VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/25/2016

Kvyat has a bleacher section named after him in Russia. Turn 4 is known as Daniil Kvyat Section. Apparently, all his friends have been notified of this. (we may see some Daniil action right about there this weekend!)

Jean-Eric Vergne turns 26 today. He is a reserve driver for Ferrari and currently races in Formula E

34 years ago today, Didier Pironi won the San Marino GP. Due to disagreements between the teams and association, only 17 cars started the race. Towards the end, Pironi was in P2, right behind Villeneuve. The team gave instructions to save the cars and to keep positions, yet Pironi ignored orders and passed Gilles for the win. Afterwards, Gilles never spoke with Didier again.

15 years ago today, Michele Alboreto died while testing for LeMans.

Massa turns 35 today

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anybody read about how Mercedes and possibly RB have supposedly figured out how to allow the tire pressures to stay the same from what they are set at when the car leaves the pits?
The trick perhaps involves an additional chamber inside the wheels that helps the air stay cool, rather than heat up. When it heats up it reduces the contact patch and that will result in lack of traction as was evident with Ferrari in Barcelona.
McLaren actually asked the FIA for clarification of the rules relating to tire pressures.....

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Has anybody read about how Mercedes and possibly RB have supposedly figured out how to allow the tire pressures to stay the same from what they are set at when the car leaves the pits?
The trick perhaps involves an additional chamber inside the wheels that helps the air stay cool, rather than heat up. When it heats up it reduces the contact patch and that will result in lack of traction as was evident with Ferrari in Barcelona.
McLaren actually asked the FIA for clarification of the rules relating to tire pressures.....
Interesting. For the life of me I can't imagine a way to do this and not disturb the aero. It also has me wondering how you keep the inflation air cool but let the carcass heat up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Supposedly there are two teams that not only have a trick up their sleeve when it comes to tire pressure. Not only can they keep the same pressure as set from the start, but they have figured out a way to actually lower them by 2PSI !
The FIA is aware of this and whatever the system is, apparently is legal.
I mistakenly mentioned RB and Mercedes, but they actually speculate that it is RB and STR. I had to re-read the article on German site Auto, Motor und Sport.
By lowering the pressure, it widens the tires contact patch and brings up to .4 per lap, depending on the circuit.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Renault is bringing updated engines for Monaco since they tested so well. Evidently they won't have enough for all drivers. Not really a big deal for that race.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I guess RIC is getting one and not Max. I'm certainly wondering how RB will fare against Ferrari and also Mercedes. I would not rule out a RB pole. Not even sure how well RIC has done around here. Max, perhaps?
Another one to look out for is McLaren. They had the 3rd best time in the third sector in Barca! Even ahead of Ferrari!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Jules Bianchi’s family launches legal action against FIA, F1 Group, Marussia

From NBCSN
May 26, 2016

The family of Jules Bianchi has begun legal action against the FIA, the Formula 1 Group and Marussia F1 Team over the Frenchman’s death from injuries sustained during the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix.

Bianchi suffered a diffuse axonal injury after crashing into a recovery vehicle at high-speed during the race at Suzuka in wet conditions.

The Frenchman died last July at the age of 25, nine months after the accident.

An investigation into the accident deemed that Bianchi had been driving too quickly under yellow flags, and cleared the event organizers and race officials of any blame.

However, Bianchi’s family today announced via British law firm Stewarts Law that it would be challenging these claims by launching legal action against the FIA, Formula One Group and the Marussia team.

“The family of Formula One racing driver, Jules Bianchi, has today announced they plan to take legal action in England relating to the fatal head injuries Jules Bianchi sustained in a violent collision with a mobile crane at the Japanese Grand Prix in Suzuka, 2014,” a statement read.

“Stewarts Law, the country’s largest litigation-only law firm, have this week sent formal pre-action letters of claim to:

the World Governing Body of Formula One, the FIA;
Team Marussia, who Jules was driving for at the time; and
the Formula One Group of companies, who control the TV and media rights for the sport.

“The letters explain why the Bianchi family feel the actions of one or more of those parties, amongst others, may have contributed to Jules’ fatal accident and invite them to accept that errors were made in the planning, timing, organisation and conduct of the race which took place in dangerous conditions during the typhoon season in Japan.

“The recipients of the letters of claim will be expected to respond in due course, to explain their actions in connection with the race and to indicate if they dispute the claim.”

“Jules Bianchi’s death was avoidable,” Stewarts Law partner Julian Chamberlayne added. “The FIA Panel Inquiry Report into this accident made numerous recommendations to improve safety in Formula One but failed to identify where errors had been made which led to Jules’ death.

“It was surprising and distressing to the Bianchi family that the FIA panel in its conclusions, whilst noting a number of contributing factors, blamed Jules.

“The Bianchi family are determined that this legal process should require those involved to provide answers and to take responsibility for any failings. This is important if current and future drivers are to have confidence that safety in the sport will be put first.

“If this had been the case in Suzuka, Jules Bianchi would most likely still be alive and competing in the sport he loved today.”

Jules’ father, Philippe Bianchi, explained the decision to launch legal action.

“We seek justice for Jules, and want to establish the truth about the decisions that led to our son’s crash at the Japanese Grand Prix in 2014,” Bianchi Sr. said.

“As a family, we have so many unanswered questions and feel that Jules’ accident and death could have been avoided if a series of mistakes had not been made.”

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Yeah, I guess RIC is getting one and not Max. I'm certainly wondering how RB will fare against Ferrari and also Mercedes. I would not rule out a RB pole. Not even sure how well RIC has done around here. Max, perhaps?
Another one to look out for is McLaren. They had the 3rd best time in the third sector in Barca! Even ahead of Ferrari!
RIC was fastest in afternoon practice but Mercedes was doing long runs so you can't tell. The race looks to be a one stopper. This race is rarely a good one but the views are always awesome.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
You can tell the new upgrade is doing well in RIC's car doing at 1:14.607, now if RB can dial in the car we could see a flat 1:14's. I only see a 5% difference in Alonso's upgrade, just don't know whether it's a plus or minus improvement. The Ultra soft seems to be getting away on the back side of the car, too bad you can't use different (mix set of tires) compounds in your setup to see better handling and lower time sheets. I know I did 1:14's in my 2011 F1 PS3 and 1:16's 2014 F1 using a Thrustmaster Ferrari steering wheel setup in practice mode just to see where I'm at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Loved that F1 game. Too bad they stopped making them for the platform :-(
James Allen thinks the all time lap record could fall this weekend. Could it be a RB??

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm surprised that not much is written about the tire pressure situation and how two teams seem to be mastering it. Other teams like Ferrari and McLaren are actually struggling with the tires and the higher pressures that Pirelli have mandated.
Currently the FIA measures pressures after the tires have been used. It involves downloading data from a recorder. Funny how they don't have live readings (due to be changed for 2017).
Anyway, apparently the teams are heating up the brakes on the car and also have special covers that retain the heat. The tires get mounted and the heat flows from the brakes through the wheel into the tire. The tire pressures rises, yet the pressure is then lowered to satisfy the FIAs starting requirements.
In the past, teams immediately worked to put heat into the brakes, yet now they try to achieve the exact opposite, and teams even have special deflection devices attached to the wheels (inside spokes?) to deflect the heat away from the wheels.
Some are said to be using Teflon strips between wheels and brakes to achieve cooling effect. In addition, only the actual swerving back and fourth is now used to get heat into the tires.
All this achieves a lower pressure, which creates a larger contact patch to the road and thus better traction and less tire wear. Some teams are so skilled that they can even achieve a bigger drop in pressure while racing.
I mentioned before that Mercedes, RB and STR are rumored to be using this trickery. It would explain their performance and also explain Ferrari's issues........
FIA is aware of this, yet is not expected to do anything until next year, since this does not go against current regs.......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts