VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,022 Posts
Re: Interesting article on a car salesman (pawn707)

Quote »
If the customer isn't a jerk, he or she will probably try to lie. Randy says that because customers assume car salespeople are liars, they feel it's OK to lie themselves. He's had people lie about everything from their income and credit to the price they say their neighbor paid for a car to whether they're selling their old car or when they need the new one. He's been lied to by little old ladies and particle physicists. He's had customers say they are going to buy a car and then drive 30 miles to get $50 off the price. Randy thinks customers feel salespeople are "lower on the scale of evolution." The situation is so bad on the car lot that salespeople say, "All buyers are liars."

From my own personal experience, and that of friends, he sure isn't wrong. Customers lie a LOT, and the attitude he speaks of is rampant.
I can't even remember how many times on the Vortex alone I've heard people tell their tales where THEY were lying in some way shape or form at the car dealer adn justify it just like he says....
Quote »
If the customer isn't a jerk, he or she will probably try to lie. Randy says that because customers assume car salespeople are liars, they feel it's OK to lie themselves. ..... {snip} ...... Randy thinks customers feel salespeople are "lower on the scale of evolution."

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: Interesting article on a car salesman (Sporin)

Quote »
The situation is so bad on the car lot that salespeople say, "All buyers are liars."

Well, if they believe that, then you know what we as consumers believe.
I hate these "woe is me" articles about car salesman. They rape us for the last 30 years and know feel guilty about it and say that we lie just as bad? Please.
And how the heck can you lie about your income and credit? It's on the credit report they pull as soon as they have your license.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Interesting article on a car salesman (CS VW)

I thought the attitude about customers lying was funny because to me, as a consumer, lying is done as a defense whereas dealer lies are an offensive maneuver. Sometimes I've told the dealer whatever they might want to hear ("yeah I'll go think about it and then come back") just to get them off my back. Not for any monetary gain. I'm not a salesman, but at my job excuses aren't valid...there's only so much you can blame on those pesky lying customers.
Just deciding to buy a car, from the consumer perspective, it's instantly a loss right? More so than a house or even a suit (as mentioned in the article) since those don't depreciate nearly as fast or at all compared to an automobile.

Modified by pawn707 at 3:39 PM 7-3-2003

1 - 4 of 4 Posts