VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the extensive talk of motor mounts for our car (especially the VF mounts lately), and the fact that VF just released side motor mounts, I wanted to give their lower mount a try. I remember hearing that this mount is extremely stiff, causes steering wheel vibrations, coin tray rattling, and vibrations that would knock the fillings out of my teeth (if I had any!).
I received the mount the other day and threw the car up on ramps and went to work. Unlike other mounts that are either factory mounts with different bushings in them, this mount is two pieces. Be careful when you pull it out of the box or the transmission bracket and its respective bolts will fall out. Below is a picture of the lower side of the mount:

As you can see, the VF Engineering logo is supposed to be visible when the mount is installed on the car. The two hex bolts that secure the mount to the subframe are 6mm, and the two that bolt into the transmission are 8mm.
As for the top of the mount, there is a washer that is placed between the forward bushing and the transmission. This bushing is slightly smaller (i.e. tapered) on one side, and that side needs to be touching the transmission, with the larger side facing the bushing:

When installing, I found it easiest to secure the mount to the subframe first, and then fit the transmission bolts. I torqued the subframe bolts to 18 ft/lbs, and then torqued the tranny bolts to 30 ft/lbs. The two tranny bolts have lock washers on them, whereas the rear subframe bolts do not. As you can see from the picture below, the mount flows well with the underside of the car. I have the Audi TT lower stress bar, which needs to be removed for the install of the VF mount.

The excitement was building after I installed the mount. I anxiously double checked everything, got into the car, put the key in the ignition, depressed the clutch, checked my hair in the rear view mirror, and started the engine. My hands were gripped on the steering wheel in anticipation of such vibration that the wheel would come off if I didn't hold onto it with a death grip, but after I released the wheel and blood started to flow back into my hands, I noticed there was no vibration. When backing down off of the ramps, I noticed when I gave the engine gas, the sound was changed and there was this feeling of being "one" with the car. Right at that moment, I felt like a man!
However, at idle I did notice a slight buzzing/humming, and with the air conditioning on it gets worse. I installed the mount at 5418 miles, and now have about 5550 miles on the car and the mount has broken in. I almost don't notice any vibration at idle, however I do get some feedback when the engine is decelerating between 2800 and 2000 RPM. According to VF, after about 500 miles the mount breaks in. I can tell just from the 130 miles I put on the car since I installed the mount that it has already broken in.
It is hard to describe what this mount does for the car. Right away you notice that the engine is more connected with the car, and you feel it when you drive, even under relaxed driving conditions. The great thing about driving a R32 is that we have so many excellent choices for lower mounts (eip's mount, poly bushing inserts, VF's mount) and each one is more aggressive than the previous one. I wouldn't be able to describe which mount is better, because better is personal preference. Variable such as cost and vibration depend solely on the person purchasing the mount and what they are looking for.
The VF mount is a wonderful, good looking and performing piece. Slop is considerably cleaned up, but you have a trade off of some vibration. Given our fairly widespread demographic of the R32 forum, some people will like some more vibration from the engine at the expense of reducing "slop", while others won't make that trade-off. If you are looking for a mount to tie you with the car, significantly reduce slop, and are willing to have some vibration, then the VF mount is the lower mount for you.
- Anthony

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Re: Installed: VF Engineering Lower Motor Mount (skicross66)

Great write up as always. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Keep us posted on how the feel is over the next few hundred miles...but judging by what you have said so far, it sounds like this is the mount for me.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: Installed: VF Engineering Lower Motor Mount ([email protected])

Great write up.
I am going to be getting the VF mount, I do not think the EIP mount I have has done enough for for me. Though it has reduced the engine movement some I think it can be reduced more. In fact I will probably be getting all three of the VF mounts. I really don't mind a bit of feedback from the engine (vibration).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: (geremy)

Quote, originally posted by geremy »
Never heard anyone describe engine vibration as 'feedback'

Yep, just like the feedback some would expect to have from steering or brakes.
Has anyone out there installed all 3 VF mounts in their R. I would like to here your opinion...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: (nebuchadnezzar)

As usual Neb, excellent writeup. I was hoping to here exactly what you said. I am sold. The 3 mounts will be coming my way when spring hits and the car comes back out.
Used EIP mount anyone???

Now I just can't wait for the VF stage 3, that is what I think I am really waiting for. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Installed: VF Engineering Lower Motor Mount (jayo)

Quote, originally posted by jayo »
Anthony, I'm so jealous of your mileage!
11,7xxx since JULY 27

Yeah, my mileage has tapered off quite significantly in the past couple of months. I hate driving my car in the winter when it's nasty out, so the mileage should continue to decrease.
It's odd, this weekend I put 130 miles, but today I drove under 1 mile to the Giant and back. There have been days during the week when the car doesn't even move from the garage (due to carpool).
I had my Audi for 16 months and sold it with 18,900 miles on it. Not bad... I guess I'm average.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Anthony-another great review,all the +'s and -'s. Based upon this, I would probably not accept the vibration, although it sounds minimal and is probably a reflection that the mount actually works.
BTW, from what I hear, vibration in the mirror can only HELP your hairdo. That's what I hear.

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Re: Installed: VF Engineering Lower Motor Mount (r32senior)

Quote, originally posted by r32senior »
Anthony-another great review,all the +'s and -'s. Based upon this, I would probably not accept the vibration, although it sounds minimal and is probably a reflection that the mount actually works.
BTW, from what I hear, vibration in the mirror can only HELP your hairdo. That's what I hear.

R32senior, you should have checked out my car at the GTG to see if you liked the mounts.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Installed: VF Engineering Lower Motor Mount (r32senior)

Quote, originally posted by r32senior »

I've put about another 50 miles on the car and the vibration is lessening every time I drive it.
When I hit 6,000 miles I expect there to be no vibration at all (if extremely minimal).
- Anthony

·
Banned
885 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
... The two hex bolts that secure the mount to the subframe are 6mm, and the two that bolt into the transmission are 8mm.

Just to clarify, the bolts are 8 and 10 mm which matches the OEM hardware. Anthony must have meant to say these bolts need 6 and 8 mm hex drives to tighten them.
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Installed: VF Engineering Lower Motor Mount (vf-engineering)

Quote, originally posted by vf-engineering »

Just to clarify, the bolts are 8 and 10 mm which matches the OEM hardware. Anthony must have meant to say these bolts need 6 and 8 mm hex drives to tighten them.
Thanks for the review.

Anthony and VF Engineering, great review and great product
i heard so much good things about the VF monuts that i decided to
swap the Stock Motormounts and my EIP dogbone for the VF mounts

They will be going in on the weekend if shipping is on time

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (geremy)

Quote, originally posted by geremy »
Anthony, is the vibration going away or are you just noticing it less?

I'm pretty sure it is going away, not that I'm noticing it less. I've only put on 50 miles this week, however, so I will be able to tell more next week when I have a chance to drive.
- Anthony

·
Registered
570 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

I am considering this mod, however I'm concerned that more stress will be applied to the other OEM side mounts. Does anyone share my concerns? Also, please elaborate on the benefits of doing this. Can I expect the vibration to be excessive? Thanks for your input.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.