.

For a VR6 24V Jetta, I believe the following are the correct part numbers:
1JM809957 - Front Left fender Liner
1JM809958 - Front Right Fender Liner
1J0825250AC - Engine Cover Plate
1J0825245J -Transmission Cover Plate
1J0825237AD - Belly Pan

Dorman makes decent replacement cover plates, and they come with the required hardware. You can get them at rockauto for around $20 each (Fender liners for $10! if you're okay with cheap plastic).
924017 - Engine Cover Plate
924016 - Transmission Cover Plate
924200 - Belly Pan

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Good time to clean out the backside of the fender (behind the fender liner) since you'll have the liner off already. Dirt (and therefore water) collects at the lowest point of the fender on back side (close to the door) and rust out the fender.

·
Registered
Golf Mk IV, NA 1.4 LPG, 6-speed manual
97 Posts
You lost at least three components.

If you loose the aux belt then the power steering abruptly stops (dangerous on a curve) and when the alternator stops then the engine is going to drain battery and then stops (but takes some time). I'd say this is safety issue and you should not drive like that.

What you hold is the side cover of belly pan. Its remains. The edges of the fender look like were cut out with a knife to gain access to aux belt. The tyre shaves off plastic, it leaves different, sharp edges.
Besides, there is a dirty white tape inside, indicates someone was trying to **** up something long time ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts