VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Jetta 2.5 and am looking to put an intake on it but have heard mixed reviews from friends. So i wanted to see what everyone else has to say. I was looking at the BSH cold air intake but im not sure about it i live in Chicago area people say watch out for hydrolock, but i dont drive threw huge puddles on a regular basis. Also i was looking at the Evolution short ram. I mean the BSH is 274 and the Short ram is 299. Soo let me know what you guys have to say which one is better any others that are better. And what are we looking at as far as better MPG

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Carbonio or BSH. The only story I have heard of about Hydro lock was the tool that drove through 2 feet of water. In fact I think he is selling his BSH, haha...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Re: (VTM2007)

I have the Carbonio, and got my dealership to do the install about a month ago. No CEL whatsoever. It definitely sounds different... in a good way. As for mileage, I haven't done any concrete testing, but subjectively it's slightly better: I'm getting identical mileage as before, but the last couple tanks of gas, I've opened it up a decent amount
-- so if I was driving like a normal person, I'd probably have a marginal improvement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soo the BSH doesnt need the MAF ring. But with the Carbonio you need it is that what you are saying? Just wanna clear that up.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VTM2007 »
Soo the BSH doesnt need the MAF ring. But with the Carbonio you need it is that what you are saying? Just wanna clear that up.

Yup http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and don't worry about Hydrolocking unless you drive through 2 feet puddles for extended periods.

Modified by SpiderX1016 at 1:32 AM 5-30-2009

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: (4ty-phive)

I have heard bad things about the Carbonio. The CF is prone to cracking and even more so to cracking b/c of the extremely tight clamps you need to keep the filter on.
I havent heard many bad things about the BSH and thats an intake Im looking for. CF might be a little tacky in the engine bay and I'd rather have the CEL Free BSH intake. I think they integrate the MAF into the actual piping so you dont need to get the MAF spacer to allieviate any CEL's
The issue with the MAF sensors is that *some* intakes cause the MAF to go loopy and throw a CEL. Some guy came up with a spacer to cure this problem and it seems to work really well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a carbonio, I have had it for maybe a little less then a month. The thing sounds amazing, I felt some pretty good improvements and my gas has gone up quite a bit. Usually when I do a mix of highway/city driving, about 50/50 I will get around 350-380, if I did strictly highway I could get upwards of 430 to a tank. No problems with cracking yet. Installation is a b****, but thats because I didn't have a car jack to take my tire off to take off the fender lining. Overall I feel that it was a really good buy.

·
Banned
8,951 Posts

The guys at G&G are really commited to the scene. I dont want to come in and be part of a comparison as Im obviously biased but if nothing else Id like to support another good company which is G&G. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

hey phil, quick question. On the 2.5L intake do you have to take off the battery ? And also do you extend the MAF wiring or just cut off some tape and extend it there ? Also do you have a lil thing that gets the maf off ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: (OchoCinco5k)

Removal of battery is required to free the maf wiring. to extend the maf wiring you just carefully cut the tape and trace it back till you can re-route the maf wiring to new location. and you will need the 5 lobe security torx bit to remove the special maf sensor screws.
BSH intake is great i have the original version with spacer installed and have been cel-free from day 1 (~ 4500km).

·
Registered
315 Posts
FV-QR

I got a carbonio several months ago and it's great! I'm sure gains are similar between Carbonio and BSH, and install difficulty is probably about the same. Your MPGs will go up by a few MPG if you keep your foot out of it, but you'll hear and feel a difference under full throttle. The best ~$150 I've spent on my jetta!!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Re: (tomas_rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by tomas_rabbit »
Removal of battery is required to free the maf wiring. to extend the maf wiring you just carefully cut the tape and trace it back till you can re-route the maf wiring to new location. and you will need the 5 lobe security torx bit to remove the special maf sensor screws.
BSH intake is great i have the original version with spacer installed and have been cel-free from day 1 (~ 4500km).

Thanks for the review. Installation instructions are available to be viewed on our website for anyone who wants to see how easy it is.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts