VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ladies and Gents...
I'm getting the APR 3" downpipe installed with APR Stage 2 ECU upgrade. I already have the APR Stage 1 ECU. Any feedback from anyone who has it installed on their CC? Is there a noticeable perfromance? And is it loud? :D

· Registered
189 Posts
That's good... I don't really like it loud. It attracts attention. I just want to blow by people without them knowing.Getting it installed later this week. Can't wait!
I have a 3" Billy Boat Downpipe (which is the same thing as APR's DP) installed with a stock cat back exhaust and its really quiet! The resonator in the CC restricts a lot making it pretty quiet. My mechanic was actually surprised how quiet it was. I want a little bit more sound but scared to make it Ricey :sly:

I noticed a lot more power in 2nd gear!!! I spin in second now :cool:

Good Luck and Enjoy it :thumbup:

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I had the APR downpipe and the APR Stage 2 ECU upgrade done as well... all I can say is wow!!! I noticed a difference... approx 20 hp using 94 octane and program 3 (93 octane mode). The exhaust sound is relatively quiet. I'm getting the APR Carbonio intake Stage 1 and 2 done next week now. The shop I used didn't have the ram bracket instock. Thanks Tom and Bart from H2Sport do the install. Worth the wait!!!!

What's the next mod???? APR Intercooler then Stage 3 turbo kit? I'm really tempted :)

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for sharing your review.

Can you comment on where you felt the power gain the most? Mid range , top range etc...
I really interested on the DP + stage 2 ecu, I assume with the DP you are running with no cat-converter now?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The power gains runs through the mid to high end range. I'm thinking when I have the Carbonio intake installed (Stage 1 and 2), there will be considerable difference in the power range too, allowing more air to run through the engine. When the engine is idling, there is a lower tone sound than stock but not at all annoying. But when on the gas, the exhaust sound is barely noticeable from stock. The APR downpipe does not have a cat converter. Too bad APR has not yet developed a catback for the CC. C'mon APR... make one soon! I'll definitely buy it :laugh:

· Registered
27 Posts
Sounds great glendale14.

Do you notice heavy gas fume when the engine is idle?

My last car was running without cat and the gas fume was so bad that I am worried about my own health literally.

This time around, I really not want to go through the same thing over again...

· Registered
8,813 Posts
Glendale did you go from stage 1 to stage 2 or stock to stage 2?

mclyin, if you smelled gas in the car while idling, you had a leak in your exhaust. The cat would help burn off the excess gas and without one you obviously don't have that ability but there is no reason you should smell it in the car unless there was a leak.

· Registered
27 Posts
Glendale did you go from stage 1 to stage 2 or stock to stage 2?

mclyin, if you smelled gas in the car while idling, you had a leak in your exhaust. The cat would help burn off the excess gas and without one you obviously don't have that ability but there is no reason you should smell it in the car unless there was a leak.
Veedubin02, I was referring to the gas fumes when standing beside the car, such as inside a more closed area like parking garage. Doesn't feel very good at all when I was having chat with friends and have to breath the toxic gases...

· Registered
8,813 Posts
Veedubin02, I was referring to the gas fumes when standing beside the car, such as inside a more closed area like parking garage. Doesn't feel very good at all when I was having chat with friends and have to breath the toxic gases...
Then turn off your car.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys,

I went from Stage 1 to Stage 2. It's been really hot and humid here for the past three days now and i don't really notice any difference in smell from stock dp (stage 1) to dp (stage 2). Nothing overly noticeable?

· Registered
8,813 Posts
Cool I was just trying to be clear as to the gain you saw in power. This hot humid weather kills turbo power :(

· Registered
2,038 Posts
I had both the dp and catback and simply dp with stock exhaust. In my experience, having the dp with stock exhaust is a bit wasteful. The difference in power is not all that significant to simply being APR stg 1 plus air intake. But with a full turboback (dp + catback), the difference is simply amazing, especially in the sport mode. But it's loud, far louder than stock in my opinion. I wouldn't spend $600 on a dp to mate it to a stock exhaust.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Folks,

I contacted APR by email and here's what they said about the NEW APR catback:

"We will be soon, prolly sometime before this xmas! Unfortunately I don't have a better ETA as of yet."

GO APR,
Chris Gigon
Sales Representative/Financing Manager
APR, LLC. Phone: (800)680-7921
4800 US Hwy. 280 W. Tech: (334)502-5181
Opelika, AL 36801 Fax: (334)502-5180

GOOD NEWS.... can't wait to order.:)

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok... I now have the Carbonio intake stage 1 and 2. I did the intall myself which took approximately 40 mins. My CC sounds almost complete. The intake does make a difference in terms of throttle response and sound. It's not overpowering... but nice. I would recommend having it for anyone's CC.

Now need to wait for APR to release the catback exhaust!!! This week... I'm having all the front suspension bushings changed and partial rear bushings replaced too. Should make a difference with the car's handling with the extra horsepower and torque! Still contemplating on having the H&R front and rear swaybars installed.

After that... install Brembo brakes! Next year. Then maybe new set of wheels and gold coast bodykit. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Nothing left to do after that? LOL... intercooler?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.