VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm interested in buying a GTI, mk2's, we had a rabbit, a '79 and i had fond memories of it, i've seen the mk1's and 2's in my car club sitting low, with some 15's and it just looked really cool, obiviously i'm new, sorry i guess i deserve the flack i'm gonna catch for asking dumb questions, but ya gotta start somewhere; my first question is, can i get 200+ hp reliably out of these model engines? if so, would it cost alot? a run down on brief examples of things i would need would help my decission, also, when lowered, how is the handling? it looks like it's great, but i want to know for sure, since i'm asking a bit much from these engines, what type of motor should i look for in the GTI i want to buy? Also, i'm interested in wrenching time, but i don't want to wrench on the side of the road, meaning, i like working on cars, i love it, but i don't want it breaking down on me, if it does, what are the remedies? i'm really sorry for the stupid questions, but i really apperciate any help/gain in knowledge i recieve, i love the stance of these cars so much, they gotta be a great car! thanks for your time!
-Lucas

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Re: interested would-be owner (majorposer)

200 reliable horses, you you could force that out of a 8VT or a well worked 16V, but reliably you should look at an A2 with a 1.8T or a VR6. look for a 91/92 (some 90s) with central electric that way motor swaps are a little easier.
the best handeling is at about 3/4 of an inch drop, but I have ridden in a VR6 4 door a2 that was a lot lower and it handeled very well. all that car had was suspension

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i know that i want a 90 or 91 model year, now i just need to figure out where to go for my engine mods, i don't even have a clue as to what to type into the search engine, any help there?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

any write ups on engine swaps? or recommended reading? like whats needed, as in can i keep the stock gearbox and drivetrain just get the clutch and engine? any links would be helpful, and if 200 is pushing it what is reliable? 150? can i turbo charge it? supercharge it? sorry about the amount of questions

·
Registered
14,099 Posts

VW engines that can go into the A2 are:
8v
16v
G60
1.8t
VR6
If you want 200 hp of reliable power go for the 1.8t or vr6, you could reach that hp easier. You could do a 16v G60 integration kit and push 300+hp with that but it is probably gonna leave you stranded on the road side a few times... but check it out bahnbrenner.com. It's what I plan on doing when I get my A2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
btw: Lowered cars all respond the same way. As far as I know some people say a lowered car has crap handling and others say they handle just fine. Personally, I think its just preference of ride height.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: interested would-be owner (buddylove)

damn, i really don't want to do an engine swap, that site didn't give me a straight answer on turbro's or engine performance stages for the 8v or the 16V, i'll see if i can search, what seems to be the most popular choice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.