VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Intake choice (Big R)

Try the Jetta IV / Golf IV forum or the 1.8T forum. You'll get tons of response there. Seems the NB people prefer to talk about, ahem, "less technical" things like sunshades, paint colors and mirror bras.

BTW, I prefer the BMC CDA intake after reading many posts / polls, etc. on it in the forums mentioned above. Any 1.8T intake for those cars will fit your beetle too. Also try the Jetta / Golf IV classifieds for a wealth of tuning stuff that will also fit your beetle. Thats where I found my BMC and lots more goodies. Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

I've always heard that p-flows and other cone filters really don't work all that well in beetles just because of a lack of airflow.
yeah, check the 2.0 forum and golf forums, or go to newbeetle.org.

·
Registered
212 Posts

ive also heard a lot about the p-flow or shielded itg and other so-called CAIs that still have the filter at the top and still close to the engine. there is some gain since there is better airflow, but i believe that would only work in its full potential if you live in a place with cold weather. if you live in a hot place, i would forget it. id say if you wanted to really eliminate the introduction of air heated by the engine, get tubing to go way to the front and bottom of the car, preferrably where the grill would be present....which is making me wonder about devising an intake which would make use of the drivers side grille in the turbo s, since the passenger side already has the intercooler....anyway, goodluck with your searching. keep us posted on your decision and outcomes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Intake choice (bugley)

Go w/ a filter vs. the Intake...unless that is you can find a real cold air intake for the NB. If so let me know the link. I agree...w/ an intake too much hot air http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif in cold or hot reguardless.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Intake choice (1.8 Terror)

There's always the option of custom-making your own CAI. More work (obviously), but the end result will be exactly what you want AND will probably cost you less.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Intake choice (Iago)

IMO a less restrictive element w/o the additive would help. I have a fear of messing up the MAF. Blinker mod (out with the S/S) with a good heatshield and a nice filter on the 1.8. The TS looks like you could get cold air by extending the stock set up to the grille? Man I'm Tired!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Intake choice (NYNBTS)

When you take out the snorkel / snowbox, your opening is about a 12 - 18 inches up and maybe six inches back from the driver's side small grille. It looks like it could lend itself very nicely to being a source of air with a little pipe extension.
It gave me the idea to just do away with the filter box and run a pipe right from the MAFS down below the battery (maybe swap out the stock battery with a dry-cell DynaBatt to get a little more room) and put a cone filter right there behind that grille.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Intake choice (Iago)

Hi Guy's,
Here's what I've done on my TS so-far:

I used some of the same plumbing that I've been using for my Blinker Mod along with a 2" vent stack flashing (straight off the HS shelf... didn't even trim anything, it tucked right up in there!!!)
Works great for how simple everything was to do.
I might go bigger on the diameter... don't know yet. I think there needs to be some testing as to whether the extra volume is necessary!
Ram Air http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
3vw

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Intake choice (NETBEETLE)

3VW,
Do you think you could give us a break down of the parts you used? I see some sort of grommet thing you used to insert into the existing pipe? Thanks. Way nice job by the way! Do you feel any difference?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Intake choice (NYNBTS)

The grommet he's using is the same part found on the end of your Snowbox that's hidden in the driver's-side fender (on all bugs). Once you remove the snowbox assembly (which comes highly recommended!), you can simply remove and use the grommet. It fits perfectly because it utilized in the same capacity as it was in joining the two parts from the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Intake choice (NETBEETLE)

Where does the filter go then...is it tucked in the bumper?
What do you do to avoid water getting in there? If you go through a big puddle and get water in there all the funz over right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think the water will climb that high

The way the ducting looks, it appears that the water would hit the first 90 degree elbow, and stall there.
Maybe drill a small hole at the bottom of the elbow to drain any water that gets in there.
It would have to be seriously deep water to have the engine pump enough to it to cause damage. In the meantime, you basically turned your Bug into a Bong. Not that I advocate that sort of thing.
AEM makes a CAI air-break (that is the correct spelling) that allows a CAI that is playing submarine to ope up some suck-in valves to allow the motor to breathe air again. You place it above the deepest anticipated water.
I wouldn't worry about water injestion in your ram air kit unless you swamp your beetle a lot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Intake choice (beetlebuzz)

With the Ram Air setup, you are still using your factory airbox (and your factory paper filter if you wish). All of the special ducting/mod is done at the front end of the intake to the airbox. Benefit to this is we're not having the same type of problems with the MAF sensors that the other CAI with oiled cotton filters are having. You can, of course, install a panel filter if you wish....but why take the risk.
As far as water making its way up the intake, I have not had any problems to date. I normally swap-out my blinker with another un-modded unit when I know that I will be driving in rain. I have been taken by suprise several times, running into quick showers, and have not seen any moisture in the airbox (after checking for testing purposes).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.