VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i just got my turbo diesel 1.6l and im sure it will look like the ones posted here as it could have had more attention when it was owned by the previous people, BUT if the intake only has air go through it how does it get so cloged up like in some of the posts with picts, i had many other diesels N/A and any time i have taken off the intake manifold they are tottaly clean, so why with the car., someone please tell me.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Re: INTAKE manifold, WHY does it get cloged if its just air (Island Noel)

because the pcv/crankcase vent goes into the turbo inlet,,makes a mess, this is normal,,,,better off venting it to atmosphere. clogging,,,oh the tdi's have egr,,that really sucks!!!!

Modified by TurboniumHillfolk at 2:47 AM 4-23-2006

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: INTAKE manifold, WHY does it get cloged if its just air (TurboniumHillfolk)

So if i just put a small air filter on the valve cover and plug the hole or make a pipe from the turbo to the front for cleaner cooler air, that will clear it all up? what else can i do to make it run better? It seems to have decent power, yesterday from blane to the ferrys i got it up to 130 and it had more but dont want to push it until i change the oil and stuff like that.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

i plug the hole in the boot,and leave the hose on the valve cover,,make it longer if needed,and put the outlet somewhere you dont want oil drooling everywhere. i have mine run over to drivers side tie rod hole in the body,and put it a few inches in the wheelwell,,,or hook it to a catch can w/one of those filters on top,,later you can use the plugged hole on the intake boot for water injection!!! also, i hada rice cone on the boot,and ditched the airbox,made cool air surround like the stock one for the cone,,i dont have any pics,sorry. this was on my previous car,,need more ideas stop over at vwdiesel.net c u there theres a ton of stuff you can do,, 100hp,maybe is easy and cheap
block the bup boost,turn up the pump,,theres a lot to do for more power,rabbittree had one put out115hp/137 ft pounds,at stock peaks

Modified by TurboniumHillfolk at 7:56 PM 4-23-2006

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Great!! thanks for the tip, Im trying to find out everything i can about this little thing, do they have solid engine and trans mounts or flexible, i think i might have one or more that are shot, and my exhaust is pooched so it has to be replaced, but im going to put on a larger diamiter all the way back like 2" I like it but i have to kill the squeeks and clunks, bangs and then maybe it will stick if not, its going to be the heart in a westfalia.....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

If you have a 1.6, you shouldn't have to worry about the intake clogging issue. I believe the reason for the intake clogging on the TDis is due to the egr design.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Re: INTAKE manifold, WHY does it get cloged if its just air (Ian'89Fox)

yea but the breather still makes the intake a little slimy,,the tdi plugs em up,yes,,,look at any "real" diesel they are usually vented to atmosphere.i like the vw motorsport hard rubber mounts,with a poly front,,,i did fill the trans side withepoxy,and the right side one halfway,,it vibes a little but not really any more noticible than before,i need them or ill break stock ones,,naw,get rid of the toilet bowl downpipe,fab your own from 2.5,add a flex,run 2.5 with no muffler,its quiet u will be surprised,i never run a muffler,and it gives a cool turbo whistle,,if you get crazyw/ boost you can pop a head gasket,,add raceware head studs and good oem gasket,not no felpro junk,,, they are usually ok to around 30 psi or setup like this,,,,,,im sorry the way i type,,my brain is on fire,just spillin the thoughts,lemme know if i need to explain anything here

Modified by TurboniumHillfolk at 12:07 AM 4-24-2006

Modified by TurboniumHillfolk at 12:11 AM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

not sure what you mean about blowing head gaskets and filling what with different stuff on each side? you left me in the dust of the race track mind rush lol
Do you know what model of garrett turbo is in the stock cars, i was thinking after all these years it would probably love a rebuild kit and itercooler, also the larger exhaust

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Island Noel »
not sure what you mean about blowing head gaskets and filling what with different stuff on each side? you left me in the dust of the race track mind rush lol
Do you know what model of garrett turbo is in the stock cars, i was thinking after all these years it would probably love a rebuild kit and itercooler, also the larger exhaust
,,ok if you adjust your turbo boost higher,itll blow head gaskets if you go too far,,if this happens,put in raceware head studs,instead of the stock head bolts and then it will be ok until 30 psi turbo boost,um theres a guy over on vwdiesel.net,sells kits,for rebuild,lemme find link,,,,if you ever see what the vw mounts look like,i fill the voids with epoxy,or some folks use something like butyl rubber stuff,they make poly inserts that fit the voids in the mounts too,,yea you could build your own downpipe,but theses a few guys over on vwdiesel.net that sell homemade ones too,making an exhaust is pretty easy on these cars,i ride downtosummit,and get a bunch of bends,and go home cut them up and weld them intoa system,usually i can do it for around 100-130 in materials for a 2.5 system for myself,,,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I keep trying to join that site but its all in french, WHY? and it wont e-mail me back after i fill out the reg page. i must be doing something wrong

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

further on down the page is english,top is french,,scroll down further?? the english is at the bottom,,,, i saw you there last night(it said to welcome newest member,you)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TurboniumHillfolk »
look at any "real" diesel they are usually vented to atmosphere.

Yep, but in '07 all on highway diesel engines have to have a means of recirculating the crankcase ventilation matter back into the engine.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

thats for new "junk",thats ok,if it could be done right,ya ya emissions etc,whatever,thats y i bought my 79,its over 25 , so no smog check,and i can put in whatever i want,i had 1.6's before, and i know those for power potential.,i had my 4 door jetta do a 15.79 at waterfest a few years ago,remember the woodgrain sleeper look?heehee... ive ridden in tdis,i was impressed on the idea of a tdi in a rabbit ,minus all the electronic stuff i hate,cause i work on that stuff all day.it should get better mileage,cause its dragging less weight,and same for acceleration.basically "they said it couldnt be done/wouldnt work,why bother,its a diesel,,a vw,haahaa"obviously they aint skooled ,now they are. man i feel like the underdog, people look at you funny when you are talkin all hi performance stuff,and they ask what u drive and say "vw" they look at you funny ya know??like you gotta say,now wait a minute bub,,, i hate it,,,oh well,,,,l,who is laughing now?????(this rant was not directed to anyone on the vortex or web at all) maybe thats y i chose the title"this is for all the haters!",now when they laugh ill jus show em the timeslip
but in the meantime go with a little catchcan,and git 'er over to the vwdiesel.net

Modified by TurboniumHillfolk at 11:55 PM 4-24-2006

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ian’89Fox »
Yep, but in '07 all on highway diesel engines have to have a means of recirculating the crankcase ventilation matter back into the engine.
im surprised they have let it go this long ,,actually,,,,,,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

OK, so today i was doing a little work on the car, I pulled off one of the air tubes that goes from the turbo to the intake and it was DRIPPING with oil inside and i know its from that breather coming out of the valve cover.
What can i do to fix this, I want to get rid of the air box entirly and mount a tube to the front where the grill is to gather air, with a cone filter until i can get an intercooler set up, so i wont have any other air source coming in, so what are my options for the valve cover breather? run it down to a oil collection like an empty oil bottle? small filter? Talk to me people. I need your help

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

emptyoiulbottle setupis ok,,ive ran them like that,,imjust tellin ya,,the fumes smell real bad,and icould smell them at a light w/ the heater on,cause i got no raintray,,,try mounting the bottle sorta low,,,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

thats sort of what I am thinking of a bottle, but i dont want the smell or to have a pool of oil under my car in the am, but i also cant have it clogging up my intake/turbo, and smoking down the road, not alot of smoke mind you but still now that I know its a problem I will HAVE to fix it, stuff like this haunts me while im sleeping trying to think up a way to make it right, and run better
I wonder if i could get a doner valve cover and try welding up a back and forth mouse trap like passage way for the air to leave into the turbo where the oil would get trapped in it and drip back into the valve cover. WOW now im thinking how filled up that thing on the valve cover must be with oil, HEY what is that thing anyway.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

oh shoot,i forgot,do you have a "cam shield"?? that helps alot,,theres already "traps" in the valve cover.,that "thing" is a bunch of baffles,theres not really a "pcv valve" in there,its just baffled in there,,,run it into a wheelwell and into a bottle,check it about every 1000 miles or so,,mine used to put about 1/2 a qt in there by then,,,on my old 1.5 it was so bad,i ran it to an elevated can,and put in a drain in the bottom,hooked to a hose that went to the fuel pump block off on the front of the block.no need to drain it,gravity helped there,,try what i said,,,,,and look if you have a cam shield,if you dont,you will see cam lobes when oil filler cap is removed,if you see a black plastic thing and no cam lobes,you already have it

Modified by TurboniumHillfolk at 8:07 PM 4-28-2006

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

ya im looking at the cam when i put in oil, but i wonder if i can get that part from the parts guys.... I will ask tomorrow. thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts