VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today after class I am heading home in M mode, crusing along as always. I exit the highway and head towards my street. As I pull into the turn lane for my apartment complex I shifted back into drive and opend the gate, as I took my foot off the gas the car slowed as if I was in standard mode and the RPM's were dropping.
I think maybe I didnt shift into D all the way so as I check that I look at the MFD and P R D M S are all highlighted and flashing on and off like a curser. There is no gear number just those flashing.
As I pull around the corner and perpair to back into my parking spot, the car doesnt shift into R, its more in N so I try again and nothing, theres a small incline so my car rolls back into my spot.
I shut the car off, let the MFD time out, start the car again, boom, MFD reads me being in P, pull forward, shift into R, car reverse's right back like normal.
Has anyone else had this problem? I havnt seen any threads about it, when I go to work later I will be driving with my vag in the whole way to see if it throw's an error's or if it happens again. I am a little past my 10k service, but as I did the oil myself and have no free time I havnt taken it in yet, maybe I should make some free time. I might call wednesday and see if the dealership has heard of it happening. I guess at the moment that the car got confused so it freaked out, kinda like when I put in the euro tails / switch and most of the dash warning lights were on for a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (phazed)

Haven't seen that either (11k miles), but will say that the car slowing the way you described (like a manual car) happens regardless. It just may not be as noticable sometimes because it's not downshifting as high. It seems to me the DSG computer's adaptation is pretty quick, as only after a few minutes of driving (even in D) agressive, it will hold the rpm's longer as a result.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Interesting DSG Error... (Ripskin)

I had the same error you described where all the gear letters are lit up and the check engine lights were on. I was told if its flashing then you should be worried. But mine werent so I took it in to shop and they said it was a fault with the speed sensor and replaced it. Could be just a short.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Re: Interesting DSG Error... (Ripskin)

When "P R N D S" is flashing, it means the DSG is confused and isn't sure what gear it needs to be in(so it goes into Neutral). This can be corrected by stopping and putting it into "Park". You should then be able to select a gear.
This can happen, for instance, if you have it in Park, press the brake pedal, select a gear and release the brake before the DSG completes the gear selection.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Interesting DSG Error... (mike3141)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »
Haven't seen that either (11k miles), but will say that the car slowing the way you described (like a manual car) happens regardless. It just may not be as noticable sometimes because it's not downshifting as high. It seems to me the DSG computer's adaptation is pretty quick, as only after a few minutes of driving (even in D) agressive, it will hold the rpm's longer as a result.

I think what I ment was at the speed I enterd the gate I shoulda still been in third or high second with the RPM range. When I am in D the car holds its momentum a little better, instead of the gears doing more braking than what my foot is asking for from the pads, thats why I looked down and saw the problem.
Quote, originally posted by Phoeneex »
I had the same error you described where all the gear letters are lit up and the check engine lights were on. I was told if its flashing then you should be worried. But mine werent so I took it in to shop and they said it was a fault with the speed sensor and replaced it. Could be just a short.

Hmm, thanks for the info, only the P R N D S were flashing, no dash lights came on, ill be extra carefull on my way to and from work tonight to see if it happens again, if so its off to the dealer in the morning :\
Quote, originally posted by mike3141 »
When "P R N D S" is flashing, it means the DSG is confused and isn't sure what gear it needs to be in(so it goes into Neutral). This can be corrected by stopping and putting it into "Park". You should then be able to select a gear.
This can happen, for instance, if you have it in Park, press the brake pedal, select a gear and release the brake before the DSG completes the gear selection.

Hmm very interesting, mine didnt go to neutral, it never left M mode which explaines why it didnt sift into reverse, but only to neutral when I tried.
From M to D there is no need to brake so maybe I had bad timing switching from brake for turn to gas right as I shifted.

Thanks for the replies all, if nothing happens tonight I will hold off till I have more time to take it in but I will post what they say.
:edit:
Hmm I couldnt find any fault codes with the Vag Com, oh well, problem didnt occur again, adding to what was said ealier the car might have been about to or in the middle of a shift when I moved from M to D caused it to freak out.

Modified by Ripskin at 12:20 AM 3-28-2006

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.