VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always preferred amber turn signals over flashing brake lights in my vehicles. My 2010 JSW had them but my 2019 Alltrack
lacked the amber turn signals.

Items purchased:

Modify Harness

Before getting to my car I had to make some modifications to four wiring harness connectors with an
X-ACTO knife. It would have been easier to trim off plastic from the
connectors in my car but I wanted to avoid irreversibly modifying anything in my car if I could help it.

On both outer taillight wiring harnesses I had to trim off a plastic key rail that was in the way. Since I didn't have X-ACTO
blades narrow enough I had to sacrifice the guiding rail right next to the key rail. Thankfully the connector still fit
snugly with no play. For the inner harness connectors I had to remove one key rail but ended up having to sacrifice a second
key rail.

Before removing any taillight I suggest checking if all the wiring harnesses connect to the new lights and your
car's connectors.

Outer Taillights

This is the easy part. Installing the outer lights is as easy as:

1. Access the taillight connectors by removing the felt covers in the cargo area.
2. Unplug the existing connectors.
3. Remove the plastic screw with your hands by twisting them off.
4. Pull out the old taillights and install the new lights.
5. Connect them using the modified outer wiring harnesses.

My passenger side taillight fit fine and flush but the driver side seemed to stick out a bit. I fixed this by turning the
plastic adjustment screw with a T15 bit and ratchet.

Inner Taillights

Since I bought taillights with two fog lights (one for each side) the included inner wiring harness came with two wires
connecting the two. This means the two inner lights will connect to each other with these two wires that must be routed
behind the inner plastic body trim.

First remove both taillights by removing the plastic access cover and using an 8 mm hex socket. Each light has two nuts
that need to be removed. Then you can remove the lights by pivoting them away from the center of the tailgate. Install the
new inner taillights in the reverse order and tighten the four nuts.

You have a couple of options when wiring the inner lights. You can take the easy route and follow the included instructions,
which is to blindly snake the wire and harness from one side to the other using the access panels for the inner lights. I
didn't like the idea of a wire being loose back there so I went with the slightly (but not much) harder route and remove the
hatch inner plastic trim to get a complete unobstructed view of where the wire will go.

I ended up zip tying the harness wire to the existing wiring in the hatch. I then put back all the body trim pieces.

Coding

The final step is to apply coding so the right LEDs light up when braking or signaling. The instructions given were for
VCDS/VAG-COM but all I have is OBD11/OBDeleven. Luckily
the settings are very similar. Set aside 20 to 30 minutes to do all the coding. You'll need to write changes before
tapping "Back" since OBD11 doesn't queue up new settings.

To start you'll need to enter an access code to enable writing:
  1. 09 Central Electrics
  2. Security access
  3. Login code: 31347
  4. Tap "Enter", it should say "Verifying login code" then "Success"

The next step I believe is to enable the rear fog lights to work with the Euro switch I mentioned above.
  1. 09 Central Electrics
  2. Adaptation
  3. Aussenlicht uebergreifend (search for "ueb")
  4. LDS mit Nebel Schlusslicht
    1. Set to Yes
  5. Write

Finally it's time for the main event; grab some coffee for this. Go through each setting and either make the change or verify
the settings match the values below:

Leuchte18
  • Dimming Direction CD: Minimize
  • Dimming Direction EF: Maximize
  • Dimming Direction GH: Minimize
  • Dimmwert AB: 0
  • Dimmwert CD: 0
  • Dimmwert EF: 127
  • Dimmwert GH: 0
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 16
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 8
  • Lasttyp: 43 - allgemeine LED
  • Lichtansteuerung HD AB: Always
  • Lichtfunktion A-H: Nicht aktiv
Leuchte19
  • Dimming Direction CD: Minimize
  • Dimming Direction EF: Maximize
  • Dimming Direction GH: Minimize
  • Dimmwert AB: 0
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 18
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 18
  • Lichtfunktion A-H: Nicht aktiv
Leuchte20
  • Dimming Direction CD-GH: Maximize
  • Dimmwert AB: 127
  • Dimmwert CD: 127
  • Dimmwert EF: 0
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 3D
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 13
  • Lichtfunktion A: Brake light
  • Lichtfunktion B-H: Nicht aktiv
Leuchte21
  • Dimmwert CD: 127
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 3E
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 23
  • Lichtfunktion A: Brake light
Leuchte23
  • Dimmwert GH: 10
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 29
  • Lampendefektbitposition: A
  • Lasttyp: 38 - LED Blinkleuchten
  • Lichtfunktion A: Blinken links Hellphase
  • Lichtfunktion B-E: Nicht aktiv
  • Lichtfunktion F: Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)
  • Lichtfunktion G: Nicht aktiv
  • Lichtfunktion H: Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)
Leuchte24
  • Dimmwert GH: 10
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 2A
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 1A
  • Lasttyp: 38 - LED Blinkleuchten
  • Lichtfunktion A: Blinken rechts Hellphase
  • Lichtfunktion B-E: Nicht aktiv
  • Lichtfunktion F: Parklicht rechts
  • Lichtfunktion G: Nicht aktiv
  • Lichtfunktion H: Parklicht rechts
Leuchte25
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 30
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 28
  • Lichtfunktion A: Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht, Positionslicht, Begrenzungslicht)
Leuchte26
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 54
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 0
  • Lichtfunktion A: Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht, Positionslicht, Begrenzungslicht)
Leuchte27
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 53
  • Lampendefektbitposition: 0
Leuchte28
  • Byte DTC-DFCC: 31
  • Lampendefektbitposition: B
  • Lichtfunktion A: Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Some observations on my side:

You should remove the Parklight right and parklight left light functions from your turn signals at channels 23/24 as if you enable single sided parking lights, this would light up your amber signals and not your tail lights. This being said, with the wire harness you have, SSPL is bit possible as channel 27, which used to be the side marker control is connected on both sides so this is now driving both outer tail lights. Also, unless you have a facelift car, coding anything in light channel 26 is non needed since there is nothing connected at the BCM.

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some observations on my side:

You should remove the Parklight right and parklight left light functions from your turn signals at channels 23/24 as if you enable single sided parking lights, this would light up your amber signals and not your tail lights. This being said, with the wire harness you have, SSPL is bit possible as channel 27, which used to be the side marker control is connected on both sides so this is now driving both outer tail lights. Also, unless you have a facelift car, coding anything in light channel 26 is non needed since there is nothing connected at the BCM.
Thanks for the info. Never knew about single sided parking lights. They don't seem to be enabled on my Alltrack so I'll have to try to get that feature enabled and then update this post with any changes.

I'm not 100% sure but I think 2019 Alltracks have the facelift.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Thanks for the info. Never knew about single sided parking lights. They don't seem to be enabled on my Alltrack so I'll have to try to get that feature enabled and then update this post with any changes.

I'm not 100% sure but I think 2019 Alltracks have the facelift.
I totally missed the 2019 Alltrack part and thought it was 2017…Never mind on channel 26 unless you want your front side markers turned off as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I totally missed the 2019 Alltrack part and thought it was 2017…Never mind on channel 26 unless you want your front side markers turned off as well.
Interesting the park light left and right. On my 2017 Alltrack I don’t know if I turned that off when I coded in my Euro halogen tailights to gain amber turns. Didn’t know one could remove the red tint from the taillight before. But I also bought the euro inner driver tail to be euro correct with the single side fog light.

I also coded the SSPL and use them fairly often.

Then this last September I got mk7.5 Euro R tails and the bearded Detailer helped me with coding as most of the coding I found was from US NAR mk7 to Mk7.5 euro coding which wasn’t I had anymore. So went from NAR Mk7 tails - Euro Mk7 tails - Euro Mk7.5 R variant tails.

Got it all coded correctly, SSPL on and no turn signal on, its just the tail light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Damn I wanna do this on my 17. Would be a huge change.
Not really. I did the change on my 2017. I had the euro mk7 tails before going to the mk7.5 Euro R tails.

I’ll have to look but you’ll need the wiring harness for mk7 to mk7.5 and then the coding changes. A few others have done this, I just need to find the right thread and link it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not really. I did the change on my 2017. I had the euro mk7 tails before going to the mk7.5 Euro R tails.

I’ll have to look but you’ll need the wiring harness for mk7 to mk7.5 and then the coding changes. A few others have done this, I just need to find the right thread and link it.

You went from Euro to Euro LED. I'd be going from completely stock to Euro LED

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah your right. Went from stock factory to euro to euro led. But here’s where this guy did what you’re doing, stock to Euro LED. Maybe you’ll find it helpful?

MY17 + OEM Euro-spec led tails

Probably the only way I'll do it is if I find a smokin' deal on them. Not sure high priority for me. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.