VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
And here you can see the original Alpine splash screen:

Here is the file openingfile.bmp (BMP image, 800 × 480 pixels). If you want to make you own custom one, please be aware you must first build it at 872 × 480 pixels (1.09 anamorphic aspect ratio D1/DV PAL) in indexed colors with a perceptual master palette, before exporting it at 800 × 480 resolution. You can change the default opening image as explained page 21 of ILX-007 owner's manual:

Enjoy!

I'm curious what software program you used to create the image. I only have MS Paint available to me... which doesn't have the options you outlined above. I keep receiving the “Connected USB device is not supported” error... which I understand can also mean there is an issue with the image I am trying to use.

Many thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent write up! I used much of this information when recently installing my new ILX-007 into my Ford Escape. I however ran into a couple problems, particularly with the USB. I as well tried to use a USB Splitter that lead to a dock and a port much like you used. I purchased the splitter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M0NURK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) , dock (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010SWQ2O2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) , and the port (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CNUFGN6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00). I used these particular items because they all supported data transfer as opposed to several that I found that only supported charging.

I disassembled the dock and mounted it into my ashtray, took out the cigarette lighter and placed the port in the hole. Wired everything up securely, finally got the head unit installed. It was a wonderful successful install and I was so happy with everything..... then I turned on the car. "USB device is not supported"...

I took out the splitter and tried to just use the dock directly, same message.....

Then I tried to just use the port connected directly to the head unit..... same thing.

The only way I could get my phone to connect to the stereo was to use just the standard iPhone lightning cable right into the head unit. Do you or does anyone seem to know why? Also, if it's something wrong with the items that I purchased, could someone please lead me in the direction to the right items for me to purchase. I live in the USA so I'm not looking to buy the items you linked that you used due to overseas shipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

^^ a bit offtopic since you're talking about a Ford on a VW/Audi forum...

The "splitter" is a USB hub. Not all radios will accept a USB hub. The little 2-port "splitter" that the OP used here is also a hub, but it's only a 2-port hub (although this shouldn't generally matter).

Why your dock connected directly to the radio didn't work is beyond me (because it should if it's passing the data lines through correctly). Same goes for the "port" you used - that's just a dumb no-electronics USB extension cable which definitely shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A normal usb 2.0 port is supposed to support 500mA. There's lots of devices that might not be up to spec, but you can use any self power hub (powered separately) and not have to worry about an under-powered port. If the hub took 12V as it's input power, all you'd need to do was power it with the cars switched 12V (so it's not on 24/7).

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80 has a 5V input, so you'd need to find a 5V source in the car, or use a voltage regulator to step 12V down to 5V. But there are some hubs out that that have a 12V rated input voltage that would be good for installing in a car, you just have to do a little searching and find one in the form factor that works for you.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
A normal usb 2.0 port is supposed to support 500mA. There's lots of devices that might not be up to spec, but you can use any self power hub (powered separately) and not have to worry about an under-powered port. If the hub took 12V as it's input power, all you'd need to do was power it with the cars switched 12V (so it's not on 24/7).

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80 has a 5V input, so you'd need to find a 5V source in the car, or use a voltage regulator to step 12V down to 5V. But there are some hubs out that that have a 12V rated input voltage that would be good for installing in a car, you just have to do a little searching and find one in the form factor that works for you.
The problem isn't necessarily power draw but one of software support inside the headunit itself. It's only designed to support USB devices of classes X & Y (e.g. iphone and mass storage device) and simply doesn't know WTF to do with a hub.

I've been somewhat annoyed by this problem for quite a while. The best option is a MANUAL USB "Switch" so you can run a cable to two different locations and flip a switch / push a button to toggle between which one of those cables is actually attached to the head unit.

My current Pioneer unit has a pair of USB inputs which is great, but if you want to use Android Auto vs. Apple Carplay, you have to use specific ports. So if you wire up one port in the glove box and the other to the front near where a phone mount would go, and then you later switch from Android to iOS, you have to pull the radio back out and switch which USB extension is plugged into Port A vs. Port B.

It's really consumer-unfriendly.

Then there's alpine who just give you a single port. What if you want your phone but also want a USB stick full of tunes? Alpine would have you go pound sand. (Or, fill your phone with your tunes, but then you're stuck fighting with ****ty iTunes to load music on it instead of being able to just drag and drop files to a drive in whatever folder tree you prefer.)

My biggest gripe with the whole iTunes paradigm is that it doesn't offer you the ability to sort a given artist's albums by release date. Nope, you get them alphabetically, so if you don't remember the name of the album but just remember it was "two albums ago," you're screwed. Super annoying, if you're a person who still prefers to listen to an album at a time instead of the shuffle garbage that all the kids do today. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The problem isn't necessarily power draw but one of software support inside the headunit itself. It's only designed to support USB devices of classes X & Y (e.g. iphone and mass storage device) and simply doesn't know WTF to do with a hub.

I've been somewhat annoyed by this problem for quite a while. The best option is a MANUAL USB "Switch" so you can run a cable to two different locations and flip a switch / push a button to toggle between which one of those cables is actually attached to the head unit.

My current Pioneer unit has a pair of USB inputs which is great, but if you want to use Android Auto vs. Apple Carplay, you have to use specific ports. So if you wire up one port in the glove box and the other to the front near where a phone mount would go, and then you later switch from Android to iOS, you have to pull the radio back out and switch which USB extension is plugged into Port A vs. Port B.

It's really consumer-unfriendly.

Then there's alpine who just give you a single port. What if you want your phone but also want a USB stick full of tunes? Alpine would have you go pound sand. (Or, fill your phone with your tunes, but then you're stuck fighting with ****ty iTunes to load music on it instead of being able to just drag and drop files to a drive in whatever folder tree you prefer.)

My biggest gripe with the whole iTunes paradigm is that it doesn't offer you the ability to sort a given artist's albums by release date. Nope, you get them alphabetically, so if you don't remember the name of the album but just remember it was "two albums ago," you're screwed. Super annoying, if you're a person who still prefers to listen to an album at a time instead of the shuffle garbage that all the kids do today. ;)
I just bought one of those Chinese Android OS stereos: http://www.ugsage.com/default/7-and...-mirroring-function-obd2-for-audi-tt-mk2.html
I plan to initially just test everything outside of the car w/ a power supply and a couple speakers. If I like it, I'll go through the trouble to installing it. I bought it for Android, and being able to do whatever the hell I want to do with it - root it, modify stuff, customize, ect.

Any unit shouldn't need to know anything about a hub, it should just work - hubs don't have drivers, ect. The only way it wouldn't work is if the manufacturer did something to prohibit it, so they can only make it talk to their own devices, or specific devices. All usb devices have a VID and PID, that identifies the Vendor, and Product. So technically they could filter out all devices that don't have specific VID/PID's. It's pretty crappy if they do that.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

Again, it all depends on the OS in the device. Older versions of Android didn't support hubs. Hubs *do* have a generic driver (that all hubs share). :) If that generic USB hub driver is omitted from the system, no hub will work.

Alternatively, it's possible for the hub itself to be functional, but for the radio to not know what to do if it sees more than one USB drive / media device. If the radio's setup to only have one "USB input" and it suddenly is able to see two USB drives simultaneously, how does it know which one to display / access? You get "unexpected behavior" which often means you see only one device that might randomly change after a reboot/power cycle, or you see no devices at all.

I like the idea of the Android Chinese knockoff units, but I don't like that they can't use SiriusXM (short of through an app which will chew cellular data). They also tend to come with the cheapest crappiest offline map app that they can find; you can replace this because Android is cool, but they never seem to have quite the same level of polish as you can get from one of the big-name stereos. I wish Garmin would put out their own map app, because that + cheapo Android radio would be really nice. The other problem I have with the Android garbage is that the Chinese OEMs cut corners all over the place, so they only get 512MB-1GB of RAM and run slow, and they use crappy flash so they boot slow, etc.

I'm looking at one of Alpine's new 8" units -- they sell a facia kit in Europe to drop the 8" unit into a TT. The huge screen is very enticing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kinda true (IMO), but: Modern Android devices can work as both a client (the device), or the host (where you plug in the device - flash drive, mouse, keyboard, ect). Older Android devices didn't have usb OTG, or host mode, they only worked as clients. When a device can support both modes (client/host), if the USB ID pin is pulled low, it puts the device into host mode. Newer OTG implications use resistor values on the ID pin to ground to change it to different modes.

I suppose technically there are generic drivers for hubs, but pretty much any proper usb host device supports hubs, and generic HID devices (mice, keyboards, ect). But you are right about the HU that has a dedicated usb ports for android auto/apple car play. They likely did that to make it easier for them to develop. But they could have done it right... they just took a shortcut.

I wouldn't really call the chinese HUs knockoffs, because (alpine, kenwood, pioneer, clarion, ect) don't make HUs that run android as the OS. They are more like pioneers :p There have been maybe 2 android HUs from known brands, and they ran android 2.3 :eek: Parrot was developing a really nice one (http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/c...most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/), that I had planned to buy, but then the scrapped it saying it would be too difficult to support all the in-car functions, as a consumer device :(

If/when I actually install mine, I'll be using either google maps or waze for navigation. I made a tasker profile on my nexus 6p that will automatically turn my phone into a wifi hotspot as soon as it connects to my cars bluetooth. Then the android HU will connect to my phone for it's internet connection. The profile changes everything back to normal at disconnect. I guess I'll look into something to use for offline as well, for when there is no cell reception.

edit: My HU was delivered today. Been playing with it for the last couple hours. Hubs, usb cameras, flash drives, keyboards, mice, and even my wireless xbox 360 controller usb dongle works :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about buying Alpine ILX-007 and I have a few questions. Can someone that has already used it answer to any of them?

- Is it possible to configure the steering wheel Speak button to Launch the Siri voice commands, as well as to make and end a call?
- is there any information available in the driver information system (DIS), like the track name, radio station, incoming call name/number...
- Does the alpine display show information of the parking rear sensor?

thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Compatible withe iPhone SE and iPhone 7

Hi guys! I edited the thread to show the Audi TT ashtray dock is also compatible with iPhone SE and iPhone 7 :) (still no possibility for Plus models because those bigger iPhones are wider than the ashtray).
Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alpine

I had it before . Lasts for about a year, then the buttons along the bottom stopped working correctly, and Last month on the drive home the screen went from normal, to having one half of it red, the other half was green and lines through both that had other colors, you could barely see the normal screen image in the background, but it faded away after about a minute, and nothing works on the radio anymore.

For the price this thing should have been rock solid, and lasted the life of the vehicle, i have had much cheaper car radios in the past that are still going strong . Now I have PIONEER AVH-X5700BHS . This is definitely one of the top of the line touch screen car audio products from Pioneer. They have done a great job with this car audio unit and pretty much everyone who buys it also raves about. We here were certainly impressed too.
When connected to the Bluetooth or an iPhone the communication between the device and the car stereo is very good. This is one of the more expensive touch screen car stereo units on our list but I think it is worth every penny.
It’s a very affordable unit for all that it gives you. It has an excellent two camera system built into it including a backup camera that works great. Being able to adjust the colors on the main theme of the display was a nice touch too. This is one of the better anti-glare screens on any of the touch screen car audio products.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a great setup Flux. I especially like your discrete phone dock. I know this is now quite an old post but do you know if there is anything similar for the A3 (2012)? Instead of the ashtray I also wondered about putting a dock in the section adjacent to the handbrake - there certainly looks like there would be room beneath the console, if you cut through the bottom of that tray (I certainly don't need the Aux point and can likely live without the cigarette lighter to:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
ANNOUNCEMENT: New 2019 CarPlay docks for Audi TT Mk2 available!

ANNOUNCEMENT: New 2019 CarPlay docks for Audi TT Mk2 available!

Many changes, including the much awaited compatibility with iPhone 8, and especially newest iPhone X and XS :)
Docks for iPhone 5/5s/SE and iPhone 6/6s/7/8 + protective case have also been updated with new features detailed below.

All CarPlay docks are now sold at a base price of $89.00. You may notice that selling price appears at first a few bucks more expensive than the previous version, but it is not. It is actually way CHEAPER as the former dock needed an old & expensive ($29) Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter (now discontinued) glued to the dock (as well as an old Apple 30-pin to USB cable). 2019 docks only require this inexpensive 90° Lightning adapter and any Lightning to USB cable, 4-feet (1m) long minimum.

All 2019 docks also integrate jadlad's clever hack (thanks dude!) using the built-in ashtray light to illuminate the dock from within. Moreover, no more issues with automatic gearbox put in park, as the insertion angle is different.

You can order the dock compatible with your iPhone at Shapeways in two possible finishes:

• Either the standard smooth white plastic (White Processed Versatile Plastic). I advise to spray-paint it in black with a dedicated OEM-looking black aerosol paint (e.g. from Evercoat or Montana MTN 94 RV-7016)

• Or the new beautiful smooth black finish called Black Professional Plastic. As its name suggests, it is more expensive due to an additional dyeing and polishing treatments that make the plastic smooth and soft (kinda velvety), it looks like almost a molded part. Obviously, this premium option also saves you the hassle of manually spray-painting the dock.

It's up to you, depends on your budget and if you are more a DIYer or if you prefer finished goods to be rightfully integrated out of the box. I think that giving choice to customers is better.

Find all information (including installation guides) at the updated website: www.CarPlayDock.com

CarPlayDock shop at Shapeways: www.shapeways.com/shops/flux_capacitor

Below, a couple of pictures of the latest Audi TT CarPlay dock for iPhone X/XS, produced in Black Professional plastic by Shapeways, that I've just received:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
And here is a 2mn video showing how to glue the special Lightning adapter to the CarPlay dock:

To also answer some previous questions (that were quite old, long time no see. Sorry for the delay but I didn't activate email notifications):

Is there anyway to make the dock diagonal to allow more room for a 7 plus?
Alas no, at least not on the TT. There is a slider on the left side of the internal compartment that prevents such configuration. That's also why the iPhone X/XS (which is wider than previous non-Plus models) is now inserted vertically and not at an angle anymore. I would be possible to make a TT CarPlay dock for bigger phones, but they would stay mostly outside of the ashtray (not recessed inside it) hence would block air conditionner controls.

That is a great setup Flux. I especially like your discrete phone dock. I know this is now quite an old post but do you know if there is anything similar for the A3 (2012)? Instead of the ashtray I also wondered about putting a dock in the section adjacent to the handbrake - there certainly looks like there would be room beneath the console, if you cut through the bottom of that tray (I certainly don't need the Aux point and can likely live without the cigarette lighter to
Thanks. Not sure about A4 B7, although I am currently fiddling with this cigarette lighter compartment at the moment. But I will certainly expand the concept further to other cars, starting with A1 (2010-2018) and A3 8V (2012–2018) which can now be retrofitted with CarPlay keeping their original retractable LCD screen, thanks to CarPlay retrofit kits presented in this other topic. Then maybe A6 & A7 C7 (2010–2017).

You people may have moved on to another car, but I am answering these points as it could help others as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks for all that effort. Same car, but I’ve moved on to a wireless CarPlay unit and the phone stays in my pocket. Your hard work is still impressive.
I understand. But with your iPhone staying in your pocket now, don't you have any issue with the battery being drained by navigation (GPS positioning consumes a lot of power)? At least on long trips, say more than 45 mn.

That's why Apple delayed Wireless CarPlay for two years, until iPhone models have induction charging capabilities (Qi standard), and ask automotive makers to include wireless charging pads in newest cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand. But with your iPhone staying in your pocket now, don't you have any issue with the battery being drained by navigation (GPS positioning consumes a lot of power)? At least on long trips, say more than 45 mn.

That's why Apple delayed Wireless CarPlay for two years, until iPhone models have induction charging capabilities (Qi standard), and ask automotive makers to include wireless charging pads in newest cars.
I agree, but my commute is 20 minutes. My solution, for longer trips, is nowhere near as elegant as yours. I used Velcro to hold a Qi charger on top of my ashtray and had an electrician wire it into the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I agree, but my commute is 20 minutes. My solution, for longer trips, is nowhere near as elegant as yours. I used Velcro to hold a Qi charger on top of my ashtray and had an electrician wire it into the cigarette lighter.
Lucky time commute ;) Indeed Qi chargers cannot be better integrated in older vehicles due to their larger size (due to the smartphone surface in a flat position) but I find your installation quite neat nonetheless. Good matching colors and good cable management without a wire popping out here and there. Congrats :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did debate cutting into the ashtray lid but decided it was too much effort. There’s actually a lightning cable tucked down the back, as my wife’s phone is pre Qi and tends to run flat quickly. It’s not perfect, but it solves my “first world problem” as well as I can manage, without your engineering expertise.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts