VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Travelling under the “less is more” disguise theme, this Chevy SS mule was spotted today outside of San Diego, CA. With a very similar shape to the Pontiac G8, this car is obviously shares the same rear-wheel drive Holden-derived platform on which the Pontiac is based.
Technically the car was “disguised” with tape over the front and rear badges, but there’s no mistaking the bowtie at the front on the chrome horizontal grille divider. Chevy engineers didn’t even bother to disguise the SS badges at the rear or on the lower rear rocker panels.
We thought this might be the new Impala SS, but after consulting with the experts in this forum, it's probably the Middle Eastern market Lumina SS.
There are 40+ Photos in the Gallery here...
http://www.thecarlounge.net/ga...rt=24#

·
Registered
2019 Golf R + 2022 XC90 PHEV
7,393 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (like Pontiac G8) Spotted in San Diego ([email protected])

No!!!!!
GM -- just because you have some awesome cars that many people want doesn't mean you should put them under every brand. Keep this as a Chevrolet in foreign markets only -- yes, it deprives us, but you're doing so well -- don't mess up now!

We get the G8 -- there's really no need for this.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (like Pontiac G8) Spotted in San Diego ([email protected])

Nice looking car. GM must have a facility in/near SD, as I've come across a few of their experiments on the highway or on the bridge to my house.
I've seen Z06 models pre-debut, and a Grand Prix type car with huge wheels/brakes and quad exhausts (v8 - supercharged?)
This Impala looks great. I like the look, although I'm still not a fan of the fender grills...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (PsyberVW)

I have a feeling this is not the Impala SS but the Lumina SS, as they are sold in the Middle East market with LHD, it may just be an easier test mule to run for the Pontiac G8

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (manmanSS)

Quote, originally posted by manmanSS »
I have a feeling this is not the Impala SS but the Lumina SS, as they are sold in the Middle East market with LHD, it may just be an easier test mule to run for the Pontiac G8

Note the Impala badge on the back though... the jumping stag.

·
Registered
17,802 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (PsyberVW)

Quote, originally posted by PsyberVW »
Nice looking car. GM must have a facility in/near SD, as I've come across a few of their experiments on the highway or on the bridge to my house.

Hmmm u have? I've never seen any to speak of. Only mfr. with a presence here that I know of is Nissan...someone in my old neighborhood was always coming home in strange not-sold-here Nissan products.
Nice big pics though...not blurry at all or anything like that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1990 Chevrolet Hatchback
36,950 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

Note the Impala badge on the back though... the jumping stag.

I dunno George...The center trunklid bade looks like a bowtie. Here's the Saudi Lumina SS:

It's a Lumina SS, but I wonder why it's here. They've already been testing G8's here with Pontiac and Holden front ends. Maybe it's close enough for clinic changes for final fine tuning for the USDM?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (PJA)

Quote, originally posted by PJA »

I dunno George...The center trunklid bade looks like a bowtie. Here's the Saudi Lumina SS:

It's a Lumina SS, but I wonder why it's here. They've already been testing G8's here with Pontiac and Holden front ends. Maybe it's close enough for clinic changes for final fine tuning for the USDM?

I re-looked at the badge. You're right. It's a Chevy bowtie.

·
Banned
10,159 Posts

NOO!!!
Thats NOT the next Impala SS!
Every couple of months somebody spots a Middle East market Chevy (aka Holden) being tested in the US and immediately starts freaking out as if they just discovered electricity. These are NOT US market cars... they are Chevys sold in the Middle East.
We are getting it as the G8 but thats the only relation to the US market.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (WhistlerYOW)

Quote, originally posted by WhistlerYOW »
NOO!!!
Thats NOT the next Impala SS!
Every couple of months somebody spots a Middle East market Chevy (aka Holden) being tested in the US and immediately starts freaking out as if they just discovered electricity. These are NOT US market cars... they are Chevys sold in the Middle East.
We are getting it as the G8 but thats the only relation to the US market.

That explains why these guys weren't trying that hard to get away. Some enterprising American tuner should sell a conversion kit for the bowtie fan boys who want to convert a G8 to something else.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (xdre)

Quote, originally posted by xdre »
^^^ Ok, well that closeup pic just about rules it out as an Impala, then. My question is, if the Saudi Lumina is already up on Chevy's website, why the tape over the badges?

Stone chip protection.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (WhistlerYOW)

Why on Earth would you guys want this to be the next Impala??? All you do is bitch that GM badge engineers everything! Look how close it looks to the G8.
The G8 is awesome looking and the Zeta Impala needs to look unique!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: New Chevrolet Impala SS (NitroNSX)

Quote, originally posted by NitroNSX »
Why on Earth would you guys want this to be the next Impala??? All you do is bitch that GM badge engineers everything! Look how close it looks to the G8.
The G8 is awesome looking and the Zeta Impala needs to look unique!

I'm not against badge engineering when the cars are image cars. Any brands trying to come back, IMHO, could use showroom magnets and performance cars help bring in the enthusiasts. I'd have loved to see a black GTO re-badged as a Buick Grand National, but I don't know what turbocharged 6 they'd use.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.