VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the "What did I do to my Alltrack, today?" thread a few days ago but I thought it would be a good idea to put it in its own post so it's easier to find in case anyone is looking for pictures of the installation.

Before installing:

Because I don't have a ratchet wrench that will fit I had to remove the rear tires to remove the screws in the wheel wells. I left the OEM mud flaps on to avoid scratch the bottom of my bumper.

My 2019 Alltrack SE came with sensors in the bumpers, so I had to unplug this cable on the passenger side to get the bumper off.

Removed the rear bumper.

Removed the impact bar.

Had to remove these sensors to get them out of the way when mounting the hitch.

The instructions say to place the impact bar on the hitch and install both of them at the same time. The hitch itself is pretty heavy, and both of them together would be too heavy for a solo-install. Mounting them one at a time worked fine.

Bought stronger bolts to use instead of the ones that came with the hitch: McMaster-Carr

The EcoHitch manual also states to torque these to 18 ft-lbs but the Curt hitch manual says to torque to 23 ft-lbs. I went with the latter.

To make trimming and mounting the bumper easier I removed the bottom piece of trim from the bumper before reinstalling the bumper.

If you have OEM splash guards I highly recommend removing them now. I spent 30 minutes trying to get the bumper back on before I removed them and saw the plastic pieces not lining up correctly, on both sides!

Popped off the inner piece of the bottom bumper trim. Will make it easier to trim.

After iterating several times I ended up with these cuts to the bumper. It's about 9.75 cm wide, flush with the inner side of the preexisting cut out. I did the trimming with an X-Acto knife, which ended up being relatively easy to do and give me cleaner cuts than using snips. It was like cutting cold butter with a cold blunt butter knife.

Reassembled before installing.

Snapped right into place. Done!

·
Banned
827 Posts
I posted this in the "What did I do to my Alltrack, today?" thread a few days ago but I thought it would be a good idea to put it in its own post so it's easier to find in case anyone is looking for pictures of the installation.

Before installing:

Because I don't have a ratchet wrench that will fit I had to remove the rear tires to remove the screws in the wheel wells. I left the OEM mud flaps on to avoid scratch the bottom of my bumper.

My 2019 Alltrack SE came with sensors in the bumpers, so I had to unplug this cable on the passenger side to get the bumper off.

Removed the rear bumper.

Removed the impact bar.

Had to remove these sensors to get them out of the way when mounting the hitch.

The instructions say to place the impact bar on the hitch and install both of them at the same time. The hitch itself is pretty heavy, and both of them together would be too heavy for a solo-install. Mounting them one at a time worked fine.

Bought stronger bolts to use instead of the ones that came with the hitch: McMaster-Carr

The EcoHitch manual also states to torque these to 18 ft-lbs but the Curt hitch manual says to torque to 23 ft-lbs. I went with the latter.

To make trimming and mounting the bumper easier I removed the bottom piece of trim from the bumper before reinstalling the bumper.

If you have OEM splash guards I highly recommend removing them now. I spent 30 minutes trying to get the bumper back on before I removed them and saw the plastic pieces not lining up correctly, on both sides!

Popped off the inner piece of the bottom bumper trim. Will make it easier to trim.

After iterating several times I ended up with these cuts to the bumper. It's about 9.75 cm wide, flush with the inner side of the preexisting cut out. I did the trimming with an X-Acto knife, which ended up being relatively easy to do and give me cleaner cuts than using snips. It was like cutting cold butter with a cold blunt butter knife.

Reassembled before installing.

Snapped right into place. Done!

Really nice work!
Good tip on the McMasters bolt upgrade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the this post, it helped me plan out my 2" hitch install. It was very helpful to know you can install the bumper top section and then install the lower painted silver section and lower trim later. That helped me trim the bumper so it was snug to the hitch and it looks great! I installed the silver piece first then the black trim piece that go on either side of the hitch next.

For my install, I used a combination of heavy duty sheers (rated to trim vinyl siding on a house) and sharp razor blades. I did my rough cuts with sheers and and then left the pieces in the sun and use a brand new razor blade to shave it and test fit until it was snug.

A tips for trimming the vinyl which make it so much easier:
Heat up the vinyl pieces you will trim, this help a lot especially when you are precisely shaving with the razor blade. In my case I used the sun and left the pieces in the heat until they were flexible. I am sure you can use a space heater to accomplish the same if the sun is not available in your area :)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Thank you for the this post, it helped me plan out my 2" hitch install. It was very helpful to know you can install the bumper top section and then install the lower painted silver section and lower trim later. That helped me trim the bumper so it was snug to the hitch and it looks great! I installed the silver piece first then the black trim piece that go on either side of the hitch next.

For my install, I used a combination of heavy duty sheers (rated to trim vinyl siding on a house) and sharp razor blades. I did my rough cuts with sheers and and then left the pieces in the sun and use a brand new razor blade to shave it and test fit until it was snug.

A tips for trimming the vinyl which make it so much easier:
Heat up the vinyl pieces you will trim, this help a lot especially when you are precisely shaving with the razor blade. In my case I used the sun and left the pieces in the heat until they were flexible. I am sure you can use a space heater to accomplish the same if the sun is not available in your area :)

View attachment 181183
When I put mine on back in 2016, the hitch turned to rust in 6 months. The ECO hitch has horrible paint. I had to mask mine off and hit it with a rattlecan of Rustoleum. That has held up since then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I put mine on back in 2016, the hitch turned to rust in 6 months. The ECO hitch has horrible paint. I had to mask mine off and hit it with a rattlecan of Rustoleum. That has held up since then.
Luckily I am located in the South East and we rarely have snow or ice so my car is not exposed to road salt treatments but maybe 1-2 times a year. So I hope I will not have to deal with that in the short term.

Where did the rust start from? Was it only the exposed hitch receiver that rusted?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The whole hitch is rusted. I'm not taking the bumper off just to paint the whole hitch. My other hitches that I have on my other cars, lasted 10 years before they looked like mine does on the AT.
Yah that is strange, might be worth pinging the manufacture to see if that is normal or if your was defective.

Anyone else having rust issues?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks clean, great job. Any electrical connection for lights?
Thank you!

I did not install the electrical connections for lights. I will primarily use this for my 2" accessories I have for my Jeep (bike rack, cargo rack, and Beaver Step).

Right now I have the Beaver Step installed when I am not using the cargo accessories. It fills the opening and will punish anyone who might bump me from the rear in a parking lot or in traffic.

Beaver Step
Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yah that is strange, might be worth pinging the manufacture to see if that is normal or if your was defective.

Anyone else having rust issues?
Here's how it was going to work. I was going to have to remove the hitch (which you know how much work that takes). Send it to them. Then they would determine if it was warrantyable. All during that time, I'd have to reattach the bumper (because it was my daily driver at the time) then take the bumper back off if and when I got something back.

Just so you know, you can only remove and install bumper covers so many times before they break at the attachment points. Then all of the cost of shipping and potential of them not warrantying it. Not to add in my labor to do all of this work. Instead the $1.99 can of paint and some masking tape was a much better alternative.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's how it was going to work. I was going to have to remove the hitch (which you know how much work that takes). Send it to them. Then they would determine if it was warrantyable. All during that time, I'd have to reattach the bumper (because it was my daily driver at the time) then take the bumper back off if and when I got something back.

Just so you know, you can only remove and install bumper covers so many times before they break at the attachment points. Then all of the cost of shipping and potential of them not warrantying it. Not to add in my labor to do all of this work. Instead the $1.99 can of paint and some masking tape was a much better alternative.
Completely understand, thank you for the heads-up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any electrical connection for lights?
I installed the same hitch on my 2016 GSW last summer. I followed the lighting instructions that Eco-hitch provides, which involved spending a fair amount of time under the car running the power wire from the control module up to the battery. I think others have pulled power from the fuse box, and/or possibly the rear power outlet? Anyways, zip ties and careful routing kept the wire away from the exhaust, and I was able to snake it above the various belly pans that are under the car to protect the wire from most things that might snag it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I received my hitch today and was looking forward to installing it this weekend. Noticed only 5 bolts and no washers were included. Ugh. Hopefully they can send replacement hardware soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well that sucks. You could always do what others on this thread (and I) have done and buy some high-strength bolts from McMaster... e.g. McMaster-Carr
I was thinking about it. But to me $40 for bolts seems pretty steep for what’s seems to be a minimal upgrade.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Finally got my replacement bolts and did the install this morning. For me the biggest PITA was trimming the bumper. After I finished the install I got a “Error No ACC.” I know I replugged my rear parking sensors, so I started to get nervous I messed something up. Thankfully the error went away the next time I started the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.