VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: Interested in buying a TDI. Any reliablity issues I should know about. (powellren)

In my experience, all the things that have gone bad on my car to its present 160k miles have been pretty common to all B4 cars: door handles, power window regulators, cruise control flakiness, headliner falling, etc. The engine has been great, just make sure the timing belt has been changed at the appropriate intervals (60k) and that the oil has been changed regularly. Oh, and feel free to pop over to tdiclub and ask questions there too. Good luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: Interested in buying a TDI. Any reliablity issues I should know about. (powellren)

air conditioning condenser
door handles
wires that go to rear door crack (dead rear windows)
rattling exhaust
blocked cat if high mileage (causes 10% loss of economy)
instrument cluster hassles
i have had no engine issues at all

·
Registered
375 Posts

Occasionally the intake needs to be cleaned out, the newer cars sometimes have problems with MAF sensors. (VW covers them to 70,000 miles I think, but there is another one that can be used that will last much longer and is less expensive.)
Overall, the drivetrains are excellent, just make sure the person changing the timing belt know what they are doing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts