VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just ordered it. Thanks a lot. Did you connect camera? If so, please post your install+parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just ordered it. Thanks a lot. Did you connect camera? If so, please post your install+parts
I didn't connect a camera. Maybe in the future.
When you get your own CarPlay dock, please share some pictures of your own setup or PM me, I'd be pleased to know how the dock fits in various cars.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I went ahead and installed the Mic onto the clock button. You can still use the button all the same. It's a straighter path to the mic. Either way your spot still works well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Airbag warning light

Great post, doing my install this week.

What did you do for the airbag warning light?
did you remove the OEM warning light to re-use in the new facade?

I know that if you leave the airbag light disconnected it will cause errors to log on your dashboard.
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great post, doing my install this week.
Cool! Let me know if you use my dock from Shapeways too :)

What did you do for the airbag warning light?
did you remove the OEM warning light to re-use in the new facade?
Yes exactly, you first remove the OEM air bag warning light (as explained in this other topic) by disconnecting it from the original head unit, then you put it in the new fascia before fitting it onto the dashboard.

I know that if you leave the airbag light disconnected it will cause errors to log on your dashboard.
Thanks in advance,
Yes, just pay attention to not turn the ignition key on (let it away from the ignition lock) as long as the air bag warning light is disconnected, and you won't have any problem.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Awesome write up and installation! 3D printing is becoming a game changer in many different ways.

I am not personally sold on headunits which require a phone at all times. I assume the answer is to purchase mobile mapping SW which includes maps stored locally. Google Maps caching could be a short term solution as well, as long as one remembers to sync the map area in which you will be driving, before heading out on the drive.

Standalone vs 'smarter' headunits is a matter of personal opinion of course. Your installation is great and offering the iPhone ashtray replacement holders for order is fabulous. Thank you for your contributions to the TT-RS community!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ashtray install

Thanks,
I think I will order the ashtray piece. I usually have a very thin case on my iphone 6, what is the tolerance like for the iphone dock slot?

How did you route the usb cord to the ashtray?
I haven't seen any good tutorials/vids about removing the climate control panel below the HU.

Also, I am afraid I will encounter the same Bose Amp issue after successful install. Was this a common issue with the 2009 -2010 tt?
Im installing in a 2009 TT Quattro prestige with Bose and RNS-e

Don't have a vag-com ...or a PC for that matter...:confused:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

Another wire worth taking note of is the remote-mute wire... You can tie radar detectors into this and they will mute the radio when they alert. Great for hearing the alert when you have your music cranked. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks,
I think I will order the ashtray piece. I usually have a very thin case on my iphone 6, what is the tolerance like for the iphone dock slot?
The standard version of the iPhone 6 dock may not fit, cause the slit is very tightly adjusted. Go for the other version I made especially for iPhone 6 with case (it has been made for the Apple leather case initially) which adds about 1.5 mm around the iPhone to accommodate most thin cases. Audi TT ashtray dock for iPhone 6 with case: http://shpws.me/GXv8

How did you route the usb cord to the ashtray?
I haven't seen any good tutorials/vids about removing the climate control panel below the HU.
You don't. Let the climate control panel where it sits. You can access the place below the ashtray up to the center console behind the head unit, with the help of a flexible wire. You attach the Apple USB cable to that wire and you pull it up.

Also, I am afraid I will encounter the same Bose Amp issue after successful install. Was this a common issue with the 2009 -2010 tt?
Im installing in a 2009 TT Quattro prestige with Bose and RNS-e

Don't have a vag-com ...or a PC for that matter...:confused:
If you encounter this problem, maybe you can find someone in you area that has the VAGCOM cable and the PC software on a laptop? If you have a Mac, the VAGCOM software works in Windows installed in Boot Camp or a VM software like VMWARE Fusion or Parallels Desktop. Or maybe you could ask your Audi dealer, they can change settings too.

Anyway, if you buy your interfaces at Enfig, drop a line to Christian and insist that the digital turn on is absolutely mandatory for your car. I think that despite having ticked the option when I ordered all the stuff, I may have gotten a new prototype cable for ILX-007 that actually didn't had the mandatory digital turn on module, cause Enfig chose to remove their classical DTO interface and upgrade it at no cost to the new PAC SWI CP5 instead. I think Christian may have resolved that issue since. Just ask him.

this helped me visualize the install a bit
Thanks for the neat drawing :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks

Thanks , thanks , and thanks.

Well looks like I got everything I need. Lot of parts for this install..phweew :) Going to be like christmas when all the parts show up to my office.

Just ordered the shapeways doc for the case fitted iphone6. I hope it fits my phone. I guess worst comes to worst, I can remove the case and still use the doc as normal ,maybe add some padding.

I just contacted enfig about the digital turn on harness issue. Hoping they resolved that. Thinking it would be a miracle if everything works 100% out of the box. keeping my fingers crossed.

One more n00b question. Did you unplug your battery leads during the install? or just turn the key to off position while installing everything?

Cheers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyway, if you buy your interfaces at Enfig, drop a line to Christian and insist that the digital turn on is absolutely mandatory for your car. I think that despite having ticked the option when I ordered all the stuff, I may have gotten a new prototype cable for ILX-007 that actually didn't had the mandatory digital turn on module, cause Enfig chose to remove their classical DTO interface and upgrade it at no cost to the new PAC SWI CP5 instead. I think Christian may have resolved that issue since. Just ask him.
This was confirmed by Christian at Enfig that you did not have the digital turn-on in your install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am definitely doing some thing like this to my TT Rs when wireless airplay comes out :)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

Any chance you could create a version of the ashtray dock that will hold an iPhone 6 in the factory Apple leather case? I can understand not wanting to design for all of the cases / etc, but designing for the "oem case" seems like a fairly safe bet.

I don't even think I'd hook it up to the head unit - I don't want my phone to be mandatory for function, and I put my music on a USB stick. I just want it for a place to store / dock the phone and connect it to power while in the car, it seems like a good idea for that as long as you don't actively need the screen while driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Any chance you could create a version of the ashtray dock that will hold an iPhone 6 in the factory Apple leather case? I can understand not wanting to design for all of the cases / etc, but designing for the "oem case" seems like a fairly safe bet.
Yes, I've already designed this one as explained in post #30. The dock for iPhone 6 with Apple leather case is here: http://shpws.me/GXv8

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys joined just to share a tip i found with this setup

if you drill a hole as below you can use the ashtray light to illuminate the dock

this is my setup i love it thanks for the dock mate

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can you run this threw the factory Bluetooth, so you can use the same mic and stuff like that? And how are the steering wheel control kits threw crutch field compared to the programable ones?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts