VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonite I installed some relays on my '84 4K (w/ 4 sealed beam headlights) and I didn't see any difference between the 'before' and 'after'. I used two relays per side (obviously one for low beam and one for high beam) and didn't have any probs w/ the wiring until it came to the grounds. I scratched my head for awhile then spliced both grounds going into the relays into the ground wire looped into the headlights. I wired up one side and compared it to the other w/out and they looked the same. Now when I put in relays on my Corrado it was a big difference between the 'before' and 'after'. Is there something really obvious I'm missing or did I wire the grounds wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Brian

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Re: Installed headlights relays, but don't see a difference (ButchHusky)

That's a tough one to diagnose, so here's a list of things to check. At the very least, you need to run a minty fresh ground wire to the chassis.
Did you upgrade to fresh wiring for power?
Did you use the alternator for the power feed to the relay?
Did you use the correct amperage for the fuse?
That's my input. You've don ethe job before, so most of this should be obvious to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Installed headlights relays, but don't see a difference (Diamond Dave)

Yeah, it is a tough one. I took it out for a drive in the country tonite and maybe it's a little brighter than before, but not by much. When I get some more time I think I will try running a new ground wire to the chasis and see if that helps. Thanks for the other suggestions too!
Brian

·
Banned
19,336 Posts

Relaying the older sealed beam lights doesn't make nearly as much difference as relaying the aero ones. The sealed beam lights are semi-decent stock. But now that you are realyed...you could go for high wattage bulbs...

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Installed headlights relays, but don't see a difference (duandcc)

quote:[HR][/HR]But now that you are realyed...you could go for high wattage bulbs...[HR][/HR]​
That was my next thought, the low beams aren't bad for driving around town, but the high beams seem like they do need higher wattage bulbs. Since they are sealed, I have to replace the whole headlight, right? Will a regular auto parts store carry them or do I need to order them online?
Brian

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

I don't know about single element sealed beam lights, but my dad had dual element motorcycle headlights on our old '89 Toyota 4x4. They were something like 85/100watt. Try a motorcycle shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.