VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in a pickle--i have a 2000 VW golf 1.8 turbo. i was driving home at about 40-45 mph and my water pump exploded, and then broke my timing belt, and now we are wondering if my valves are bent. i am told that a key to knowing whether this happened or not, is knowing if my engine is an interference or non-interference engine...my mechanics belive it IS, but are not 100% sure. any advice on how to fix this cheaply??? my mechanic suggests putting on a new timing belt first, and then seeing if it starts. if so, then jackpot, no big bill for me....if not, and the valves are bent, then we go into the head to assess the damage.
is this the best/cheapest way to approach this problem?
he has quoted me about 2000 for all the work in the worst case scenario of bent valves...
thank you to all who invest time in helping me!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Re: interference engine or not? (heygirlfriend)

Quote, originally posted by heygirlfriend »
i am in a pickle--i have a 2000 VW golf 1.8 turbo. i was driving home at about 40-45 mph and my water pump exploded, and then broke my timing belt, and now we are wondering if my valves are bent. i am told that a key to knowing whether this happened or not, is knowing if my engine is an interference or non-interference engine...my mechanics belive it IS, but are not 100% sure. any advice on how to fix this cheaply??? my mechanic suggests putting on a new timing belt first, and then seeing if it starts. if so, then jackpot, no big bill for me....if not, and the valves are bent, then we go into the head to assess the damage.
is this the best/cheapest way to approach this problem?
he has quoted me about 2000 for all the work in the worst case scenario of bent valves...
thank you to all who invest time in helping me!

This is an interference motor. Your best bet is looking around the classifieds for a good used head and slapping it on, but you should check if your valves are bent first.

·
Registered
11,736 Posts
Re: (-Khaos-)

Quote, originally posted by -Khaos- »
yeah, guaranteed your head is dead.

Yup

PS, ive got a head that will fit. ported and polished w/ supertech ex valves $700 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.