VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not that hard- you need a unit with built in relays or two external relays, tapping into the wire that goes to the vac. pump.
However, my trusty local shop tells me that the car's electronics are "too old" to be reliable and they won't work on it.
Can someone recommend a VW-friendly alarm shop in the NYC vicinity?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: installing keyless entry in 96 golf (mda8)

check out the Golf/JEtta 3 forums, I've read how to do it in there. Basically I think you need to install some box which is the brain of the deal in the dash behind the headlight switch i think and then program the remote. You can maybe get it from a dealer or junk yard would be better. My memory is a little sketchy but its deffinatly in the other forum.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Re: installing keyless entry in 96 golf (Black_Buddha)

You can go to any car audio shop and get a keyless unit. Should be around $75 bucks for a decent one. The install is easy, and if you do it right, you can take advantage of the key-window control thing, and make the windows go up when you lock the doors. At my shop I would charge $120 installed to do what you want. Not a bad price to know that it is done right. But if you want to do it yourself, it is not rocket science. I could help you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: installing keyless entry in 96 golf (audiophile)

Thanks for the replies. 3 different shops declined to do it. I really don't see this being that hard, but I guess they would rather just bang alarms into "regular" cars for a quicker profit.
The car is my sister's and she's leaving for CA on Wed, otherwise I'd send her up to NH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.