VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It isn't all that uncommon for a heater core to go bad. Usually it'll start with a drip, a smell, or some fog coming from the vents. You can usually tell when its gonna happen, right?
My GTI disagrees completely.
Drivin' on the freeway today I got stuck behind a slow truck pulling an excavator, when I had the opportunity I downshifted to 3rd and dropped the hammer to get back up to speed (and not get in the way of cars behind me).
Well right when I punched it, the car got filled with steam and coolant poured out of both sides of the center console onto the floor as if it was supposed to.
I can't overemphasize the amount of steam and coolant that entered the interior of the car. It was a lot.

I made it to where I was going (I wasn't very far from my destination) and was able to get a ride to pep-boys for the hardware required to bypass the core...luckily (and despite the dork at the parts counter who had no clue).
I'm just curious if this type of catastrophic failure has happened to anyone else. It seemed real odd to me.
Picktar for clicktar (the troublemaker)

Modified by Mace_Windu at 1:03 AM 7-1-2008

·
Banned
24,412 Posts
Re: instantaneous and catastrophic heater core malfunction (Mace_Windu)

My whole front window got fogged up to the point where i coudlnt see ****. Luckily i was only rolling through my neighborhood and just stopped. Coolant came out the driver side, luckily not burning me.
On a side note i can get a dash out in about an hour now

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Re: instantaneous and catastrophic heater core malfunction (ThatGuy)

Quote, originally posted by ThatGuy »
On a side note i can get a dash out in about an hour now

I've got it down to about 15-20 minutes. The hardest part is getting the raintray off to get to the screws under there. This makes me glad I did the heater core as preventative maintenance last year on my GTi. I should probably do it to my Jetta soon. I'm changing the dash on that car soon, so I might as well do the heater core too.

·
Banned
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: FV-QR (...OMGHI2U...)

Quote, originally posted by ...OMGHI2U... »
I've seen it happen

I wonder how
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Mace_Windu)

hi stephen

hi sarah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same thing happened to me on the highway, just sprayed out of the top vents and completely covered the inside of the windshield...bad times.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Re: FV-QR (4690)

i was merging at about 50mph when mine blew up on me.
-windows covered in steam and coolant pouring outta the bottum of my car, not only did my hearter core blow out but my water pump **** out as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
gotta love AAA though. towed my car 2 hrs home. and i got a free ride in an ambulance when my bro picked me up. haha

·
Banned
7,189 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Dan J Reed)

Quote, originally posted by Dan J Reed »
My biggest fear...
Is burning the **** out of my feet..
(Drives barefoot).

i just started driving barefoot and i was thinking about this as well. Last thing i need is another thing to keep me out of work

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Re: FV-QR (IHateSpeedBumps)

. I wish VW would recall these things.
**** LADA heater cores last longer and I heard they're made out of pasta

·
Registered
407 Posts

My biggest fear...
(Drives barefoot).

i'm in flip flops 9 months out of the year. and my luck laely means this will happen shortly

·
Registered
4,614 Posts

My biggest fear...
(Drives barefoot).

I was in the passenger seat with sandals on. As soon as it went, I picked up the crap from the floor and lifted my feet up. It was worse on the passenger side than the driver side.

·
Banned
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: FV-QR (putangspangler)

Yeah it was sort of a bummer, Sarah was wearin her birkenstocks and she got "spit" on. She's a'ight tho she moved fast.

Steam came slightly before water puked on the floor...so that was a nice warning.
*edit*
LOL
*edit 2*
the funny thing is she's sitting 5 feet behind me on her laptop

Modified by Mace_Windu at 10:03 PM 7-1-2008

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Re: FV-QR (packthis)

Quote, originally posted by packthis »
. I wish VW would recall these things.
**** LADA heater cores last longer and I heard they're made out of pasta

haha i laughed a bit

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yea that happend to me too in the parking lot of Darkstar tattoo, it just went the whole car filled with steam, and hot coolant poured all over my foot. Not a fun day...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts