VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Re: intake question (BadassVW)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif agreed, keep it stock, maybe a K&N or ITG drop in filter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: intake question (2003 gtivr6)

a CAI is not going to do much for your car other than making it louder. i have a Velocity CAI and was suprised that there was no noticable hp gains...just this crappy loud growl from under the hood. i didnt have an upgraded exhaust, so maybe that is a factor...
but save your money for a worthwhile mod. get a K&N drop in and use full synth oil...you will notice a difference after that.
good luck!

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

Hey if you want a K&N filter for your car I have one for sale...it's almost new...only had it for about 7K miles.
If you are interested, please let me know...
Thanks.
email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

I agree, a K&N or ITG drop-in air filter will help the 24V breathe a little better.
When I bought my car, I asked a VW mechanic about intakes. He told me with the redesign of the stock airbox, an intake wouldn't provide noticeable gains for the 24V - especially during the hot, humid summers in the DC region.
I don't have a chip or aftermarket exhaust (yet), but I would also have to agree that switching to synthetic oil seems to have made the biggest difference in engine performance so far.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: intake question (Fishbone)

I may have a ES Cool-Flo Race intake for sale real soon if you can hold off for a while. IMO it's an awesome intake.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: intake question (lenny1234)

i'm not sure on this...and i am by no means a scientist or in the oil industry...so take it as you will. this is purely my own dumb speculation:
but i think the reason for more hp output with synthetic oil has to do with the thinner viscosity of the synth oil allowing the inner components of the engine to move more freely. thus causing the engine components to work easier and more efficently. also, i imagine the synth oil is much more durable than the typical oil, which would lead to less thermal break-down over time.
holy crap...i sound like a commercial for synthetic oil or something! lol

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: intake question (lenny1234)

Quote, originally posted by lenny1234 »
Somebody please tell me why synthetic oil makes a difference in HP.
Thanks,
Lenny

Well, it's to do with the fumes given off by synthetic oil when it's heated. It makes the driver of the vehicle truly believe that they now have more HP. It's kind of like crack, I guess.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: intake question (mark4)

Quote, originally posted by mark4 »
Why are you selling?

Because my car is leased and I don't want to hassle with taking it in and out of the airbox as others may want to. I'm going to keep the stock air filter in there until I return the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts

This month's issue of Eurotuner has an article about the EuroSport Cool-Flo race intake on the 24V VR6 GTI. They dynoed it, and got an increase of almost 6HP and 5lb. They also said throttle response improved. I'm thinking about getting one for my GLi...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: intake question (2003GLi)

Quote, originally posted by 2003GLi »
This month's issue of Eurotuner has an article about the EuroSport Cool-Flo race intake on the 24V VR6 GTI. They dynoed it, and got an increase of almost 6HP and 5lb. They also said throttle response improved. I'm thinking about getting one for my GLi...

yeah, I am looking at it now. Made my eyebrow go up. I like the way it fits with the original bolts. BTW, that Passat, amazing isn't it? thought it was a Jetta at first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts