VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Raceseng Chicane weighted shift knob yesterday. It was installed today at 1030pm. But it was too cold to attempt to install the Deutsch Holy Shift quick shifter. From what I can tell the Raceseng quality is amazing. My only complaint is that I wish they made a leather wrap instead of a Delrin wrap on the shift knob. Otherwise as of now I have no complaints. In another post, a forum member mentioned that he didnt think the Raceseng adapter would fit because the MK8 shifter lever that it goes over is smaller in diameter than on the MK7. And that an adapter for a MK7.5 will have a lot of slop on the MK8. He also mentioned that he bought a BFI knob with an adapter that uses a similar style adapter and it didnt work on his MK8. I wrote I would be the test subject. The install was simple. I still dont understand why VW doesnt make a shift knob that comes off easily like BMW. You have to break the VW shift knob off. The adapter fit perfectly onto the shift lever. It was actually a nice snug fit. I was actually surprised it was that snug. The adapter part # is 821202. I also bought the black shift boot collar. The Chicane weighs .90lbs and I thought it may not be heavy enough because I wanted a 1.1lb shift knob like the Sphereology. But the cover for it is out of stock. However the weight was perfect. Its a little taller than the stock shift knob and I didnt really want to raise my arm rest. My buddy said dude just raise you seat a tiny bit and your arm will be level like it was with the stock shift knob. Here are two pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. I see it displays a visual guide of all six gears which I like. Do you wish you went heavier?
If you want the gear on top of the shift knob thats an extra cost. The textured cover is a little more expensive than the smooth cover. And that shift boot collar at the bottom of the shift knob is also an extra cost. Originally I wanted either the Nitro or the Stratose. They were both the same height as the stock shift knob. I liked the Stratose because you could get it with different covers. Leather, perforated leather, Alcantara, or Alcantara with red stitching. The Stratose starts at $115. But by the time you add perforated leather for example, add the engraved gears on top, add the adapter, and add the optional shift boot collar. The cost sky rockets to $325 plus shipping. Plus it weighs .79lbs. Im not sure whether I would be able to feel the weight difference between .79lbs and the one I got at .90lbs. Or maybe I would. But I wasnt going to spend $325 on a shift knob. Then I looked at the Nitro because it was offered with a dimpled cover. And that came to $265 with all the options. But it weighed .68lbs. As much as I liked it I knew I wanted something heavier. Then I looked at the Contour. It weighs 1.1lbs which is the same as the UUC shift knob I had on my BMW. It came to $220 with all the options. And came in gloss colors, translucent colors and textured colors. But it didnt come with a cover which was a deal breaker for me because in the winter the shift knob would be freezing which I could deal with. But in the summer time it would be scorching hot. I asked Jaryd at Raceseng what if I got a textured Contour. Would that prevent it from getting hot in the summer. He said no it wouldnt. Then I looked at the Sphereology which weighs 1.04lbs. Its the same height as the Nitro, Contour and Stratose. Plus its 30% off. On the main page it doesnt say 30% off. But if you click on it says 30% off if you type in DISCONTINUED at check out. And you have to go the menu to look for shift collars if you want one because its not listed on the Sphereology page for some reason. But the cover is on back order LOL. So I chose the Chicane. I am still going to order the Sphereology minus the adapter and shift color since I have that already. That will come out to $139.70 with shipping and tax after the 30% discount.

But to answer your question whether I wish I went heavier. The Chicane feels really good. Its a good weight. I think anything between .90lbs and 1.1lbs is the perfect weight. Anything heavier is overkill for me. Raceseng has 3 that are over 1.1lbs. The Hydro which I also looked at. But it doesnt have a cover like the Contour. It looks like the Chicane and weighs 1.2lbs. Then they have the slammer that is sort of an oval round shape. Also no cover. It weighs 1.4lbs. And then there is the Rondour which is a tall looking stick. No cover and it weighs 1.8lbs. That one is also discounted 30%

·
Registered
438 Posts
I pulled my BMW shift knob off of my M Coupe the first week I had it. It was backlit, which of course is silly, but I managed to sever the 500 gauge wiring too. I fixed it once, pulled it all off again and just switched knobs entirely. I do not share your love of BMW's attachment, although I never had an issue with the titanium replacement aside from it trying to cook my hand.

You can remove the stock VW knob without breaking the clip, you just have to pry it open, which also makes reinstalling it easier, something I'm about to do to my Mk7.5 before trading it in on the Mk8 R.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled my BMW shift knob off of my M Coupe the first week I had it. It was backlit, which of course is silly, but I managed to sever the 500 gauge wiring too. I fixed it once, pulled it all off again and just switched knobs entirely. I do not share your love of BMW's attachment, although I never had an issue with the titanium replacement aside from it trying to cook my hand.

You can remove the stock VW knob without breaking the clip, you just have to pry it open, which also makes reinstalling it easier, something I'm about to do to my Mk7.5 before trading it in on the Mk8 R.
Too late....I cracked it off lol. I do wish the chicane was a little bit bigger around the top. I wear xxl and xl gloves so it feels a bit small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts