VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Re: Interested in a 1988 5000 Turbo Quattro Avant (MattMarchand)

The good - very rewarding to drive, very versatile and practical.
Things to watch out for: neglect - shoddy maintenance can lead to expensive repair bills down the line. Everything rubber on the car is suspect - intake boots, suspension components. Electrical is pretty good on these cars but they can have some problems. The hydraulic system (brake and steering assist are hydro) frequently leaks. The brake pressure accumulator is probably discharged. These are the biggest issues you are likely to see. The engine/trans a very stout and internal problems are very rare. Its the accessories that kill Audis

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Re: (MattMarchand)

That's how bad "are" the power options.
These cars tend to have short lived switches in them, for windows anyways. I had two cars of the same body style and both of them went through a lot of window switches. (I don't know if they are cleanable, these days I take them apart and clean them)
The power steering system is troublesome if someone has ever put the wrong kind of fuid in it. Make sure it has the green bug gut colored fluid in it, and no leaks. Every 80's vintage Audi I have owned (all 3 of them) have developed leaks in the heater cores. Don't know if this is just my bad karma or not.
They also don't have the best AC systems. Other than that, I'm not sure what to warn you about.
You aren't likely to experience trouble free motoring in a car that old, no matter who made it. They are very enjoyable cars to drive, I have to agree with that. These days that isn't considered that much power but when I bought my 89 200 I thought I was driving greased lightning. Before that I had had an 84 5000 with 115 or so HP and before that a 1980 5000 diesel. Slower than molases in january.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts