VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Input on $27.5k Sports Cars (911, Cayman S, M3, Z4 M Coupe...)

33K views 292 replies 74 participants last post by  smstiles 
#1 ·
I've gotten to a point in my life (typical mid life crisis sports car age 39?) where we have the financial freedom to purchase a third car. I would like to purchase the late model sports car I've always wanted, but never had the means to justify purchasing.

In the past I've had a 2000 Sentra SE-R, 2001 S4, 2005 WRX, and finally a 2012 GTI as daily drivers. After encountering some reliability issues with the GTI, I've fully embraced Dad life and daily a leased 2018 Sonata. It does the job, but man, what an appliance. We have a 2016 4Runner which is paid off and intend on keeping forever, will probably end up being our oldest kids first car. Now that I've discovered the appeal of leasing, I plan on always leasing a family sedan.

I'm open to TFL comments, but with all the above being said, I'm seeking input on vehicles I should and shouldn't look into. I'm comfortable spending $25-30K, four seats would be nice(obviously not a deal breaker), must have Manuel, and something I could wrench on a little would be nice too. Would like to keep mileage low, shooting for 60k and under

Currently hunting 996's (seems like a early 997 is a possibility, but probably just out of my budget with my mileage constraint), Cayman S, E92's, and Z4 M coupes. Any advice, things I should look for, avoid etc...?

I'm all over the place, in no rush and easily swayed.

What would you be after with the same budget in mind?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to say without knowing what you like and what your style is. You've owned a bunch of understeer in the past...is that a route that you want to continue going down? Or do you want to switch it up?

Which sports cars have you driven that you liked?

For me, the best sports car in that price range is a BRZ. That's why I own one. But I also drive on very tight, twisty roads, and prefer to spend as much time near redline as possible.

Out of what you mentioned, the E92 M3 and Z4M are too lazy and heavy for me. The 987, 996, and 997 are excellent cars, but you'll probably need a maintenance fund on the side; my 986 was cool but it seemed like I was always fixing stuff for two years (window regulators, MAF, cats, fuel pump, shifter box, and more). Porsches always seem to make your wallet ache, but you always forget it when you're behind the wheel.

S2000's are fantastic too, although values are rising.

But, it's hard to recommend unless you tell us what you like. Some dudes think a Mustang is their ideal sports car, and some people think it's a 1967 Datsun Roadster. Just depends on what you're looking for :thumbup:

#5 ·
:
Out of what you mentioned, the E92 M3 and Z4M are too lazy and heavy for me.
Have you ever even driven a Z4M? I don't disagree that it's a heavy car for its size. But lazy, seriously??

Z4 M Coupe is a special car IMHO. I sold mine after 8 years of ownership and regretted it IMMEDIATELY. Took me a couple of years but I decided I had to have another and righted that mistake a year ago. I'm not parting with this one, ever. It's a special car, and a rare one at that.

#8 ·
For $27K play it safe, it might be a little less fun, but this also means a lot less headaches, especially since it's brand new.

#50 ·
For $27K play it safe, it might be a little less fun, but this also means a lot less headaches, especially since it's brand new.

Normally I don't rag on people's replies but this is 100% the wrong strategy. OP has a reliable DD and is looking for a fun and special 3rd car that he can savor on the weekends. This is not the place for a totally logical brand new Toyota with a warranty. He's already playing it safe by leasing a new Hyundai, how much more safe does he need in his life? The 3rd car is supposed to be exciting, lustful, and totally NOT playing it safe.

Back on topic, a Cayman S or a 911 is a great choice. While they're not brand new Toyota reliable, there's a reason so many Porsche cars rack up very high mileage. Also let's keep in mind you'll probably be putting less than 3K miles on the car a year being a 3rd car so reliability becomes even less of a concern. Also unlike a brand new car an older Cayman or 911 has the potential to either hold or increase in value over time...more so with the 911 because it's a 911. That said my choice is buy a 996 911. Is a Cayman faster or whatever? Sure, but as a first sports car to buy, I think you'd be better off ticking the 911 box.

Speaking of 996 911's, the other week I was walking my dog and stumbled across what was an unusually nice looking 996 parked on the street. My only issue was the LED tails and 997 wheels fitted to the car, all of which is easily fixed. Turns out that car is now for sale on CL...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/los-gatos-1999-porsche-carrera-4/7014872360.html

...again minus some easily reversed "upgrades" the car appears to be in damn near perfection condition in the places that matter (mechanically sorted, perfect paint, un fogged headlights suggesting it's been well pampered, barely worn interior).

#14 · (Edited)
I hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth here. I have NO experience with any of these cars, and I'll openly admit that. The only thing that I'll say is that, given your list and what you say you want, the m3 sounds like a compromise car. Thats kinda its shtick. Its the hot sedan/coupe that you can daily drive. That doesn't sound like sports car to me. Since I have no experience with these cars I cant recommend one in particular per say, but I'd say look for a c6 grand sport to check out. I've heard great things about them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#173 ·
Having dailied an e90 m3 the past two+ years I wholeheartedly agree. It's the greatest all around car I've ever owned but by design it does have some compromises. It's not a full on sports car and it's not the most practical car you can find. It's a balanced car with incredible handling and one of the best motors I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. However I'm currently getting it ready for sale so I can buy a more practical daily and a fun car for weekends.

Personally I would at least check out s2000s and nc (even ND in your price range with money to spare) Miatas but I think a fun car benefits greatly from a convertible top. Otherwise a boxster or Cayman would be my choices.

Before I had my first s2000 I didn't care for convertibles but now I love them.

#15 ·
The best sports car ever made; Cayman/Boxster. For that coin you can find a 987.2 - 981 gen, if you like to rev happy get the smaller 2.9/2.7 base motors, if you want larger brakes and a little more oompf get an S model. They do it all; and most importantly deliver on every single point of what defines enjoyable motoring. You can argue it isn't a 911, but then you can also argue it isn't a 911. Everything is documented, everything is available and you can't drive 100 miles without hitting some sort of club/support for the car. It's driving bliss.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the FRS/BRZ/GT86 and any of the 'hot' stuff, too; SI, 1LE, R, SRT, Saleen, Abarth, M, etc. All great cars - but for your 3RD CAR, for simple motoring pleasure, I'd make it something both special and beautiful.

Other recommendations;
S2000 since they are inexpensive given your budget, interesting and high quality cars
911 (for the 2+2) any year you can afford; 996 is a great buy, 997 is at the bottom of the curve and an even better car, SC/3.2 are it for aircooled
Kit-Cobra because life is short and a C5Z just isn't crazy enough

Going too extreme; Alfa 4C, Elise, Morgan 4/4 you may find your day off to enjoy the open road ruined by a key that isn't starting anything and/or a car in a shop or on jackstands waiting for parts! :mad:

#20 ·
So a 997 then :D

or JL! :laugh: (don't knock it, convertible, RWD, manual, great resale, etc, etc.)

I've owned some version of a few of the cars mentioned in here, and I think the sentiment that implied you shouldn't get something "normal" is spot on. 981 cayman would be great, but boxster would be better, cuz convertible an 3rd car.

Similarly, Z4MR > Z4MC in this case.

#21 ·
I like 997s, but what about a 996 turbo? I also wouldn't waste time on a 4cyl Boxster/Cayman.

Or go a bit extra and get one of these ;)

#23 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Some really good insights.

So definitely no convertibles, just not my thing. Also a hard pass on the toyaru twins, my Dad had one for 3 years, wasn't impressed. As much as I am interested in some late model American muscle, that's a no as well. Just about all of the late model muscle cars mentioned have quite a ways to depreciate with exception of maybe the 1LE. A classic muscle car isn't out of the question, but I would want more of a build project and that just is not in the cards right now with my youngest being two years old.

Some of you brought up an excellent point. I'm not in the financial position I'm in at 39 by making poor monetary decisions. That being said, this is a car I plan on keeping for awhile, but the plan is for it to sustain its value and I would not be sad if it appreciated. I think the cars I'm interested in fit that bill.

I suppose I'm hoping for a fun 2+2 to bring the older kids once in awhile. This will be a cruising/date night/cars & coffee kinda car for me, not planning on dragging or tracking it.

Were fortunate to live in the Sacramento suburbs so I have access to a lot of great cars and roads.

At this point I think I'd jump at a clean example of any of the four listed in my price range with low miles and a clean title.

#27 ·
At this point I think I'd jump at a clean example of any of the four listed in my price range with low miles and a clean title.
Which of those cars have you driven? Which was your favorite?

Your list is all newer stuff. Nothing wrong with that--new cars are great. But since you mentioned possible appreciation in value, which is unlikely with most examples of the cars you mentioned, are you interested in Radwood-era cars? I agree with what others have said about needing more "special" in this 3rd car. Maybe an E36 M3 or Z3M Coupe instead of E92 or Z4M?

You said you want a 2+2...what about a 928, 944 Turbo, or 968? Celica All-Tracs are pretty fun after the usual tuning mods; you could even go for a Golf R32 or similar if that floats your boat. How about an Integra Type R?

Personally, I'm with you, that's why I'd take something like a Miata or Abarth 124 (I prefer the Abarth, 800 lbs than a Z4M), or a Lotus Elise/Exige, before anything like an E92 M3. The BRZ is excellent.
Word :thumbup:

Everyone is different, though. All of us are looking for our own particular experience behind the wheel. For example, I've driven a few of the new Mustang GT's, and although it's a good car that I actually like, I decided not to buy one because it's just not for me. But if someone does want one and buys one, I fully support that decision.

#25 ·
This is a very good recommendation.

#26 ·
If I were you I would get a car that would allow you to install car seats as well so that you can involve your kids as well. Out of your list it would be the E92. Yes, it cannot compare to the Porsches but you can have fun by yourself at a track or taking them our for a Sunday cruise.

#28 ·
You'll get a lot more 987 than 911 for that budget, though I realize that won't let you bring multiple kids along. Either a 987.2 S or a Base + suspension/shifter/throttle mods will easily fit the bill.

I just dropped off a buddy at LAX, crawling through horrible traffic, while dodging buses and shuttles. Once I got under the tunnel and I was able to find an open lane, I went from 15 to 60 in a short enough time span to put a smile on my face, flat-6 noises bouncing off the walls, and it was yet another reminder that even the base car has sufficient power for the street. :thumbup:

#30 · (Edited)
I love Caymans, but I don't think they fit your description here being 2-seats and relatively unforgiving to work on. Aside from having no [engine] hood, they're meant to be serviced on a lift--there's four jack points but no obvious points for jack stands. The 996/997 idea would be a lot better suited with two extra seats and slightly better engine access; it's mostly going to depend on what you find. It's good that you're not in a hurry; I'd recommend checking out a bunch of cars and you might find the one.

Also, I think a BR-Z as mentioned by other posters would be a fantastic fit here. Has a kid-sized jump seat, easy to work on, available parts and mods, some easily accessed meaningful upgrades like wheels and tires, and at your price point you can build one to order. FR vs MR is something to consider, but that's as much personal preference as anything; having one of either layout in the house I wouldn't say one is unilaterally better driving...and that's without even considering practicality.

#31 ·
Base 987.2 or 987.1 S is a good recommendation. I can't think of another car that will come close in terms of sensation, forward acceleration notwithstanding. It does have an IMS scare, but I never changed mine, mostly because it's so damn intensive. Find a car with a lot of regular oil changes not just based on mileage but also time. Skip a low, low mileage car. Sitting oil likes to foul ( or some other word) after time and the gas and water contaminates become more lethal going through the engine.

Car was pretty reliable for me, save cramped quarters for maintenance. Pulling out coil packs were a moderate pain. The really cool thing is that the intake is right behind you, so it really sings when you get into the higher RPM band and it really wants to be revved. Shifter was kinda meh. If I had to do it all again, I would have spent the $1K for a CAE shifter.

If you're thinking about getting one, look for one with PASM. Not that it really needs it, but you're leaving the door open for a DSC box in case you end up using the car for longer highway trips or 10/10ths it at the track.

One thing I will say is the Porsche tax is REAL and extends down to 987s, as a lot of OEM Motorsports parts are interchangeable between model lines, so you may pay out of the ass for a control arm or something. There are some parts that come starting with a 959 stamp, so that's really cool imo. Weird stuff like that oddly makes one feel like its motorsports and advanced technologies do trickle down.

It's also got a center exhaust!

#34 ·
Coming from left field..

I'd buy a 6MT 128i for 10-15k, add suspension and LSD and call it done. Great fun car, and very useable for daily purposes.
It's light, weighs just about the same as a 987.2 Cayman. Reliable with the N52 engine. Great handling. Normal sized rear seats. Its also a safe car that can be used a fun sporty car or as a regular daily.

I had one, loved it to bits, sold it and got a 987.2 Cayman S for a daily, didn't care for that and regretted selling the 128i for how fantastic of a car it is.

#37 ·
A bit in left field, but how about a Factory Five 818? Built cars seem to come in a bit below your budget. Obviously, the key will be finding a really well built example. Has the potential to be a lot quicker and a lot more special than any production vehicle in your range. If you have the space for a third vehicle, why bother with something that's a credible daily?

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/2014/factory_five/818/101184477

#39 ·
Couldn't be happier with my 996. I'd highly recommend for you to go this route. Flew out to FL to pick mine up, once I found the right one (C2+manual, IMS/AOS addressed, under 100k miles, new clutch, and not black/silver/gray). I was also considering Caymans, but ultimately I wanted a backseat. Now I have an excuse to take the kids to soccer practice, sleepovers, etc. in the fun car.

#40 ·
I hear you on the 4Runner I'll never get rid of my 2015 Trail Premium or my 2006 GTI. I've owned several proper sports cars "2 seats" my last was a 2010 Nissan 370Z Nismo it was a very great car heavy but great handling and sounded amazing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.