VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you who might have seen my post about my stolen car. It's since been found and was returned cleaner to me before it was stolen... its a long story from another thread.
Anyways, I've been lookin inside lately and I've decided I'm not really digging the Black on Black interior.... I mean, I have done a cabby dash swap which I am happy with. Brand new black tmi carpet... and completely black tmi vinyl seat upholstery. The only problem is that the door cards don't really match the rest of the car.... It almost looks... too black?
The door cards I got were from a cabby and then i painted the rears one black... I was thinking of just getting brand new tmi ones and was wondering what you guys thought of another color inserted into the door card. I noticed TMI has some grey etc. What color do you think would go well with the rest of the interior???
PIctures to come...

Modified by funkengruven GTi at 7:08 AM 11-30-2007

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Interior advice... (backinthegame)

Quote, originally posted by backinthegame »
I say go with grey door cards, Then get grey seats to match and sell me your black ones.

Thanks but I'm super happy with the seats. Fit really well... the head rests are a pain in the arse.
Any other ideas? Im wondering if a grey insert would look even more out of place then the all black interior.

· Registered
3,564 Posts
Re: Interior advice... (Kraftw3rkJetta)

I would just get the all black door cards from TMI. That way they will match your seats perfectly. Don't mess with a colored insert, it would just through the whole interior off no matter what the color. Black will be classy forever.
my 2 cents.

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (JUS_GT_EYEZ)

Quote, originally posted by JUS_GT_EYEZ »
i like the all black... dark grey inserts would not look bad though.

are those mk5 mats?

Yes there are!
THey fit for the most part so I figrued why not. I liked the white rabbit they had on there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (definition56)

Quote, originally posted by definition56 »
white might look nice with the color of you car. Dig the pinhole seats btw

Thanks! Curtis at Concept 1 helped me out. They had a bunch of swatches fabric, tweed and vinyl so it was sort of a hard decision. I've ever been so in-decisive in my life...

I think the tmi door cards is a good idea. I thought it would match the seats perfectly. Thanks for all the positive feedback!
The next problem is finding interior handles for the door cards they provide. I think they don't come with any holes and they are made for the one hander grip. the tiny ones.

· Registered
722 Posts
Re: (funkengruven GTi)

The TMI panels for my cabriolet came with all of the holes through the backer board, not the outer covering. I have the larger L shaped handles and just opened up the holes that were needed.
You could also do the inserts with the black tweed. That way there would be a texture difference, not a color difference.

· Registered
7,354 Posts
Re: (funkengruven GTi)

Quote, originally posted by funkengruven GTi »

Yes there are!
THey fit for the most part so I figrued why not. I liked the white rabbit they had on there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

How well does the one fit under the petals?

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (mk13nb)

Quote, originally posted by mk13nb »
The TMI panels for my cabriolet came with all of the holes through the backer board, not the outer covering. I have the larger L shaped handles and just opened up the holes that were needed.
You could also do the inserts with the black tweed. That way there would be a texture difference, not a color difference.

I like this idea!

· Registered
31 Posts
I think your interior is looking great. If your going to go with more color on the door cards, Id try to introduce the same color elsewhere also.
Can you elaborate on the TMI seat covers? Did you recover your seats using their covers or have it done by a shop? They look fantastic!

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (89PalermoSHP)

Quote, originally posted by 89PalermoSHP »
I think your interior is looking great. If your going to go with more color on the door cards, Id try to introduce the same color elsewhere also.
Can you elaborate on the TMI seat covers? Did you recover your seats using their covers or have it done by a shop? They look fantastic!

Thanks! The Tmi covers come in 5 seperate sections. The butt section (what you sit on), the side bolsters (to the butt section) seperately, the upper section (or backrest) with new foam center piece and head rest.
To complete the job, you need patience... more patience followed with patience. This would be a heck of a lot more effective had I taken pictures but hind sight is 20/20... sorry guys. I'll do a write up anyways for fun.
I started by taking off all the old fabric. I decided to seperate the chair into two pieces. The back rest and the actual frame. For the mot part it was rather simple. Tear off the fabric being careful not to wreck the foam bolsters for back rest and butt section. Each section has a small metal wire inside to attach a hog clip to a part of the frame. This was the most annoying part... un-clipping all the old factory rings.. or hog clips (whatever they are called) and opening them just enough so I could re-use them. I was too lazy and poor to go out to an interior shop to get some. If you have the cash, I would seriously consider getting new ones. The time and effort to get the old ones off was not worth it.

Continuing on... I left all the sections out in the sun to make them a little more pliable. I started with the bottom frame, side bolsters. The ones that hold your legs in. Having the vinyl in the sun, you stretch it around the foam bolsters... be sure to have your metal wire already inserted in its sleeve. (Some of my metal rods were so bent out of shape i just went to home depot and got some small brass rods and cut them to length). After they are in palce, clip them in with those damn hog rings. The backrest was much the same and a little easier then the butt section. Prepare the backrest piece by inserting the metal rods in their respective sleeves. This will make so much more sense when you see it up front. Slip the back rest cover over the frame and stretch down to where it needs to go. Use your new shiny hog rings and clip the new foam center piece to the frame. I had to feel around where the head rest holes and slidy thing on the side were since I couldnt figure out a better alternative.
The butt cushion was by far the most.. annoying... You take your old butt cushion which is a huge piece of foam and wrap the new vinyl piece around it... since it squishes in and out so much, its hard to get the proper placement....
I hope this gives you some idea of whats ging on.... i know it seems rather chaotic without photos but if you take the time to analyze your seat parts. its a breeze. One seat, me being extra careful took about 3-4 hours. It took me a few weeks to muster up the energy to do the other one
Overall I'm pretty happy with the final product. I am doing the rear seat in january.
hope that helped!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.