VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 part question:
1.I have the oppurtunity to pick up an intercooler from some model volvo. This is gonna be going on a mk3 2.0 8v. This intercooler is huge. Mounted, it looks like it would reach all the way up to my grill. Will this be too big? Is the pressure gonna drop at all? should the size of this thing affect what size turbo I run?
2. How do I know if this thing is any good? it looks as though it is. the piping inlet and outlet are made of plastic, but all the fins look great.. I can take pics if necessary.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: intercooler question: opinions needed. (ez.roller)

The big volvo ic's are a dime a dozen and way too big to fit any VW I've ever seen.
I could barely fit a modified Saab 900 intercooler in my Scirocco!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Re: intercooler question: opinions needed. (ez.roller)

You can approximate the pressure drop by going to bellintercoolers.com, measuring your IC core size and comparing it to their tables. Fitment is a different story. You could always cut it and resolder the end-tank though.
Speedy G

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys. So could I take this thing to a machine shop or something to be cut and welded?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Re: (ez.roller)

People do that here all the time. They take big diesel IC cores from junkyards and cut and reweld them. You need a good aluminum welder though, and pressure test it afterwards.
Speedy G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts