VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a gray W8 console for Christmas this year and I installed it and loved it. The gray matched the stitch color perfectly inside however, it was really bothering me that it didn’t fit into the color scheme of my interior with the brushed aluminum. So after about a week and a half I decided that I would paint it black, since I read somewhere on vortex that Riceater78 did it. So I took some pictures half way through my install for anyone else that wants to try it. Be forewarned that this process does take a good bit of time, I did it over the 2 nights, but total time was about 4 or 5 hours to do it right. Also, this will not look perfect, but its EXTREMELY close, I took some close pictures so you can judge for yourself. This process is directly dependent on time, so the more time you spend, the better it will look. Also I kept the stock switch knob so I didn’t paint that but if you did get the W8 knob, just follow the same steps to paint that. So here it is.
Tools needed:
Krylon Semi-Flat Spray Paint (about $2.50 at Walmart)
Masking Tape
Exacto Knife
Straightened Paper Clip
The first thing to do is to take the console apart as much as possible so that it’s easier to paint. The following pictures show the places where the tabs are located to disassemble the console. This is where the straightened paper is used, most of the clips can be undone by hand, but there are 2 that are under the circuit board and can not be reached by hand, so you can use the straightened paper clip to push in the 2 hidden tabs. Be very careful removing these clips, (especially around the clear lens) because they are very thin and could be broken off easily.
I realized that i put arrows to 2 tabs that aren't there, its the 2 arrows pointing to the sides at angles

Next I taped up the console around the buttons so that I didn’t cover ever thing in paint, the following picture shows where I used masking tape to cover everything up (I used new masking tape so that it would be easier to see)

After that its time to paint. I found that it works best if you spray from about 12” away, and use one spray from each side to make a layer. By this I mean do one spray from the front, one on each side, and one in the back, so that one layer is essentially 4 sprays. Make sure to cover everything and then let the paint dry for about 10 or 15 minutes.
The next part is etching, this is the hardest part of the entire process and this determines how nice your console will look. Use the exatco knife to etch into the backlit regions. It helps if you can use a light from behind to see your progress. Start with the circles because they are the easiest to do, then do the cars, and the buttons. Make sure you hold the buttons, as they will move a little if you don’t. After I was done with this I plugged the console into the car to see my progress, then I would touch up what didn’t look right and repeat this till I was satisfied.
This is after etching
The spraying and etching should be repeated so that you have 3 layers of paint. Once this is done and you are happy with the way it looks when backlit, then you should apply one LIGHT spray over all the backlit sections. This last layer will hide most small scratches that the etching process creates. I hope this will help some of you. Questions and comments are welcome.
This is after final LIGHT spray

The rest are finished pictures, sorry about the night picture, I couldn't get it to look right, but you can pictures of other ones at night using the search.

Modified by 20th286 at 4:48 PM 1-8-2004

Modified by 20th286 at 6:15 PM 1-8-2004

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Re: Instructions and Pics of Black W8 Console (20th286)

Looks good man http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . Looks similar to what Riceater78 did if I'm not mistaken.
Want to do another one??

·
Registered
462 Posts

Awesome write-up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Great pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
woohoo...someone else who took the $75 risk!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Instructions and Pics of Black W8 Console (Riceater78)

Quote, originally posted by Riceater78 »
Awesome write-up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Great pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
woohoo...someone else who took the $75 risk!

hahahaha, I hope some more people work up the balls to do the same thing!

·
Registered
6,170 Posts

Sweet write-up man, post this up in the DIY/FAQ. How much was the console?

·
Registered
6,170 Posts

I would assume that includes shipping? Their website lists a price of $59.95 including the harness.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: Instructions and Pics of Black W8 Console (the pik)

Quote, originally posted by the pik »

I would assume that includes shipping? Their website lists a price of $59.95 including the harness.

$59.95????....who....where????

·
Registered
783 Posts

Anybody try using this stuff yet???
I have seen it before but never used it. I just did a search on google for liquid masking tape. It is used mostely for model cars, model railroads, crafts and RC cars. I have been thinking about trying this with some vinyl dye that people use for car interiors. Any body have any bad experiences with these products????

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Re: Instructions and Pics of Black W8 Console (spaceghost)

The only risk to this method is heat. On very hot summer days, with the high temperature inside the car, you need to be carefull with the controls, the paint will soften.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: Instructions and Pics of Black W8 Console (Galvatron)

Quote, originally posted by Galvatron »
The only risk to this method is heat. On very hot summer days, with the high temperature inside the car, you need to be carefull with the controls, the paint will soften.

Isn't there some sorta of epoxy paint out there that will hold up in the summer temperatures.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.