VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a premolded carpet from stockinteriors.com It was made for a Jetta III but it fit in my Golf, barely. From the time I started disassebling my interior 'til I got it back together it was 5 hrs, and many muscles are tired. There are no holes in the carpet only a pan mold which gets distorted in shipping. You must trim everythingincluding the sides. It is barely long enough. Just makes it under the back seat bottoms. I made a few errors but hard to notice. The problems I encountered were the padding glued to the underside. I don't know why padding is needed as the original carpet has none but the floor is padded. Cutting through the padding is hard, boy was it hard. Threads everywhere. Went through 2 utility knife blades (both sides). The manufacturer recommends laying the old carpet on top of the new to mark but it doesn't work as the original is too shaped and besides I didn't want the grunge from my old to get on my new one. The new carpet is thicker and more so with the padding. This creates difficulty with fitting the rear seats and the front console. Cutting the seat tracks was very hard, especially the inside ones. Cutting for the rear console was also hard due to the thick underpadding. Halfway through I was sorry I started. But all in all I'm glad I did it. It may have been easier to just purchase rolled carpeting and using double-sided tape. I would not buy this stuff again with the padding glued on.

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Re: Installed aftermarket carpet, 5hrs!!! (still got it)

How much did the carpet cost you? Is it good quality stuff?
Is there anywhere that sells OEM carpet, other than the dealer?

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Installed aftermarket carpet, 5hrs!!! (reynolds9000)

Go to the web site. I think it was $119. It's better than stock as it is cut pile, not loop. Should be easier to vacuum. It was the cheapest I could find. Personally I would try buying two rolls of black utility auto carpet and using two-sided tape, as long as your padding underneath is ok. VW no longer carries III carpet. When they did it was like $300. Not worth it.

· Banned
5,806 Posts
Re: Installed aftermarket carpet, 5hrs!!! (wob_vento)

Quote, originally posted by wob_vento »
you can buy vw cabby carpet which fits the mk3 from the dealer, and i thought i saw someone post on here that it was only a little over 100 new.

yes you can, its $105 at the dealer

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Re: Installed aftermarket carpet, 5hrs!!! (iiznoodles)

Quote, originally posted by iiznoodles »

yes you can, its $105 at the dealer

that's it?! They charge like $30+ for a single BBS RA centercap.. You'd think carpeting would cost more...

· Registered
5,181 Posts
Re: Installed aftermarket carpet, 5hrs!!! (reynolds9000)

Quote, originally posted by reynolds9000 »

that's it?! They charge like $30+ for a single BBS RA centercap.. You'd think carpeting would cost more...

yeah they are weird...they wanted more for control arms when i worked there than what i payed for them through impex

· Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Installed aftermarket carpet, 5hrs!!! (gti_r_done)

I wish I could oblige, I don't own a camera or scanner, or card reader. My car is stock too. I'm cheap! LOL
I tried a few weeks back about the cabby carpet. First the guy got mad when I said I read online that it would fit a Golf then he couldn't access the info, inventory was down. I ordered the other carpet shortly after. I've had it for 2 weeks. Finally got the courage to put it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.