VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason why it's staying on? I am quite sure the airbag is connected properly in the back and was under the impression it was compatible.
While installing the steering wheel, I took the car for a spin without the airbag installed to see if the wheel was straight. Could the light be a resulting fault code from that? In this case, I am presuming I would need to VAG it to eliminate the code...
Any help/experiences will be appreciated!
Thanks!

· Registered
5,142 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (Blue Jetta)

I'm pretty sure you can take it out without a vag, just and OBDII machine. Our snap-on scanner will take it out. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (Cabrio1.8T)

don't know about MK3's but on my old MK4 once an airbag light was thrown the only way to get rid of it was to clear the code with a vag-com (or similar device)

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (.2.Slow4U.)

Quote, originally posted by .2.Slow4U. »
Would resetting the ECU maybe help?

Doesn't work on a MK4, but wouldn't hurt trying

· Registered
2017 Porsche Macan GTS
1,652 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (Zoso)

I believe it's a result of you driving without the airbag connected. When I installed mine, the airbag light turned right off. Someone in your area should be willing to clear it for you if an ECU reset won't work.

· Registered
The mk3.75
19,473 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (Max_O)

Quote, originally posted by .2.Slow4U. »
Would resetting the ECU maybe help?

no.
Quote, originally posted by Max_O »
I believe it's a result of you driving without the airbag connected.

I do too. Having an open airbag circuit while the car is powered isn't a good idea. I'll bet there's a code in the airbag controller for "voltage too low" at the airbag. You'll need a VAG-Com or Snap-On tool that can access other controllers than the ECU. Get into the airbag controller and clear the codes. Here's hoping that fixes it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
7,922 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (punkassjim)

^^ what Jim said... the Airbag stuff isn't stored in the ECU, and if the battery is connected with the airbag off the car it'll throw a code

· Registered
1,762 Posts
This might not be helpful but I have a shoddy connection somewhere in my airbag curcuit that sometimes causes the airbag light to go on. Punching the bag or hitting bumps makes it go off though. it's a come and go thing though, so it's not like once the controller senses a connection problemt he light goes on always, unless my connection problem is with the cluster LED or something, but then punching my steering wheel wouldn't fix it

Good luck getting it cleared up man.
-Sam

· Registered
2,747 Posts
Re: Installed cabrio steering wheel and airbag light stays on since. (punkassjim)

hahah I did the same thing when I put cabrio wheel in my gti. you will have to go to the dealer ship and have them turn it off.

· Registered
The mk3.75
19,473 Posts
Re: (Mossman)

Quote, originally posted by Mossman »
This might not be helpful but I have a shoddy connection somewhere in my airbag curcuit that sometimes causes the airbag light to go on. Punching the bag or hitting bumps makes it go off though.

yay for banging on the expensive-to-replace explosive device!!!!
let's all give Sam a nice warm round of applause, shall we?

· Registered
2017 Porsche Macan GTS
1,652 Posts
Re: (JettaMKIV)

Quote, originally posted by JettaMKIV »
i knew this was possible, how hard is it to do this?

Not hard at all, basically plug and play.....just expensive
. Do a search and you'll find tons of threads with info on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.