VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they vary by model. Will it be expensive to insure an 84 Scirocco to a 16 year old(myself) than a Gti of the same year? THe only way I am going to get my rocco on the real roads is to pay the insureance myself.
THe models I want to hear of typical rates of 84s:
Jetta
Jetta Gli
Rabbit
Rabbit Gti
Pickup
Scirocco

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (Aw614)

I'm a 21 year old single white male. I think that pretty much puts me in the highest cost insurance category. I pay about $11 a month for my 84' GTi

Go for it.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Here in Massachusetts it's done mostly by age and record of driver, value of car, and town of garaging. I'm 28, perfect driving record, minimum coverage, garaged in a rural town, 84 GTI and I pay $400 a year. It doesn't get much lower than that here. How the hell can you pay $11 a month for the highest category? In Mass the highest category can get over $2000 a year. Does that include any coverage or is it just to make it legal? And we have the famous 'no-fault' system- I was hit broad side by a woman who ran a stop sign and they tried to total it for a dent in the quarter panel and a bent rear crossmember. The whole system here is a scam... Be lucky you don't live in England where they tax you based on the size of motor! My GTI wouldn't be bad with a 1.8, but my 76 Gremlin with a 3.8 would hurt the wallet. And that's another thing- I can only drive one car at a time, but I have to pay full coverage on 2 cars. They don't even give you a break on the second one which is rarely driven! Anyways, I would think that any of the cars you listed would cost the same to insure, at least in Massachusetts.
Barrett
84 GTI (quick)
76 AMC Gremlin (powerfull)

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (rabbitgremlin)

quote:[HR][/HR]Here in Massachusetts it's done mostly by age and record of driver, value of car, and town of garaging. I'm 28, perfect driving record, minimum coverage, garaged in a rural town, 84 GTI and I pay $400 a year. It doesn't get much lower than that here[HR][/HR]​

just got my statement from Commerce today for next year... $360 for the rabbit, $620 for the golf

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (16v)

Remember this in CDN $ but my insurance which is operating at a 45% discount for no accidents is about $67 a month down from $96 a month with all the extra coverage for liability and fire, theft, vandalism removed. It is based on my driving record and a 10% discount is aloted for each clean year of driving up to a maximum of 40% but then they came out with this extra 5% for whatever. Younger drivers have higher rates and the older the car the cheaper it is. Ofcourse you still have to pass emissions testing every year before you can get insurance renewed.
James.

[Modified by A1Rocco, 6:00 AM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (A1Rocco)

Where I am I don't have any emissions so pretty much it can get renewed when I get it insured. I was worried since the Scirocco looked sportier that it would be more expensive than a Gti which mechanicaly they are similar

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

i pay about $50 a month here in so cal... thats basic and i am an 18 year old single white male.... even after an accident it only went up about $2 a month...

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (MiCrO)

I think how a car looks doesn't play much into what they will charge for a car. I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the engine, the blue book value of the car, and the weight of the car (which is an indication of how much damage you could do with it). I have a few discounts for a good driving record and having multiple cars, but I pay about $11 a month for the rabit (liability only on a 2000 lb. car with 90 hp and a blue book value of probably $500). My corrado, on the other hand, costs me about $70 a month (full coverage on a 2700 lb. car with 158 hp and a blue book of $6000).
disclaimer - the hp numbers are from the factory, and may not be entirely accurate on my vehicles.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (Josh[deady]Able)

I dunno, while the rocco might be more of a "sports coupe," it's no sports car. And since they share mechanicals for the most part, I can't see it being to much different. Kinda like the difference between insuring my old bugs compared to my old karmann ghia... not too different. Can't you comparison shop online, like at Geiko.com or Progressive.com? You should be able to compare quotes for different car models, which might help. Have fun.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (Josh[deady]Able)

HAHAHAH. You guys all suck....With my "TERRIBLE" driving record (I won't get into it
) I pay $272.56 a month or $3083 a year on my 83 Rabbit GTI...Now that's a pain in the ass, but I was paying $5500 on my Integra and $6500 on my Corrado so I guess I can't complain there

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (sirhcorrado)

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET $11 A MONTH. I when I got my license when I was 18 I paid $300 a month for laibility on a 4 door rabbit and that was with a dsicount for drivers training and good grades. I now have $61 (with one speeding ticket 65 in 40) a month for liabilty on my rabbit. My insuarance and all others I have had go by where you live how much you drive the car and whethere its a sports car or not. Insurance is f-ed up though I had a '68 bus and a '81 westy vanagon and the full coverage on the vanagon was $48 a month on the bus for liability it was $103. the bus was worth $500 the vanagon $4000.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (wabit)

WHen myy uncle had the Scirocco he was paying 250 a year* on it in NY. I don't know the coverage he had on it. The 87 Quantum I also use my parents pay the same amount without the collision and I know it will go up when I drive it
Edit to year

[Modified by Aw614, 5:55 PM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (sirhcorrado)

Hah, I got every one beat-$9/mo.! My policy is basic liability min Montana req. 28, male good record, home owner, multicar disc. comes to $54/6mo. premium. Was with geico but went with AIG through jc whitney of all places. MT has very low liability requirements.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Insurenance rates on 84 A1 cars? (eurotrashrabbit)

humm... i've been quoted ~$100 for full coverage on my 85 Cabby

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.