VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting JE pistons in a g60 block. The bently calls for the arrow on the top of the piston to point towards the timing belt. The JE piston doesn't have an arrow. My question is how can i tell what side should be pointing toward the timing belt? Can I go by the notches in the bearings pointing toward the front of the motor just like the main bearings? Thanks for the help this is my first time building a bottom end so bear with me.

· Registered
11,687 Posts
Re: Installing pistons ? (smgti)

i dont remember what the book says , but when i do my motors , i put dimples in the rods and bearing caps to line them up after , and also make a note of which way they face. a piston can go in either way , it is just that they want to rods going in one way . so if the book says that the mark on the rod faces forward then just do that . JE pistons dont have a certain way to go in if they are in a g60 , only 16v and 20v have a certain way to go in . take your time and learn . my first motor was a lot of fun to learn from .

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Installing pistons ? (herby53-akaherby53)

Thanks for the help. From what iu see the rods aren't marked as to which way to install them,so is there anyway to tell which way to put them in if you don't mark them during overhaul? Thanks

· Registered
11,687 Posts

the bearing caps have differnt shapes to them on the ends , match that up with the rod , look in the book for a pic with the rods on the crank and see which side the mark is on . but there should of been a little dinple on the rod ( where the cap goes , at the bottom on the side )

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have them matched up with the rods but there isn't any qualtiy pics that show which way they go in the manual. The only good markings I can go by are the markings on the bearings ( The notches ) I just need to know if these point toward the front or back of the engine. Thanks

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here is what i am seeing the only marks that are different are on the right side of the rod. Which side should these face? Toward the front or back of the engine

· Registered
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2016 Jetta GLI, 2021 Arteon Premium R Line 4Motion
10,244 Posts

Actually, G60 pistons do have a specific orientation to correctly install them. The key to identify the position is the oil squirter knotch (this is imperative).

· Registered
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2016 Jetta GLI, 2021 Arteon Premium R Line 4Motion
10,244 Posts

That is correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.