VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here
I've been reading this board for a wile and finally decided to join. You guys have a very cool place in here. I don't drive a VW, but my wife does have a 98 Beetle - very nice compact, love taking it for a spin time to time.
I have a question about interior lights. Since I don't know much about VW, I need an advice. I need to install some sort of the dome light or maybe something on the sides or even the floor to get some more illumination on the back seat of the car.
I need to find the place to hook up the wires so the light can go up when the doors gets opened.
Thank you in advance

Alex

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: interier light question (Gary Miyakawa)

Ya... and I, like catsnet, wish there was more illumination in there. I dunno about the rest of you, but that light under the rear view just doesn't cut it for me. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Re: interier light question (catsnet)

You could probably wire in the reading lights the '99+ NBs have. It would require cutting a part of the headliner, not to mention taking it down to route the wires. But it's possible.

-Des

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: interier light question (Deserion)

which pillar the wires are going to the reading lights (passenger or a driver)
I was thinking to tap them somewhere before they reach the roof so I can hide the wires.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

IMO, you could make an extension off of the wire going into the mirror light, extending it near the antenna base. From there, you could splice it so you have a part going down to each side. Then connect the rear map lights into the wires, mount in headliner, voila.

-Des

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: interier light question (Deserion)

I have a retarded idea....ummm you know those round lights they sell on tv that you press down and they light up? one of these could temporarily adhere to the roof, easily without having to cut...wire ect. just with batteries....I put a couple in my trunk with velcro cuz that little trunk light doesnt work for messy trunks. I dunno its a silly Idea but hey...you can find these at the dollar store

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: interier light question (vickyvm)

I would purchase the rear reading lights for the 99+NBs from the dealer. Run a wire from the mirror light under the headliner for power. There is a light on both sides in line with the front of the rear seat. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts

I just got my new-to-me 98 Beetle TDI, and I agree, the light on the mirror is just - awful. Up here in Canada where we only get short burts of daylight from November thru March, if I drop a pen or something in the car, I might as well wait for summer to find it.
I will be looking into the 99+ map lights, and other options, and posting my findings. And I will watch to see what others may have success with.
Failing that, I'll get a flashlight...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.