VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I deserve any flaming posts that reply to this.
I spent over an hour and a half (!!!!) trying to get these pedals installed today after work. I left the office at 9pm (a dumb move to begin with) and while I remembered that TregCentral posted instructions, I figured "how hard can it be" and decided to do it quickly before I pick up my wife from her friend's house for a quick dinner on the way home...
Well.. it was all down hill from there. I wont bore you with any additional details but to say this - I have the break pedal installed and I will install the gas one tomorrow.
Here are my ideas:
1. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! Here they are http://www.tregcentral.com/downloads/VW-PDCins.pdf
2. See #1!
3. NEVER and I mean NEVER remove the metal piece off of the rubber piece of the break pedal. You DONT need to in order to install it and you'll just end up spending up to an hour getting it back the way it was (GrrrrRRRRrrr).
At any rate - despite all the aggrivation, once I'll have it all installed, Im sure I'll be a VERY happy camper as it lends such a nice look to the interior.
Uri

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I hear ya Uri! I got so impatient trying to install the gas cover pedal! I finally said screw it. So for about 5 months now I have been driving around with just the brake pedal on. Maybe one day this summer I will become un-lazy and put on the gas one. But yes they are a pain in the a$$!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Re: Installing the V8 pedals on a V6... (Uriah)

To tell you the truth, I had no idea the pedals were different between the V8 and V6. My question is...WHY??

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Re: Installing the V8 pedals on a V6... (jjunke)

You can clearly see my brake pedal mod, but not the gas pedal.

·
Registered
47,324 Posts
Re: Installing the V8 pedals on a V6... (cgmb16)

Craig, You need to do ALL of them and a dead pedal.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I hear you guys loud and clear! That is really funny because I spent over an hour and ended up with a bloodied hand before I successfully got the pedals on a couple days ago. I was going to mention it here but was too embarrassed by my ineptitude.
The brake pedal did only take 5 minutes but the gas pedal is a pain in the a$$. And of course I get reamed by VW on another accessory ($70+ for pedal caps that they produce 10s of thousands of, not to mention outrageous shipping (I had a gift certificate) and they arrive in empty cardboard boxes... no instruction, no nothing.
Do follow the instructions from Tregcentral. Be sure to get the bottom and far side on and just slowly work around with a screwdriver until it pops on (sounds easy but took me about 10 tries). Don't let this scare you off from Spock's dead pedal, its very nice and takes 30 seconds at most to install. It finishes the look.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Spocks Pedals

I just installed the Dead Pedal and the Phaeton Emergency Brake pedal from Spock. They took about 5 minutes - super easy. They really add to the look of the interior. (Just like the picture above). My husband did have to spend more time with the gas pedal. The soapy water and a tiny screwdriver is what produced results.

·
Registered
856 Posts

Hehe, I'm glad I've been too busy to install them on my wife's egg
It's good to know what I'm in for though. Since we're all in a "fessing up" mood, how many metal clips did you lose when doing the storage bin replacement? I lost 2 of them

Meat

·
Registered
47,324 Posts
Re: Installing the V8 pedals on a V6... (meatster)

Quote, originally posted by meatster »
Since we're all in a "fessing up" mood, how many metal clips did you lose when doing the storage bin replacement? I lost 2 of them

Meat

None on my install or mdjak's install but I lost one clip when I installed the audio plug and power plug in the console box for trebor a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should note that I got the break pedal on without soapy water or a screwdriver..
The gas pedal... well.. we'll see later this week.

Modified by Uriah at 5:01 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
709 Posts
Re: (Uriah)

Soapy water is what i used and it only took about 15 min or so to do the brakes and gas pedal.Just spray the rubber down and then spray the metal pedal and it pops on.To put the gas pedal on you can use a screw driver to help you pull the rubber lip around the metal gas pedal.Kinda like the tire guy do when putting the tire on the rims except you have to just run the screw driver down the whole pedal.Press one side on first then use the screw driver on the other side and that should do it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Re: (Devoman)

Spock, my friend, I must be in the dark. Last we spoke, you weren't in favor of the pedal for the emergency break, fearing frequent use would sure dislodge it. As I, and I believe you, rarely use it, did you decide to make it? If so, I don't "need" one, but I sure 'nuf do wants one. Hows 'bout it?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

I officially dub you guys "INEPT". If I could do it, ANYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO! I can't do anything like this, usually. And I did it before my coffee was even brewed this past Sunday morning.
I struggled with the gas pedal for a bit till I went and soaped the little baby up, and she slid on like a surgeon's gloves. Almost made a slurping noise. The screwdriver is useless, given the angle of the bodangle.
We all hate slipping protection on our things anyway.

·
Registered
47,324 Posts
Re: (mdjak)

Since I never use my emergency brake, I just used velcro on mine and that is the way I supply it, with velcro. Hasn't slipped on me yet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: (mdjak)

V8 pedals 0 minutes,
Dead pedal 1 second (no adhesive necessary, nice design Spock!),
E-brake pedal, under 5 minutes.
Matched set, enjoyed everytime I'm driving the Touareg.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
My velcro melted one day from the hot sun and came partially detached, stepped on it and it was good to go... May switch to permanent adhesive. Note to self: Get black velcro or cut it down! (you can see the white industrial strentgh velcro in between the metal and pedal from the passenger side, like the filling in an oreo
)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts