VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,
Been looking at intakes lately and can't decide what to do. I REALLY like the CAI Intakes, especially the one Carbonio makes, but am VERY concerned about water inhalation. I live in Michigan where it storms like a beatch all the time. And am frequently caught in these monsoons. I hear that CAI's are not good for foul weather driving. And then there is the snow factor. At least 6 months of the year I have to deal with that crap. I'm also told I can't use an air bypass valve with my Turbo. My question is "Are CAI's a bad idea for my location? If so, would a Neuspeed P-Flow suffice?" I'm not a big fan of having my air filter exposed (i know there is a heat "shield") in the engine bay and don't know how that would affect my hp and tourque. Anyone live in these areas that have either one of these installed and had any problems??? HELP!!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Re: Intake whoas...Need some advice (SilverGTi01)

Just avoid deep @ss puddles and you'll be fine. Im running that Carbonio CAI and havent had any problems while driving through nasty storms. Since it sits in the bumper, the not much water gets in their unless you drive through like 2 feet deep water. Other than that, you should be fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

Man there a 20th forum just like this that was started today.
I have a GHL and its great. 139.95 shipped. That carbon fiber intake is 250 and not really worth it if u as me. I don't think that carbon fiber intake all that light than my GHL intake and does the same darn thing..... But if u have the money i'm not one to judge.... Plus the guys at GHL seem to know whats going on....
About water, stay out of the lake and you'll be ok... Seriously don't go rallying thru puddles and ur ok...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Intake whoas...Need some advice (20th_Ann_GTi)

Thanks guys....I like Carbon Fiber because of it's ability to ward off heat. Engine bays get hot, but I'll check out that GHL. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stay away from a CAI.
My car is in the shop right now with hydrolock. $5800 + worth of damage. Thank god for insurance, and adjusters who don't look under the hood.
Buy a short-ram, and save the money for something that'll actually give you power... like cams.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SilverGTi01 »
Thanks guys....I like Carbon Fiber because of it's ability to ward off heat. Engine bays get hot, but I'll check out that GHL. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

this topic is so beaten to death its nuts.
the carbon fiber pipe is nothing but a marketing gimmick. the air in the pipe isnt there long enough to be seriously affected by the ambient engine bay heat.
dont listen to the guy above me who thought it would be a good idea to see if his car had hovercraft capabilities. in order to inhale water through a cai youd have to be in about a foot of water, if you end up in a foot of water in a gti/jetta then you have bigger problems than hydrolock

use some common sense and hydrolock isnt an issue. buy whatever cai is the cheapest, theyre all the same thing, carbon fiber to metal to plastic.

Modified by gti415 at 2:22 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Intake whoas...Need some advice (gti415)

We've done temperature tests on various types of tubing used. And yes....Carbon fiber seemed to be the lowest temp in most cases. But the last thing I want is hydrolock, I'm sure my insurance company wouldn't be so understanding. But I think I will go the short ram route seeing winters in michigan are a REAL bastid. Shoot....I may as well put some mandrel bent tubing down to the air inlet to help with the airflow. I dunno....thanks for your suggestions guys!

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I were stock, my jetta would have made it through with zero problems.
Just be smart. You won't make enough power with a CAI over swiss cheese/cool-flo to make a difference. Save your money for something that will actually make signifigant power, like headwork, a chip, or cams.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (senseiturtle)

Quote, originally posted by senseiturtle »
Just be smart. You won't make enough power with a CAI over swiss cheese/cool-flo to make a difference. Save your money for something that will actually make signifigant power, like headwork, a chip, or cams.

P-Plow it is.....and a bigger turbo. Thanks

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Re: (senseiturtle)

Quote, originally posted by senseiturtle »

Seriously. There's a dyno floating around that proves a modded airbox flows higher cfm and more tq. than a CAI, and since I have an intercooler, "colder" air isn't going to make a damn bit of difference after that air hits the turbo.
filter on a stick = filter on a stick
if you do decide to get a CAI, it's not going to make a difference which one, and dont worry about hydrolock. You'd have to submerge your entire front end past the grill, @ 5000 rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts