VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because we get a lot of questions about coilover installs, here is a nice place to put everything to help those who need it.
This is a pretty easy job. You pretty much follow the Bentley (you DO have the Bentley for the car, don't you son??) or use this DIY except for one very, very, very, very, very, important thing.
STOP NOW AND READ WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TYPE OR YOU WILL LITERALLY REGRET THE DAY YOU WERE BORN

DO NOT REMOVE THE UPPER CONTROL ARM BOLT. DON'T TOUCH IT. DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT. SERIOUSLY.
The upper control arm is almost always stuck. Removing it is completely and utterly pointless, as the assembly comes out without removing it. Ask anyone in here, search for any coilover thread. If you find yourself about to do this...

...just stop. It will be stuck, the head will shear off, and you coilover install will go from taking 4 hours to taking 4 days.
Other than that it's an easy job, and shouldn't take more than an afternoon in your driveway to get done. Enjoy. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Feel free to chime in with more walkthroughs, more tips, and more tricks if you feel like it. Or if someone wants to write a PROPER writeup that doesn't have the upper control arm removal in it that would be great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Re: Installing Coilovers - Walkthroughs, Tips, and Tricks (robbyb413)

if you have a facelift car, the ac lines will most likely be in the way for the two bolt method, just carefully bend them out of the way
i will reiterate, do not touch that BASTARD BOLT
also if you are doing it yourself, get something long and thin, like a broom stick, or pipe, so you can push down on the lower control arms, so you can finagle the bottom of the strut back in. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
good luck to anyone that attempts it

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
oh no! I was just doing my springs, and I took that bolt out of my rear passanger side! am I F-ed in the A now?

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
Re: (AWCx)

That bolt shall die.
there should be a B5 club called "I learned the hard way"
edit, its already in my sig

Modified by Love 4 Veedub at 11:02 PM 10-18-2007

·
Banned
5,429 Posts
Re: (AWCx)

Quote, originally posted by AWCx »
oh no! I was just doing my springs, and I took that bolt out of my rear passanger side! am I F-ed in the A now?

that bolt is on the front....
luckily, mine werent too bad, but when i do suspension again i will not remove it

·
Registered
917 Posts
Re: (Love 4 Veedub)

Quote, originally posted by Love 4 Veedub »

there should be a B5 club called "I learned the hard way"
edit, its already in my sig

at least you have learned already... Looks like I have been learning since I got here! (see sig) hahaha haha ha.... a ... sigh...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Installing Coilovers - Walkthroughs, Tips, and Tricks (robbyb413)

If there is any doubt left... DO NOT TAKE OUT THE PINCH BOLT IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!!
Proof:
Oxyacetylene torch + punch =

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Installing Coilovers - Walkthroughs, Tips, and Tricks (Lazer Viking)

Quote, originally posted by Lazer Viking »
if you have a facelift car, the ac lines will most likely be in the way for the two bolt method, just carefully bend them out of the

You don't need to bend them. Use (or buy, you need them anyway) a 1/4" drive ratchet set. The socket and extender will fit right in there w/o bending anything.
Just a slight editorial, the 1/4" drive ratchet et al is highly underated but always comes in handy. I can't tell you how many DIYs I see where someone has to move extra stuff, gets frustrated, and has to add extra time because they don't have the smaller tool set that would make it a breeze. Do yourself a favor. Go pick up a set.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Re: (kish0000)

i was using a 1/4 set, but the line was DIRECTLY over the bolt, may have just been my car though
5 days, a mountian of tools on the floor, pneumatic tools, heat, and lots of penetrating fluid.. i managed to get the bolt out in one piece but uh, kinda sliced in half
oh well, atleast i replaced the control arms while i was in there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
106 Posts
coilovers instalation question

hey i was talking to my buddy and he said that installing coil overs on my car is not so easy and that the control arm is in the way.
is that true?
do you have to take the control arm off to install the coilovers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: (thepirate)

Quote, originally posted by thepirate »

damn thats rough...no you don't have to take the control arms off. you just take the plate they are attached to off but each individual control arm does not have to come off.

thanks for your kindness

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: (Ben5on)

Quote, originally posted by Ben5on »
do you have to worry about getting an alignment done after installing new suspension?

some people dont... but your tires will wear unevenyl/prematurely.
I recommend getting it done.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts