VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Anything red or blue on the interior doesn't turn on. The radio still works and the LED still shows the stations etc. The clock still works. The overhead map lights still work, and the window lights. Just not the red and blue lights. So, I basically can't see how fast I'm going or the window lights when driving at night.

dennisgli

Do you mean none of the instrument lights work - doors, radio, dash... ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the odometer fuse is there and works fine. I replaced it just to be sure. The fuse next to it which is supposed to also be for the instrument cluster has been swapped as well.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to take it into the dealership and run a diagnostic on it.

Here is what I have done so far...

Replaced all fuses, replaced headlight switch, replaced dimmer switch, bypassed dimmer switch, replaced bulb behind heater controls, checked all wires under and behind steering wheel and instrument cluster, checked all bulbs and wires throughout car, checked cigarette lighter and glove box for shorted wires, disconnected battery overnight, checked connections and fuses on box on top of battery.

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
Replaced all fuses, replaced headlight switch, replaced dimmer switch, bypassed dimmer switch, replaced bulb behind heater controls, checked all wires under and behind steering wheel and instrument cluster, checked all bulbs and wires throughout car, checked cigarette lighter and glove box for shorted wires, disconnected battery overnight, checked connections and fuses on box on top of battery.
It isn't how many things you "check" it's checking the right things.

Do you have power at the instrument light fuse? Do your license plate lights work?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I figured out what it was yesterday. Here's what happened.

The interior lights were out so after checking everything I took apart my center console to check for a short in the cigarette lighter. While doing this I accidentally dropped a screw in the empty cigarette lighter slot and popped the fuse. To replace it I took the fuse from my fog lights slot, since I don't have fog lights, and put it in the cigarette lighter slot.

Then I noticed that my license plate lights weren't working half the time. Sometimes they would stay on, sometimes not. Turns out it was the euro switch that was causing this issue. I switched back to the original switch that came with the car and the license plate lights stayed on. Cool ... but still no interior lights. Well, apparently the fog light fuse is also connected to the dimmer switch ... which is not documented in some cases.

So it was the euro switch the whole time... but not knowing that the fog light fuse is connected to the dimmer switch complicated things and confused the situation making me think it was something else.

All is good now though so I'm happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new but have trolled for a while now. I had a similar issue. After turning the light switch on and off a few times the dash lights come on but I had no dimmer control. I replaced the dimmer and all is fine now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts