VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the K&n Cone filter to my maf. I was wondering what is that smaller looking tube for which was on the lower part of my box before i took the box off. Should I just leave that alone ??

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Intake (VWJettaGT1997)

I have a breather filter but the breather is so small the MAF goes over it more then it should i think but doesnt block the filter..exactly what does that tub do anyways ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: Intake (becones)

???? I don't know what tube you are talking about. My breather fits fine. It is near the dipstick for the oil. If it is teh tube up front, i just took taht out and threw it away, and put the breather in there. Maybe someone else can help you understand better. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Intake (VWJettaGT1997)

well let me try to explain somewhat better it was a tube that was on the bottom of the maf connected to the box some pollution tube my friend said

·
Registered
24 Posts

You don't need to put an air breather on it if its what i think it is... if its the hose from the lower back part of the box about guestamate of 2 inches or so.. that just throws out heat.. you don't need a breather cause it doesn't suck in air it throws it out. easiest way to check is to put hand by opening and rev the engine.. if it sucks in air.. put a breather.. if its what i'm talking about an throws out air.. just leave it alone

·
Banned
1,789 Posts

That hose is the vacume pump breather. It helps with the crank case pressure. you do not have to place a filter on it. In fact next time your there take the pump out and throw it as far as you can. POS! Just remember to put a freeze plug in its place!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Intake (vedubin01)

Yea thats the hose im talking about but what do you mean by a freeze plug.

·
Banned
1,789 Posts

Its like a little metal disk that will block anything from going into the head. You get them at the auto parts store for like a $1. You just have to make shure to have the right size. They press in, no big thing!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: Intake (snuffyboy3)

The lower tube ur talking about that goes into the back of the engine is the "Preheat" hose. send hot air to the airbox so engine will heat up faster cold days i assume. its like a 2in silver hose. (well mine was silver) take this off. no need for it.
EDIT: also for the breather filter. take that silly A$$ hose off where it goes into the air pump. slap the breather filter right on there. make sure its on there nice and snug and tight'n that baby right up!
peace,

[Modified by technofly7, 8:52 PM 10-6-2002]

·
Banned
1,789 Posts
Re: Intake (technofly7)

It is not for heating up the intake temp nor anything else. It is a vacuum pump that helps on pollution control by helping with the crank case gasses and pressure. That is all that is for the EPA!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.