VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased what I believe was the prior version for the iPhone 7 with Apple case back in January.

The fitment was so poor I had to break the case apart to get the phone back out.

Luckily I was able to get a refund.

I considered reordering and may place an order with the new style.

Hopefully this issue has been corrected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I drive by this thread to let you know guys that the 2020 Carplay docks for Audi TT are available, including compatibility with iPhone SE2 and iPhone 11 Pro (but no compatibility with iPhone XR/11 nor Max versions as those are too wide for the ashtray).

PS: A few people experienced issues with previous docks being -sometimes- a bit too tight for the iPhone, and they needed some sanding work with a metal file and sandpaper inside the slit to get a smooth fit. Indeed, additive manufacturing (3D-printing process) does not have as much "low-tolerance" margins than subtractive manufacturing (typically CNC machining with a router) or injection molding. As a result, two identical docks 3D printed from the same file may have some small dimensional discrepancies. While I personally preferred the behavior of a tight fit for my iPhone after some sanding, I understand not all people want to tune their dock on the bench before use, as the majority wants a "plug & play" product. That's why newer CarPlay docks take this into account with a greater margin of error, at the price of a slight wobble of the iPhone (don't worry, we are talking about a fraction of a millimeter!).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Late-2020 CarPlay docks now available

Warning: T-adapters that were used in CarPlay docks until now do not work anymore. The Chinese have changed the chip inside without warning. Even if some sellers still advertise these adapters as capable of "data transmission", this is not the case anymore, period. They only charge the phone, so no more sync with iTunes, and above all: CarPlay functionality is broken. I confirmed this with several models purchased from various sellers.

Solution: I have just redesigned the CarPlay docks around a new solution, a USB to Lightning cable from manufacturer McDODO. This solution is way better as this cable is:
• MFI Certified by Apple (works flawlessly with iPhone)
• angled 90° (L-shaped, space saving)
• sturdy (nylon braided cord)
• available worldwide
• and cheap!

——— The 90° angled McDODO cable ———

The McDODO cable should be available at your local Amazon warehouse. You can also purchase the cable from anywhere in the world at the McDODO official store on AliExpress at a bargain, for a few bucks only. All details and links in the new INSTALLATION section at https://carplaydock.com/#install

Also, no more glueing! The cable now simply attaches to the dock with a 2.5mm zip tie, like this:

The Late-2020 CarPlay docks are now back online on the web site and at the Shapeways store.
One more thing: Stay tuned for the upcoming iPhone 12 lineup!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The problem with the Enfig kits is they are impossible to uninstall without damaging everything. The radio bezel, eg, the final piece in the installation, can't be removed very elegantly.

The kit is one-time use only, basically.

I learned this the hard way. :mad::banghead:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recommend a Double din head unit

I have got my first car (Honda Civic) and I am looking for a double din head unit for it. I don't know much about as its my first time going to purchase it. The purpose of commenting here because I see there are many professionals in this thread and they have shared awesome builds. I've read this review and found it very helpful.

Also, what should be considered before buying it? I prefer something within a budget of <$500. Is there anything great that I can get in this price? I have infinity speakers already installed so just looking for your recommendations.

Sorry, for lot of questions in a single comment. Please share your reviews.
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for the recommendation. What do you say about Pioneer AVH series?
They seem to be quite capable too. The question is: do you need a CD drive, and do you need a GPS navigation system independent of CarPlay/Android Auto? Personally I didn't want these additional features, but your mileage may vary. It is true also that I bought my CarPlay head unit at a time (circa 2014) when these devices were much more expensive.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts