VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my CAI installed and looks great, but looks aren't everything... Anyway, I have a question about the air flow, when I step on the accelerator it revs really nicely, but when I let go there is a load woooosh of AIR. This is my first Euro tuning stuff, well sway bar was first and that was easy, but was wondering if this is how a CAI is supposed to sound. Any input would be great.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Installed AEM CAI question though (Are_Ohbi)

Ok, well its an intresting sound, at first I was wondering if I was missing some extra tightening around the air filter, but I guess its the excess air knocking around the pipe after the turbo turns off?

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Installed AEM CAI question though (ATXGTI)

Quote, originally posted by ATXGTI »
OMG...

Fine I won't I will read the companies web sites then
Sorry we are all not Graduate students from the School of EuroTuning... Forums are for asking questions numb nuts

Modified by yellow20thgti at 3:09 AM 7-13-2003

· Registered
7,719 Posts
Re: Installed AEM CAI question though (yellow20thgti)

the "woosh" you hear is the DV recirculating air back into the intake tract. With all that silenceing equipment gone and a huge tube stuck in its place, it amplifies the sound a lot.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Installed AEM CAI question though (germanrox)

Will the 007 DV help in keeping most of the air from recycling.. I do love the added roar it gives but the break off of Air rushing back I would like to try and eliminate it?

· Registered
7,719 Posts

Quote, originally posted by yellow20thgti »
Will the 007 DV help in keeping most of the air from recycling.. I do love the added roar it gives but the break off of Air rushing back I would like to try and eliminate it?

the air is SUPPOSED to go back. that is why it is called a DIVERTER VALVE. when the throttle closes, it creates extreme pressure between the turbo and the throttle body since the turbo is still sending air down the line but it now has nowhere to go. that "woosh" is the backed up air venting as to eliminate compressor surge.

· Registered
5,998 Posts
Re: Installed AEM CAI question though (germanrox)

Quote, originally posted by germanrox »

the air is SUPPOSED to go back. that is why it is called a DIVERTER VALVE. when the throttle closes, it creates extreme pressure between the turbo and the throttle body since the turbo is still sending air down the line but it now has nowhere to go. that "woosh" is the backed up air venting as to eliminate compressor surge.

translation: your car is supposed to make the woosh sound when you let off the throttle.

· Registered
3,312 Posts

Fine I won't I will read the companies web sites then
Sorry we are all not Graduate students from the School of EuroTuning... Forums are for asking questions numb nuts

You will be ok...I just like the response about the AEM on the Type R. I think he is talking about when you shut the car off, and you can still here the car sucking in air for a few moments. I just didn't want to bust on anyone, because I figured I would get flamed. But looks as if I got flamed anyways. Sorry...
I am glad that you now have a stock boosted motor, you will not regret it. Ask your questions away, and hopefully you will get some real answers. When I saw the Type R answer, I just shut down. I will try to be more helpful in the future, along with most of us here. Again, sorry, enjoy the new 20th!

· Registered
3,312 Posts

... Forums are for asking questions numb nuts

Oh yeah and take that back...

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Installed AEM CAI question though (ATXGTI)

Quote, originally posted by ATXGTI »

Oh yeah and take that back...

No way I am rubber and you are glue... Ok, back to post well I am starting to either (get used to) or enjoy the whoosh, and after talking with some vortex folks it sounds like a DV is not needed until I either 1. Blow the factory or 2. Chip the car.. Hope number 1 happens soon

· Registered
3,312 Posts

No way I am rubber and you are glue... Ok, back to post well I am starting to either (get used to) or enjoy the whoosh, and after talking with some vortex folks it sounds like a DV is not needed until I either 1. Blow the factory or 2. Chip the car.. Hope number 1 happens soon

Yeah you will need to replace the factory DV when you chip your car, but it is not a bad idea to go ahead and do that next. This way when you do chip your car, you will not have any worries. And you definitely to get some suspension!
Suspension, DV or BOV, then chip that biotch!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.