VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on making my vr in to a vrt i am wondering if i only want to run 8psi do i need a intercooler? i had a 2.0t with a small front mounted intercooler but was a lot of work there is no space between the bumper and a/c cond. on the mk3's
so do i need a intercooer for my vrt and if i do where is a good place to put it?

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: intercooler vs. no intercooler (vwsleeper447)

Quote, originally posted by vwsleeper447 »
i plan on making my vr in to a vrt i am wondering if i only want to run 8psi do i need a intercooler? i had a 2.0t with a small front mounted intercooler but was a lot of work there is no space between the bumper and a/c cond. on the mk3's
so do i need a intercooer for my vrt and if i do where is a good place to put it?

You can run without an intercooler with 8PSI, but you would likely need 94+ octane fuel or a headgasket spacer. Best to get an intercooler for more tuning freedom and reliable power.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: intercooler vs. no intercooler (phatvw)

Quote, originally posted by phatvw »

You can run without an intercooler with 8PSI, but you would likely need 94+ octane fuel or a headgasket spacer. Best to get an intercooler for more tuning freedom and reliable power.

i am gonna have to agree with what phatvw has to say.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Re: intercooler vs. no intercooler (scott66)

IC all the way.....even you can get a sidemount, you just need to keep that charged air cool so you avoid predetonation, especially with the added boost now.......if you wanna not run that you can run a water injection, but that imo is more of a hassle

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Re: intercooler vs. no intercooler (vwsleeper447)

8psi, I vote WI insted of IC http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
They would probably cost about the same aswell within reason

·
Registered
921 Posts
Re: intercooler vs. no intercooler (GTijoejoe)

I'm running 7.5PSI non IC. Runs like a beast in cold weather. However, in the summer it pulls timing like crazy. Don't drive it with anything lower than 91 oct. I always ran 93.
For ease of getting the car up and running quickly, don't worry about it. Or for more reliable amount of power get an IC.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Re: intercooler vs. no intercooler (xanthus)

Just go on ebay, and get a decent core for $100 and whip up some custom piping. I did mine in a day and the FMIC made a HUGE difference on my VRT. Highway cruising there was about a 25C drop in the intake temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.